JForeigner

Joined: 25th February 2010

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

JForeigner
pschlute wrote:
Very nice.
Thanks for the comment.

LennyBloke wrote:
I've had very little success with Lunar eclipse shots - yours is a fine example
Yes, you would think that something as large as the moon and not moving that fast would be easier. But thanks for the comments.

MikeInDevon wrote:
Always nice to see a good Lunar Eclipse, and a good image of one, thanks!

Are those stars in the background?

Cheers
Mike
Yes, they are stars. It gets dark during an eclipse, your shutter speed drops pretty quickly, and you then start picking up background stars.

Gary

Comment by JForeigner posted on Lunar Eclipse at 12/11/2022 - 05:36

JForeigner
Hello all.

It's been a while since I posted here, as I have dipped my toes in to the mirrorless pool. But I still have a soft spot for Pentax, and yes, I still own a bit of Pentax gear. But it has been gathering dust for a while. So instead of leaving it in the back of the cupboard, it has been brought out and put back into use.

As there was a lunar eclipse a few nights ago, and no one has posted an image of it, I thought that I would share what I got with my K3.


Comment Image


Gary

Comment by JForeigner posted on Lunar Eclipse at 11/11/2022 - 09:10

JForeigner
Well done, I do like Milky Way images.

I must get out and have another go at it myself at some point.

Gary

Comment by JForeigner posted on The Milky Way at 27/09/2019 - 08:40

JForeigner
A procession of steam engines that trundled past a friends place. I know nothing about these engines. It was just good to see these engines out and about.

1
Comment Image


2
Comment Image


3
Comment Image


4
Comment Image


5
Comment Image


6
Comment Image


All taken with my K3 and Sigma 18-35.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Comment by JForeigner posted on Steam at 09/04/2019 - 09:33

JForeigner
For those who like steam.

It has been a while since I have used my camera. So today, I dusted of my K3, and threw it onto the back seat of the car. While out driving, we came across this traction engine, it had just died. Not a happy driver of the unit, but I think they look pretty cool. I love the effort and dedication that goes into keeping one of these machines running.

1
Comment Image


2
Comment Image


3
Comment Image


4
Comment Image


More to come of some running engines.

Gary

Comment by JForeigner posted on Broken Down at 06/04/2019 - 09:57

JForeigner
Thank you John.

Regards

Gary

Comment by JForeigner posted on An open letter to all staff and members of Pentax User at 21/03/2019 - 08:00

JForeigner
I would like to make a request.

So let’s have a grown up discussion.

At this moment in time, I am angry, very angry. But please read on to the reason why.

Could all images of firearms, either in the gallery, in the forums, or as an avatar picture be categorized as an offensive image and be removed. I know these are pretty rare. But last Friday, in the city that we live in, 50 people were murdered. This was done with the same sort of weapon as is currently shown in the gallery at this very moment in time. The shootings were done in two places of worship. I am no means a religious person. One of these places backs up onto a school. During the shooting, the city was placed into lock down until the gunman was stopped. Members of the public, as well as the police put their lives on the lines to stop this person.

My thoughts go out to the people who have been directly affected. There are 50 people currently being buried in a mass grave. Those other 50 people who survived being shot, will have both the physical as well as mental scars to deal with for the rest of their lives. My other half works within 600 meters of where one of the shootings happened. She could hear the gunfire as people were being killed. Her profession being part of the crew that puts people back physically together again. I could give you some factual accounts, but I do not think that this is the correct place.

At this very moment in time, just under 400 000 people are in mourning in this city. I have no idea what the rest of the country is feeling like, but I can only guess. Everyone I have spoken to knows someone who has been effected directly.

I understand that this is a UK site. I lived there for seventeen years. The UK has had Dunblane, Australia has had Port Arthur, and America, well let’s not even go there. I am not having a go at gun owners. I have owned firearms for pest control. Not the type designed to kill people. There is something seriously wrong with the human race when guns are glorified.

I have not read if this sort of image is deemed as offensive already. If you think that I am over reacting, please let me know. It has been one hell of a week.

This is open to discussion.

Regards

Gary

Comment by JForeigner posted on An open letter to all staff and members of Pentax User at 21/03/2019 - 07:31

JForeigner
Looking good. Top of the South Island I am guessing?

Gary

Comment by JForeigner posted on Going home at 12/03/2019 - 06:12

JForeigner
I use a NiSi square filter kit. Which includes a ND 10, as well as an ND 6, a grad, and a polariser. It all comes in a protective hard case. It is a filter system. Each of the square filters also have a foam backing to stop stray light entering the front of the lens. It is easy to use with stacked filters. I don't get a colour cast with exposures up to 30 seconds in length. I have not tried a longer bulb exposure. Not cheap, but really good quality. I am pretty sure that the filters are glass and not resin. I am not sure if that makes a difference, but you really don't want to drop them

Image wise with stacked filters, the image does not seem to be degraded at all. In the first image, I can see someone's fishing line in trees to the left of the image when looking at the raw file.

Comment Image


And these ones are taken in the middle of the day in Australia where the light levels are pretty bright.

Comment Image


Comment Image


All taken on a K3 and Sigma 18-35 1.8

Regards

Gary

Comment by JForeigner posted on 10 Stop Filters - Which do you use? at 31/01/2019 - 06:50

JForeigner
Algernon wrote:
Most of the Great Photographers only did Landscapes...... What's wrong with that

Wonder if Mercedes will ever build a motorbike
--
Looks as if they do.

Does this count?

https://motorbikewriter.com/mercedes-amg-unveils-solarbeam-f3/

Gary

Comment by JForeigner posted on Sorry guys ☹️ at 23/10/2018 - 07:46

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo