LiamD

Joined: 30th December 2005

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

LiamD
Hi,

I've had it a few times today.

The sendmail function on the server has been disabled. This is the bit that sends the automated reply if you are subscribing to a thread and get notified of any replies. Is it someone here who hosts/runs the boards. They could have disabled it during an update.
Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Posting Problems at 07/01/2006 - 17:41

LiamD
Hi George,

glad they brought back some memories. When I get the rest done, I'll add a link to the thread. They'll be set up in proper galleries then.

A friend's going to Kenya with a bag full of cameras later on this year as well, so if he lets me, I'll build up some galleries for him and upload them to the site.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Copying 50 year old slides at 07/01/2006 - 17:18

LiamD
Hi John,

Quote:
A negative/slide scanner is much easier!
No fun.. Ros has a slide scanner but it doesn't do it for her. Even my first attempt, apart from the colour shift, is far superior to it in sharpness. Unless we buy another scanner (we have two already) especially for this, then it's got to be done my way.

Anyway, rather than put up lots of piccys here, you can have a look at the 7 I've done.

http://www.liamsworld.org.uk/galleries/Kenya/

Of course they're dropped to 72 DPI again, but if you have BB they're here as well

http://www.liamsworld.org.uk/galleries/KenyaBB/

(I haven't bothered with presentation for the page.. as you may have noticed)

Perfectly acceptable for 6x4 prints, but I will be doing more, I'm still not happy with the sharpness. Once set up, it doesn't really take that long to do.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Copying 50 year old slides at 07/01/2006 - 15:14

LiamD
Hi John,

thanks for the reply. I'll have a play with the white balance. My light box is a home made affair, basically an office box file with a lampholder fixed to a short side, and fitted with a long life low energy bulb.. a hole cut out and finished with a section of white diffuser. That would explain the green tinge then. I haven't got PS, but I do have GIMP which so far seems to do everything that PS does, so I'll have a look for it's version of "Auto Colour".

The setup was err.. a bit similar sort of. It was in the hallway with a 60W bulb overhead, and the aperture was wide open. I focussed manually, but relied on focus confirmation for exact focus.. which was to be honest exactly where I thought it would be. My eyesight, to give you an idea, is outside of the Pentax range of dioptre lenses (which IIRC is -5/+3) so I have to get some help, even though I wear glasses. Be afraid.. I drive for a living..

So apart from the setup being diametrically opposed to the proper way of doing things I didn't do too bad then. I'll have another go now and see what I can come up with, and post the result.

One quick one though. On the 6 or 7 slides I'm playing with at the moment, there's a marked brown/orange tinge to them. Is this similar to the orange amsk on a negative or just the slide colour shifting after all these years? A couple turn out very orangey-brown.

Thanks again. I'm going to have another play.

It was snowing here earlier, otherwise I'd be asking questions about bird photography now instead.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Copying 50 year old slides at 07/01/2006 - 13:16

LiamD
Hi,

I've mentioned in another thread about the fact that a 35mm slide copier lens cuts off a large part of the original image when used with a DSLR because of the change in size of the focal length. I used my macro lens and a light box to copy this.

Comment Image


I copied in ***jpeg (I don't know enough yet to process a RAW file, even though just looking at it gave very good results) and cropped slightly (I allowed a couple mm of the mount all round, just to be certain). I then just upped the colour saturation a touch. It's a 50 year old Ektachrome slide taken on Nairobi's high street.

This is dropped to 72dpi, although the original can be seen here.. (just change the view size of your browser to 40% or similar)

http://www.liamsworld.org.uk/pug/IMGP0308v1.JPG

They're my late Father in Laws' and there are many more to do (500+ including all the family shots as well). His National Service saw him doing arial photograpy for the first real set of modern maps of Kenya to be produced, in the 50s. As he was out there with lots of camera gear, he used the opportunity wisely. I've got one of a couple of giraffes out on the plain which looks really nice, so I may add that to the thread if it turns out well.

Mrs Liam wants them archived to CD, with a print of each made and passed to the family.

Questions:

Am I doing a fair job?

How can I improve them?

I can just about read the bottom half of the number plate (309 or 389??) of the orange van in the original, is that as sharp as I'd ever expect from these?

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Copying 50 year old slides at 07/01/2006 - 10:37

LiamD
Hi,

from what I can tell via google, they both use the KA mount, you should have no problem with any lens you currently own. I'd wait for someone else to confirm that though.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on MZ range and Manual lenses at 06/01/2006 - 16:46

LiamD
Hi Zoe,

http://www.lensinc.net/freeuser.html

scroll down and you'll find the manual for the P30. You can download it in PDF format. You'll need Adobe Acrobat reader to read it if you don't already have it, and there is a link to that as well. That's also free.

I haven't used the P30 so can't answer the question, but there'll be someone around in a little while who can..

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on timing and shutter speed problems at 05/01/2006 - 07:30

LiamD

Comment by LiamD posted on sunpak 544 flash at 05/01/2006 - 13:54

LiamD
Hi, Camster,

nice photos.. I@ve had a quick look at the jalbum site, and it looks interesting. I'm off to work now, so I'll download it later and check it out.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Creating Image galleries for your site. at 10/01/2006 - 07:35

LiamD
Hi Peter,

Quote:
I find it much easier to use real FILM ,go into the darkroom and come out with a set of prints - sorry!
That's fine. I spent many years doing film photography myself. If you have a website then this is just as applicable, you just have to scan the prints first to upload them to your computer. This is purely for creating image galleries for your website if you have one, as many photographers do. I dabble in the black art of web design and thought it would be useful**.

Disclaimer: This in no way discriminates against anyone's chosen technique for creating the pictures in the first place.

Cheers

Liam

** I'm completely self taught which is a dangerous thing, but if anyone needs help putting a site together, then I'll do my best to help if I can.

Comment by LiamD posted on Creating Image galleries for your site. at 09/01/2006 - 20:25

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo