portrait practice

Keith Grant

Link Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:11
At my "local" yesterday afternoon. C & C on pose, composition, etc, great appreciated!

All with M 50 1.4, the first two at f4, the third at about f2. Shot in RAW, converted in Silkypix, and a quick mono conversion in iPhoto for the last one. Available light from shuttered window, handheld.

Cheers!
Keith

K100D Super, DA 18-55, M 50 1.4, M 100 4 Macro

"The present is the object of vision, and what I see before me at any given second is a full field of color-patches scattered just so. The configuration will never be repeated." ~ Annie Dillard

beakynet

Link Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:27
Keith, I really like the first one, colours also appear slightly warmer then in number 2. For me, the B&W needs work as the top of the forehead is comming up too bright for me and I find the out of focus forearm distracting.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon

xbow

Link Posted 16/07/2008 - 19:02
Yes I like the colours as well, also the out of focus figures in the background add interest. I like number one best as the main subject is off centre. The B&W version just doesn't do anything compared to the colour ones.

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1

Keith Grant

Link Posted 16/07/2008 - 19:36
Thanks for the feedback so far, Beakynet and Vic. Is it worth the effort to do a proper B/W conversion at all?
Keith

"The present is the object of vision, and what I see before me at any given second is a full field of color-patches scattered just so. The configuration will never be repeated." ~ Annie Dillard

xbow

Link Posted 16/07/2008 - 20:28
Hi Keith,

I downloaded pic one and did a quick conversion to B&W and it looked ok but it loses something IMO.

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1

karmazyniello

Link Posted 16/07/2008 - 21:00
Keith Grant, sorry but your conversion and composition is not really good. At first the composition should be upright. Try again and don't try to make conversion on B&W or buy a Trix 1600.
Greetings

Here is in my opinion perfect composition and also very nice B&W conversion.
Shot from K10D

http://karmazyniello.strawberryfields.pl

montecarlo

Link Posted 16/07/2008 - 22:28
My favourite is also the first one but I would have like to see his elbow entirely, like in the second one.
Regarding the B&W one, I think that its too contrasty and maybe more grey tones would be better.
Anyway, congratuletions

Keith Grant

Link Posted 16/07/2008 - 23:33
Karmazyniello and Montecarlo,

I've really been enjoying your photos, so thanks for taking the time to offer some C&C here.

On the B/W, Vic is right, I think: forget the b/w conversion altogether on this one. The light there is fine as it is, and was the main reason I thought it would be a good place to take the photos. Obviously, doing a proper mono conversion is on my (long!) list of things to learn.

karmazyniello wrote:
At first the composition should be upright. ...
Here is in my opinion perfect composition and also very nice B&W conversion.
Shot from K10D

Karmazyniello, when you say upright, do you mean as in the photo should be portrait (rather than landscape) in orientation? - because your image (which I like!) is also a landscape in orientation. ...

If you were shooting the same guy in the same setting, how would you compose it? I'm a pupil at your feet!
Keith

karmazyniello

Link Posted 17/07/2008 - 06:43
Keith Grant wrote:

Karmazyniello, when you say upright, do you mean as in the photo should be portrait (rather than landscape) in orientation? - because your image (which I like!) is also a landscape in orientation. ...

If you were shooting the same guy in the same setting, how would you compose it? I'm a pupil at your feet!

I didn't say that composition shuld be like that always, but only then, when it is conditon of good composition. In my example you said "which I like!". In your case should be like this I think:

Henry Cartier Bresson - Ezra Pound - poet. 1971.

Malo1961

Link Posted 17/07/2008 - 08:11
Hi karmazyniello,
Did you ever think about copyright issues, before placing the HCB picture?
I think it would have been better to place a link, instead of grabbing the picture from the net.
Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

karmazyniello

Link Posted 17/07/2008 - 08:24
Malo1961 wrote:
Hi karmazyniello,
Did you ever think about copyright issues, before placing the HCB picture?
I think it would have been better to place a link, instead of grabbing the picture from the net.
Martin.

Hi Martin.
Are you jokeing? Tell me, who in the whole internet got the copyrights to this photo? I'll tell you. Only H.C Bresson and of course "Magnum Photos" because H.C Bresson was a founder.
Beside, I've got original print

Malo1961

Link Posted 17/07/2008 - 08:37
Well, i am not joking.Neither is the law in this matter.
But hey......there are some legal minds present on this forum, who happily will correct me, if i am wrong. If that is the case I apologize in advance for my earlier
post.
Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

johnriley

Link Posted 17/07/2008 - 08:42
There's sometimes a feeling that any picture can be lifted with impunity, but of course we all own the copyright in the images we make.

I'm no expert in the field of copyright, but my guess is that it would probably be acceptable to show a small copy of an image in a discussion such as this, in other words like in a review or piece of editorial, but would definitely not be OK to use the image as part of the design of the main website, not without permission anyway.

Sometimes people's images are lifted and used without permission by various companies and this is a thing to be deplored.
Best regards, John

Malo1961

Link Posted 17/07/2008 - 08:59
johnriley wrote:

I'm no expert in the field of copyright, but my guess is that it would probably be acceptable to show a small copy of an image in a discussion such as this, in other words like in a review or piece of editorial, but would definitely not be OK to use the image as part of the design of the main website, not without permission anyway.

Maybe you should check out this and this
Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

johnriley

Link Posted 17/07/2008 - 09:19
Thanks, that's very helpful.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.