Genuine Pentax Leather Hand Strap

Anvh
Posted 30/12/2008 - 21:31 Link
Just went to the Pentax site and I saw this link
I've never seen that one before, is it a new product?
Has someone actually have one and can tell me how it is?
I've been looking for a hand strap for awhile but never found a good one so any recommendation is of course welcome
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Roscoe
Posted 06/01/2009 - 17:40 Link
Anvh wrote:
Just went to the Pentax site and I saw this link
I've never seen that one before, is it a new product?
Has someone actually have one and can tell me how it is?
I've been looking for a hand strap for awhile but never found a good one so any recommendation is of course welcome
Please be aware Stefan that this is an American site, and many of the products on American sites are not available to the UK Pentax owners!
George Lazarette
Posted 06/01/2009 - 22:23 Link
Roscoe wrote:
Please be aware Stefan that this is an American site, and many of the products on American sites are not available to the UK Pentax owners!
Why not? Most American mail-order sellers will sell to the UK.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Anvh
Posted 07/01/2009 - 00:23 Link
Roscoe wrote:
Please be aware Stefan that this is an American site, and many of the products on American sites are not available to the UK Pentax owners!
How do you come at that information?
I've looked at the Pentax UK site and I can't find a lot of the accessories there but I know that they are aviable here like the focus screens and the hotshoe adapters.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
gartmore
Posted 07/01/2009 - 08:10 Link
I tried a while back to buy from the Pentax USA site, they wouldn't ship to the UK. Of course normal US retailers will.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Anvh
Posted 07/01/2009 - 10:53 Link
gartmore wrote:
I tried a while back to buy from the Pentax USA site, they wouldn't ship to the UK. Of course normal US retailers will.
I know and was considering that if they couldn't get it here.
What would be the alternative product to buy on this side of the world, I've no idea where to begin?
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
johnriley
Posted 07/01/2009 - 11:21 Link
Sometimes USA dealers can deliver almost as quickly as UK ones.
Best regards, John
shim
Posted 07/01/2009 - 11:37 Link
The strap is the same as the FDP Grip Strap that I have on my Z1-P the bit that attaches to the camera is different on the Z1-P it was a full plastic base.

Unbelievable how good the handling is with this strap..... well worth getting one. There seems to be similar straps available at least in the US. (ebay).

The Pentax FDP Grip Strap link is a hollow plastic device that looks like a battery pack, but its only function is to improve the handling of the Z-1/PZ-1 and Z-1p/PZ-1p cameras.

The above site just shows the plastic base. Can't find a picture on the web of the full thing.

shim
Anvh
Posted 07/01/2009 - 12:33 Link
Thank you Shim that one looks very interesting and thanks for the feedback on it, going to try if the shop here can get the new strap for me.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
RichardDay
Posted 08/01/2009 - 12:56 Link
I've asked Chris at SRS (and Pentax UK) if this item will be available in the UK.

It looks specifically made for Pentax, not as cheap as some of the Ebay items, but looks better designed and made. I would find this a very useful accessory myself.

There is also an excellent (and quite expensive! :shock hand strap available from the USA with an interchangeable quick release plate for most of the popular tripods, also allows for battery removal. link
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
Gwyn
Posted 08/01/2009 - 14:14 Link
They look interesting Richard, especially with the Arca adapter. However according to the compatibility chart none are suitable for the K20D, only the K10D

Sorry read the chart wrong they are good for the K20D too. Now they are VERY interesting
Edited by Gwyn: 08/01/2009 - 14:15
shim
Posted 08/01/2009 - 15:20 Link
The idea of the plastic bottom extension on the one for the Z1-P is so that your little finger can also grip the camera as a result the camera is firmly bandaged to your hand and you can easily shoot single handed. The ones referred to here do not extend the base, but you may be able to just get your little finger onto the body. I've just tried shooting with one hand with the K10D (no strap) and the camera shakes like mad and I can't do it. The one on the Z1-P is probably worth 1-2 stops as an anti-shake device.

(5 mins later) Just tried the Z1-P strap on the K10D the plastic base fits temporary OK and could be made better by removing a small skirt that mates with the Z1-P (easily filed off) and it lets you rest your little finger against it..... the big problem is that the hand grips and handling on Digital SLRs are something of a joke, (Pentax are not as bad as some) the Z1-P had the shutter release at about 45 deg on the K10D it's almost horizontal at the top of the camera so your finger has to push the strap up and out of the way to get at it... I suppose you could get used to it, but it would have to be a bit loose. It's not a problem removing the plastic base to get at the battery, it only held on with the tripod screw.

shim
Anvh
Posted 08/01/2009 - 23:59 Link
Thank you all for your comments and Shim for trying things out, hopefully it will work for you

When looking at the site, Richard provided. I suddenly thought about the Quick release plate I always have on the camera so that must go off with most handstraps. I'm now thinking of making one of my own with some help, it's afterall just a band. Only need to find a good way to tighten it good around your hand fast.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
shim
Posted 09/01/2009 - 09:06 Link
The FDP Grip Strap has the buckle at the top and a Velcro adjuster near the bottom which would be better on a homemade strap. Velcro could possibly be stuck on. It might be possible to canabalize some straps off an old bag.

shim
vic cross
Posted 09/01/2009 - 14:07 Link
I bought a strap at Focus on imageing last year. The name on it is MATIN. The bottom fitting is the same as the one on the link. Very soft very comfortable and also readily available on ebay from the orient!. (Camera Hand Straps) I'm sure someone who goes to Focus this year could find the retailer and post their address for you. CHEERS Vic.
PS I just had a look on ebay and there are 112 entries. A lot will be from the same retailer and are HONG KONG based. Vic
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Edited by vic cross: 09/01/2009 - 14:12

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo