PLUS

Lubbyman

Joined: 28th March 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Lubbyman
HarisF1 wrote:
I'd experiment on getting infinity focus using the image zoom (I think it works) and then just use a bit of tape to hold the focus ring in that spot.
Thanks, good suggestion.
How did the world survive before sticky tape was invented??

HarisF1 wrote:
The depth of field is extremely large so you rarely need to adjust focus.
That's what I was expecting from experience with other Q lenses, but moving the focus ring even a tiny bit had a big effect so I assumed the ring was there to be useful.

No time to try it out today, will have to wait until tomorrow or Monday. I'll be back...

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Fishy Q Question at 30/03/2019 - 11:16

Lubbyman
HarisF1 wrote:
The focusing points are completely useless. One quarter of the whole scale goes from near to infinity focus, then the rest goes beyond infinity.
Thanks. That explains why focus seemed quite random this afternoon. I'm not usually so bad at manual focus.

So is focussing a matter of either using the screen or trusting to luck? I was hoping to be able to use a one-handed 'point, quick touch on the lens then shoot' approach while walking the dog.

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Fishy Q Question at 29/03/2019 - 21:55

Lubbyman
Has any Q enthusiast calibrated the focus scale on the Q 03 fisheye lens? The marks on the lens are no use without focus distances. A first play with it today convinced me that focussing does matter, and checking focus on the screen isn't always possible.

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Fishy Q Question at 29/03/2019 - 19:53

Lubbyman
Just received a refurbished Q-S1 and couple of Q lenses from SRS. Arrived very quickly, as expected. Everything present and correct, as expected. What wasn't expected were 2 Pentax Q camera pouches, neither ordered nor charged for.

Now, I can understand one pouch for the Q-S1 as a generous free gift. But the 2nd? How could SRS have known that for ages I've been wondering about getting something similar for my original Q? The only thing I can think of is that SRS can read minds. Not even the data scavengers at Google, Facebook, Amazon etc. can do that.

So thank you, SRS. But should we be careful what's in our minds from now on???

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Large amount of refurbished Pentax and Ricoh stock arriving very soon. at 29/03/2019 - 19:31

Lubbyman
Why do birds think that a car parked in a drive is there for target practice?

And why do they aim for the centre of the roof so it's difficult to reach and clean off?

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Another pointless thread at 28/03/2019 - 10:44

Lubbyman
First dotted bee fly of the year. And first time I've managed a half decent picture of one feeding at a flower - they don't stay long before moving on. Easier when they're hovering, they can be be still for a few seconds, or even longer if you're lucky. They'll be around for a few weeks then get on with the next stage of their parasitic life.

K3 + DA*300mm + 1.4TC, they won't let you get close enough to use a macro lens.

Comment Image


Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Dotted Bee Fly at 26/03/2019 - 20:25

Lubbyman
Real, running, rippling, reflecting, refreshing water. That's more like it!

A superb set, impossible to pick a favourite. And that crop of no 8 shows what can be seen if you're prepared to look and not blur it into a vague haze.

Clicking on no 3 and enlarging, the ripple pattern near the right hand end of the bright band makes an interesting abstract (to me, at least!).

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Pure and unfiltered at 24/03/2019 - 21:04

Lubbyman
Thanks Derek.

Very interesting to see the H2O version. The milk pulls my eyes upwards towards the trees and into the picture (I guess it's acting as a leading line). With the H2O, however, my eyes are pulled towards the detail in the pool at the bottom and not into the picture. In this case, the milk wins for me, it's doing something useful for the composition of the picture. Other people may see it differently, of course.

But I still can't get excited by a pier rising from a sea of milk.....

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on Beware, this post contains milky water at 23/03/2019 - 15:46

Lubbyman
6 for me. It asks questions rather than gives answers. Then 3.
Presumably the wee hike was followed by a thoroughly deserved wee dram?

Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on A Hike up a Munro at 21/03/2019 - 20:09

Lubbyman
Another planed camera. Must be mirrorless, can't see a viewfinder. Early Q prototype?

Comment Image


Steve

Comment by Lubbyman posted on What next Pentax DSLRs? at 21/03/2019 - 19:36

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo