LiamD

Joined: 30th December 2005

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

LiamD
Hi,

No, I'm a Windows user. I know though that there are people that use Linux in these parts, and Gimp is growing more popular as an image manipulation tool. In fact I think there's little that it can't do when compared to PS etc.

All you need to do is to download the GIMP and/or the GTK runtime environment first and from there you can run UFraw. As I use Gimp anyway, I wanted to try something compatible.. and there are others around to try out as well.

I had a look at Capture1LE, and thought about it, but found this. I'll certainly be trying out C1 at some point, but I have a thing about paying for software, especially with a massive boom in the free stuff in the last year.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on UFraw for Gimp/Linux users at 05/02/2006 - 16:28

LiamD
Hi,

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

I have only had a quick play with it, but UFraw seems pretty user friendly. Rawshooter looked great when I downloaded it, but it can't yet handle the DLs RAW files, whereas this can. Being open source it's completely free as well. A handy function on it was being able to adjust the EV level by 0.01 at a time. It indicates areas of under/over exposure and you canadjust accordingly. I'll have another play later and show you some results.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on UFraw for Gimp/Linux users at 05/02/2006 - 13:09

LiamD
Hi Steve,

I tried my old (35mm) slide copier that I used on the ME Super with the DL and you do indeed lose a great deal of the slide.. around 15% on each side, which is around 1/2 the original total area.

It depends how big you would want to print them but you should get perfectly acceptable 7x5s or maybe bigger using a macro lens.

These..

http://www.liamsworld.org.uk/galleries/KenyaBB/ (dial-up warning)

were copied via a macro lens, and seem adequate.. albeit these slides are 50+ years old and have deteriorated somewhat.

I suppose the old suck it and see method is recommended.

If you have dial-up, these are web-ready to get an idea only.

http://www.liamsworld.org.uk/galleries/Kenya/

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Opinion on Pentax SMC K 30mm f2.8 at 06/02/2006 - 17:25

LiamD
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLR-s--cat_pentax.html

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Katz-Eye-Focusing-Screen-for-the-Pentax-*istD-Series--prod_istD.html

Found them, and although expensive (£50ish) they ship worldwide.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Pentax istDs Focussing screen at 02/02/2006 - 14:26

LiamD
Hi,

I haven't time to look up the info.. off to work now; but there are after market split screens that you can buy that work in the same awy as the old manual focus screens on MEs etc.

If you do a lot of manual focossing, and need to change it anyway, then that could be the way to go.

There are a few links in a fairly recent thread (Jan) here somewhere.

Rushed, but I guess you get the idae..

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Pentax istDs Focussing screen at 02/02/2006 - 07:43

LiamD
Glad you got it sorted out Andy,

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Pentax istDs Focussing screen at 03/02/2006 - 10:00

LiamD
Hi Harry and welcome.

The first thing to check when using any older, and especially non-pentax, gun on the *ist or any digital camera is the trigger voltage. You can't use a gun with greater than (I think) 30v with the *ist. I'm off to work, so if someone else could verify that figure please.

It's not listed here..

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

so you'd need to check that first, before even plugging it into the camera. Here's how..

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html

If that's all well and good, then you should be okay. Not sure about TTL compatibility, as I don't know the gun, but I'd hazard a guess that you won't get P-TTL with it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Cobra 750AF flashgun and ist DL at 01/02/2006 - 07:39

LiamD
Hi all,

it turned up this morning.. 24 hours after I clicked the button. wow. Even had a skylight attached. It feels nice and solid, and balances well with the DL body.

I'm just going to go and point it at something. Back in a mo. I'm on my dinner break, so it'll just be at any passing magpies out front.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Pentax F-AF 100-300mm 4.5-5.6 at 01/02/2006 - 13:25

LiamD
Hi, and thanks for the info.

So (with certain limitations) it's not that bad a buy then..

Hopefully I'll get it in the next day or two and have a play. Apart from the kit lens that came with the DL (18-55), it'll be only the second genuine Pentax lens I own. The rest, although good to my untrained eye, are a hotchpotch of third party lenses.. the makes of which aren't often, if ever mentioned here.

Travanar 300
Soligor 70-210
Exactar 135
Promura 28-80

And a 28mm that I seem to have mislaid : , but probably named in a similar vain.

I'll fire off a test gallery and put it on my site, so you can see the results. I may even get adventurous and try a RAW shoot.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Pentax F-AF 100-300mm 4.5-5.6 at 01/02/2006 - 07:30

LiamD
Hi niblue,

It says nothing about it being a power zoom.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48558&item=7585...

That's the one.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Pentax F-AF 100-300mm 4.5-5.6 at 31/01/2006 - 17:50

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo