LiamD

Joined: 30th December 2005

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

LiamD
I got my email yesterday offering the Tamron. Replied accepting the swap, and was phoned up today to confirm delivery middle of next week. I already have the FA 100-300, so it will be interesting to compare.. and AF "macro" could be useful, although I don't see my manual 70-210 Soligor macro lens being usurped any time soon..

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Possible misprice Jessops Pentax 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DA ED Lens at 30/01/2009 - 19:38

LiamD
"Would we all have our own personal hard drive to slot into whichever PC we would be using at the time? Food for thought"

You can do that already with Puppy Linux (and many more Linux OSs I'm sure). Load PL onto a DVD RW, and away you go. As long as the machines you use can burn to DVD, you have a perfectly portable, if smallish PC. No need for a HD on the host machine either.



You'd have a problem with XP or Vista though, as the hardware needs to be validated on boot. Can't see Bill letting you use one copy of an OS anywhere you want.. probably ahve to pay $50 licence for each machine you hook up to.

But your point about backing up, is a very good one. People don't back up often enough usually 'cos it's a pain changing CDs or having to buy external HDs. Rotate 3 or 4 of these and away you go.. about as portable as you can get.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on SD card too small..??? at 24/01/2009 - 09:47

LiamD
Hi all,

When will Pentax update your firmware for one of these.

I want my DL to capture 720,000 piccys on one card..

Never need another card again.

For Don... 6mb per frame, 60 fps.. over three hours of video off one SD card..

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on SD card too small..??? at 23/01/2009 - 20:30

LiamD
Hi,

no, but if you're going wireless, you can pick up a wireless slave kit off of ebay for change of a tenner, and attach it to any flash unit.. no need to worry about trigger voltages.

I have a couple of big old 3600 Sunpak hammerheads I use a wireless trigger with. You can then buy a cheap powerfull flash to go with it. This one is rated as GN10.

Apologies if you know this already, but that's a 10m range at f1, and ISO 100. Shoot at f8, and the flash won't reach your shoes. To get any practical lighting with this, you'll need to up the ISO at least to 400, but realistically 800 or greater, use a very fast lens.. sub f2, or stand very close to the subject.

Look for a flash with at least a GN of 20 (You can pick up a Pentax AF200 for pennies) or for more practicality 30 and above. As you will be triggering the flash wirelessly with a radio slave trigger, the trigger voltage doesn't matter, and you'll easily come in under the £60 asked.

Just my thoughts any way..

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Any one tried one of these flashes? at 23/01/2009 - 20:12

LiamD
Hi,

try Bonus Print..

Sizes here..

Re cropping, you choose whether you want to lose any of the print or have white borders, when you order. I've just had a look around, and I can see no file size limit in any FAQ. I've printed A3 with them (a letter box crop rather than a Panoramic), and the quality is very good for a 6mb file, so a 24mb file in A1 should be easy..

HTH

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Printing Panoramics / large files online at 23/01/2009 - 19:52

LiamD
As a thought, although I generally abhor censorship in a forum!

I suggest that the points made so far be taken on board by whoever it may concern, and that this thread be deleted, in the hope that Uffes hasn't read it.

As a brand new member, can you imagine what it would be like to see this thread, especially after being so happy about winning a competition so soon after joining? I'd personally be mortified. He sounds like a nice person, keen to be here, and hopefully really encouraged in his hobby after the win. Don't really want to chase him off do we? Not a great advert for people thinking about joining either is it.

Another two pence worth.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Weekly Competition # 80 - Nearness at 20/01/2009 - 16:49

LiamD
Hi all,

you have to remember of course that Uffes, has only been with us for 2 1/2 weeks, and won almost straight away after joining. I think he can be forgiven, especially as someone for whom English isn't their first language, for not being up to speed on the rules and etiquette just now. Now where's that friendly Pentaxian bent that we're all famous for eh?

Just my tuppence woth..

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Weekly Competition # 80 - Nearness at 20/01/2009 - 14:22

LiamD
Or mobile phone cases.. pop into a phone shop with the lens, check which case fits best, then buy the cheap Chinese version from ebay for 50p..

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Lens Cases for Small Primes - any suggestions at 16/01/2009 - 19:06

LiamD
Hi all,

Like DoctorJeff, I use AA rechargeables. 2500 mAh Encore. I have four sets, kept specifically as sets. They cost me less that £1 a cell, I get 6-800 shots a charge, and they're very good in the 360 flash as well.

I don't understand why single use AA batteries are sold in any great quantity anymore.. even Lithium! In over 3 years of using the DL, it's cost me (including charger) a little over £25 in batteries, and although I have one set that's slowing down a little, I don't reckon on spending again this year either. Even if I do replace the slow set, it's still only about £3.. for another 3 years..

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Use of Lithuim AAs at 16/01/2009 - 18:58

LiamD
Hi Stefan,

yes it is.. it's directly underneath the male thread on the thumbwheel, so no change in camera balance.

Cheers

Liam

Comment by LiamD posted on Genuine Pentax Leather Hand Strap at 12/01/2009 - 11:01

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo