Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Going back to film

This topic has a poll - login to enter
Posted 26/09/2009 - 18:24 Link
I have been using my K10 ever since I had it with 5 camera bodies collecting dust. I was looking at lenses yesterday and came to the conclusion that I should go back to film. M lenses are cheap and even though film and processing can be expensive, I can buy a lot of film and processing for the price of one 300mm 2.8 DA* lens. I will continue to use my K10 for sports photography and when lighting is poor, but I will use my ME for street photography. The K10 may be a Pentax but there is nothing like holding a clasic.
Who is going back to film even in it's part-time or Digital only?
B. R. Foster
Edited by pentaxian67: 26/09/2009 - 18:25
RichardDay
Posted 26/09/2009 - 18:40 Link
Every now and then I take my OM-1 and my 3 Zuiko's (28, 50 and 135) out for an airing.

Nostalgic? Yes
Lovely construction and feel? Yes
Longevity and reliability? Yes
Forces more thought and creativity? Probably
Anything else? Not really

I love my K20D plus DA17-70, DA*60-250 and FA50 macro, but I will never get rid of my OM kit, there are too many great memories attached to it as I took many thousands of great shots with it over 25+ years as our family grew up.

BTW, your poll should have a third option of both. But as I use digital 99% of the time I did click digital.
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
Edited by RichardDay: 26/09/2009 - 18:44
ChrisA
Posted 26/09/2009 - 18:43 Link
I've answered 'digital', since I can't see myself going back to film.

However, as you may have noticed from my ongoing saga of negative scanning, I've been looking at my old photographs for the first time in 20+ years.

They're nowhere near as sharp as my digital pics taken since the beginning of '07 (all with the K10D), not least because I was using mostly a very mediocre super-zoom in those days. And any pixel-peeping reveals far more grain than I'm used to seeing now, especially on faster film.

However, I'm loving the dynamic range of film. Shadow detail, and no sodding cyan stripes across the sky with the slightest hint of overexposure.
mowog
Posted 26/09/2009 - 18:52 Link
After a gap of about three years, I recently started developing B&W film again. No more enlarging, though. Bought a Canon scanner and am enjoying messing about with bulk film (Ilford Pan400) and developer (Rodinal), again. No darkroom needed - Just a good changing bag.
I never liked printing (and was never much good at it). Don't miss that at all!
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.
jackitec
Posted 26/09/2009 - 19:01 Link
Digital for me, I will never go back to film in fact I have just put my ME Super up for sale today, I dug it out last night to check it and it still has a lovely feel to it, it's a pity we can't get a digital one,
Jack.
womble
Posted 26/09/2009 - 19:04 Link
I've said this before, I'm not going 'back' to film as I have never entirely left it! Just sent 37 rolls of BW off for dev, print and scan. I do, however, take vastly more digital images than film.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
hefty1
Posted 26/09/2009 - 19:12 Link
I'm going to watch some motor sport tomorrow (hill climbing) and I've just been packing my camera bag in readiness for an early start.

I've got the K10D in there with the DA12-24 / DA35 / Tamron 70-300 lenses, a Leica Minilux with a fresh roll of Fuji Reala 100, and a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta IV loaded with Ilford Delta 400. A nice mix of digital, 35mm and medium format to use as situations dictate.

I'm not going back to film because I don't think I ever fully left it...
Joining the Q
hefty1
Posted 26/09/2009 - 19:14 Link
womble wrote:
I've said this before, I'm not going 'back' to film as I have never entirely left it!

snap!
Joining the Q
PeteL
Posted 26/09/2009 - 19:30 Link
Strangely enough i was looking for my old KM yesterday when i picked up one of my MX`s, It felt strange at first but once i took a peek through the viewfinder at that seemingly enormous screen then i was almost tempted to put a roll of film through it (I still have some Agfa colour neg in my fridge from my family mugshot days! No i won`t go back. But i was tempted!

Perhaps one day when i`m older and greyer just to show the grandchildren how photographs were once made. I might even drag my Vivitar enlarger down from the loft. Though the paper and chemicals might be a bit off by then!

Regards - Pete.
Posted 26/09/2009 - 19:31 Link
It seems that film does have a place in photography.Too bad that Pentax doesn't make a DSL that looks and feels just like the ME. Even if its a limited edition. I think they won't be able to make them fast enough.
B. R. Foster
alfiemooon
Posted 26/09/2009 - 19:42 Link
Digital may be "easier",what with uploading & processing but I have heard a few comments about digital lacking "grain".

Now where`s my old OM10?

Nic
K10D,K20D
Pentax 18-55,Tamron AF 70-300,Sigma 150-500
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ
Edited by alfiemooon: 26/09/2009 - 19:42
Oggy
Posted 26/09/2009 - 21:46 Link
RichardDay wrote:
Every now and then I take my OM-1 and my 3 Zuiko's (28, 50 and 135) out for an airing.

Nostalgic? Yes
Lovely construction and feel? Yes
Longevity and reliability? Yes
Anything else? Not really

Head, nail etc. (except I had a 28-80ish Tokina instead of the 28mm).

I occasionally get my OM1 out and it is a beautiful piece of engineering and I get dewy eyed then I look at the results I got with it and I have to say that 99/100 times the K20 knocks it into a cocked hat.

In a similar vein, I have been restoring a 1977 Italian motorcycle for many years now, but it keeps going through my mind that compared with modern bikes, it's going to be dreadful to ride.
ChrisA
Posted 26/09/2009 - 22:38 Link
alfiemooon wrote:
Digital may be "easier",what with uploading & processing but I have heard a few comments about digital lacking "grain".

It does. But I really don't think we'd want to go back to it.

Trust me here. Else, send me your negs to scan, for a very reasonable fee.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
alfiemooon
Posted 26/09/2009 - 23:15 Link

Hey Oggy...if Carlsberg did photography,eh?...ha ha ha

Nic

(sorry,just my sense of humour)
K10D,K20D
Pentax 18-55,Tamron AF 70-300,Sigma 150-500
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ
Oggy
Posted 26/09/2009 - 23:34 Link
alfiemooon wrote:

Hey Oggy...if Carlsberg did photography,eh?...ha ha ha

Nic

(sorry,just my sense of humour)

Never mind Carlesberg, try one of these (but not two).

Comment Image
Comment Image

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.