Digital LX anyone ?
Posted 24/09/2009 - 10:03
Link
I was just thinking the same at the weekend. I recently bought an ME Super and have really enjoyed using it - I do like my K10D but there is something about the handling of the old Pentax slrs - they just feel right. What a shame the "digital film" idea never made it into production.
Posted 24/09/2009 - 11:22
Link
A digital MZ5 would suit me fine. An Autofocus camera with; Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and ISO adjustment. All other modes and custom functions are not essential and only clutter the interface. Most custom tweeks can be better handled in Photoshop.
Friendly Regards
Graham
Graham
Posted 24/09/2009 - 11:49
Link
Yes, I'll have one!... Put me down for a digi Spotmatic, too.
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.
Mowog.
Mowog.
Posted 24/09/2009 - 12:09
Link
Manual and AV exposure modes, manual mirror lock up and DOF preview, I'd keep SR, interchangeable viewfinders... One thing I would like is an exposure meter that doesn't require the eye-piece to be covered like the LX which metered off the film plane. Oh, and a big, bright, easy to see viewfinder (although I believe the K7 is much better in that respect that the K10D.
K.
K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 24/09/2009 - 12:53
Link
I liked the K10D prototype that looked like a Spotmatic, I never use the built in flash anyway.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 24/09/2009 - 13:16
Link
Count me in,I do miss the 70,s & 80,s camera,s.john
Posted 24/09/2009 - 13:37
Link
BTW, am I the only person who feels the K7 has echoes of the LX in looks?
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 24/09/2009 - 13:59
Link
No, I spotted in one the first shadowy pictures, something about the pentaprism housing.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 24/09/2009 - 14:02
Link
Here are some designer's notes: LX K-7 link
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Posted 24/09/2009 - 14:13
Link
Digital MX please. ( or MESuper would do) Small and perfectly formed....
.........all the gear, no idea!
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Posted 24/09/2009 - 15:56
Link
An early Pentax digital experiment involved a MZ-S body and (I think) a Kodak sensor.
I think they made the right decision to use neither that body, or that sensor.
I am more than happy with the ergonomics of the K10/20D + grip combination.
I think they made the right decision to use neither that body, or that sensor.
I am more than happy with the ergonomics of the K10/20D + grip combination.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 24/09/2009 - 16:32
Link
A digital LX would be difficult to make because you'd have to solve the problem of the way digital sensors reflect light first. True TTL flash metering works the same way as the LX's OTF metering and is notoriously inacurate on the few digital SLRs which actually suport it. This was "solved" for flash metering by P-TTL and similar pre-flash based systems. A digital LX would have to meter like a mortal camera.
Unfortunately, while if I came to own such a thing I would think it fantastic, I would never buy one. The price would necessarily be too high.
Digital SLRs require a sensor, which is expensive, and processing electronics to back it up, which is also expensive. To do the LX justice the imaging system would need to be first rate (you wouldn't put boots own brand 200ISO film in a real LX would you? well then) which would mean it would be no cheaper and significantly less capable than the K7.
Worse, so few people would actually buy one that it would be a niche item, probably commanding a price more akin to a Leica R9 or M9.
There is no LXD or Auto110D for the same reason there is no Nikon F5D, Canon AED or Olypus OMD. Not enough people would buy it to make it worth doing.
nice dream though.
Unfortunately, while if I came to own such a thing I would think it fantastic, I would never buy one. The price would necessarily be too high.
Digital SLRs require a sensor, which is expensive, and processing electronics to back it up, which is also expensive. To do the LX justice the imaging system would need to be first rate (you wouldn't put boots own brand 200ISO film in a real LX would you? well then) which would mean it would be no cheaper and significantly less capable than the K7.
Worse, so few people would actually buy one that it would be a niche item, probably commanding a price more akin to a Leica R9 or M9.
There is no LXD or Auto110D for the same reason there is no Nikon F5D, Canon AED or Olypus OMD. Not enough people would buy it to make it worth doing.
nice dream though.
you don't have to be mad to post here
but it does help
but it does help
Posted 24/09/2009 - 23:30
Link
A Digital LX would not have to replicate the Film Version in function just take on the mantle of its status as an iconic top of the range Camera!
And LX-D sounds classier than D1 or whatever number they come up with next!
Best Regards - Pete
And LX-D sounds classier than D1 or whatever number they come up with next!
Best Regards - Pete
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


271 posts
20 years
Stockholm
For my part I could happily part with auto focus and shake reduction. I never had them in the past of course. Then I would not need all the clever programming modes either. In the old days I mainly used manual and aperture priority. The mount would have to be non crippled of course. As for the sensor for this camera I'll like to have full frame.
I would imagine a camera with a specification like that would appeal to a very small niche market and so cost a fortune. It will never happen of course, but that's my dream anyway.
Anyone else want one ?
Cheers,
/Ian.