Jetsam1

Joined: 2nd July 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Jetsam1
Father Ted wrote:
Jetsam1 wrote:
But I deliberately avoid looking at other photographs partly because if I'm going to be cliched I can at least be cliched unknowingly!!!
Hmmm. I deliberately looked at other photographs. In fact, the most helpful book I read wasn't on how to take photos, but how to look at them. That way I could see what worked and why it worked; and then decide what wasn't working in my shots.


But, as you say: if we were all the same......
I have form for losing interest in things once they become either a chore or too involved........... I don't think I'd lose interest in photography per se, but I am aware, esp with my music background, that I don't like to think really, really hard about things that are my hobbies. And I like experimentation.....

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on "Is Photography Art?" at 11/11/2010 - 10:14

Jetsam1
I would put everything I've done with photography so far very much into the "snapshot" category. But I deliberately avoid looking at other photographs partly because if I'm going to be cliched I can at least be cliched unknowingly!!!

I quite like the idea of taking brief snapshots (whether light is good, or whatever) of a specific time and place as that particular moment will never happen again. I've been doing a bit of this locally, certainly with my film cameras. Not art but interesting to me.

But art is a subjective thing. If we were all the same it would be a boring world (Look at the inserted Cliche there!!).

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on "Is Photography Art?" at 11/11/2010 - 09:32

Jetsam1
Pentaxophile wrote:
Quote:
inal excellent image quality with character is what I aspire to
A new lens it is, then!
Now THAT is a whole area that terrifies me!!!!

I still find Spotmatics have character....!

So, the K200 is considered a good Pentax? I'm wondering how the images would fare on a 27" screen......

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on K200D (Yes not very interesting to you all but need some advice!) at 09/11/2010 - 20:18

Jetsam1
I'd really want weather sealing.... I will admit that video isn't something I'd be terribly interested in! Fine for the compacts but I simply wouldn't use it...... The high ISO would interest me.....

I hate these hard decisions! (Could sell a guitar...... )

Final excellent image quality with character is what I aspire to, like I said I haven't used or held another DSLR........

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on K200D (Yes not very interesting to you all but need some advice!) at 09/11/2010 - 18:38

Jetsam1
Hi,

I'm in the process of receiving a rather nice rebate from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs and am in the position where I can upgrade one of two things. Computer or Camera. I am running a 13" Macbook that's about 3 years old and a desktop tht is falling apart. A larger screen would be major plus for all sorts of reasons and I have my eye on a refurb iMac as an ideal replacement.

My DSLR is a Pentax K200D owned from new and it has been a good camera. I have never owned or used any other DSLR so have no experience of any other Pentax models or models from other manufacturers to compare and contrast with. I also have seen very little posting about the K200 and it seems to be either unpopular or simply unusual?

I got it largely as it had weather sealing at an affordable price point that doesn't exist now and if I want to have weather sealing I'd need a K5. However, a better computer for image processing and viewing may give the K200 a new lease of life? I also have the two DA WR lenses.

So essentially, is the K200 worth keeping or selling on and upgrading to K5/Kr at the expense of a more capable computing system? Or how does this camera compare to the competition and other older Pentaxes?

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on K200D (Yes not very interesting to you all but need some advice!) at 09/11/2010 - 18:19

Jetsam1
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Your K200D is weatherproofed...

Dan
Yep and it's very, very handy...... Just the Kr isn't so if I want a Pentax with WR as I have WR lenses it has to be the K5......And that means finding quite a bit more cash from somewhere.....

Weather proof and High iso in one combination is a bit of a win!

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on Pentax K-5 pros/cons at 08/11/2010 - 18:57

Jetsam1
So, this would be like night and day compared to my K200? Would be using the same lenses.........

I'm trying to talk myself into one! I'd be looking for this to be the camera for at least 5+ years.

Off Topic: Would I actually get anything for my K200 now that would make it worth selling on? It's still a superb camera but the WR and high iso of the K5 is very, very tempting.....

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on Pentax K-5 pros/cons at 08/11/2010 - 18:44

Jetsam1
simonkit wrote:
Warehouse Express currently have it on pre-order at £599, already owning the DA17-70 & DA55-300 that pricing isn't likely to tempt me personally

Simon
Hmm, may be too much for me....... Oh well!

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on 18-135mm DA WR at 08/11/2010 - 18:28

Jetsam1
Hmm, I have a nice tax rebate I was going to use towards a K5 and was intrigued about this lens. It covers all the focal lengths I tend to use and essentially it come down to price...... I don't know if anyone has heard anything that might give some form of indication what the price for this with the K5 kit might be?

Hopefully it won't be too much.......

I already have the two standard WR kit lenses so not really wanting to be doubling up, and with the cashback offer it's marginally cheaper to buy the K5 with lens than the body alone!!!

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on 18-135mm DA WR at 08/11/2010 - 18:09

Jetsam1
I have currently a Unibody Macbook that's just over two years old and it's been the best overall package of a computer I have ever owned. I like the OS, the fact that everything is intuitive and the build quality is very good. Was expensive though, but it's lasting a lot better than any previous laptop or PC I have owned. I haven't had to reinstall or really do anything to it.

I also have an Acer Laptop which has WIndows 7 on it and it is a massive improvement over XP and Vista (I had to reinstall this about 6 times in a month as it just killed itself repeatedly, even sent it back and it was actually returned running worse!!!!) though I will admit it does take a little getting used to as the interface is pretty different now!Though the other week I got the first "Blue Screen of Death".....

My old big box is currently running Linux as XP finally died and I was getting odd error messages. Ubuntu Linux is decent and free and it lets me see my pics on a large screen and makes me feel bad as most of them are pretty rubbish.......

So, personally I can use any system but I have had more problems with PC's than with my Mac. Like Techno-Terminator I have limited patience with messing around with the innards of these things I have spent a small fortune on and that I expect to work seeing as so many very clever people are involved in the design of them. I'm simply not interested in computer innards, I just wnat them to turn on and do what I want them to with the minimum of fuss, I don't want to even really notice my computer!!

Oh, well...... Ummmm....... I would go Mac in the end still, been delighted with my Macbook and hope to get quite some considerable use out of it yet!

Comment by Jetsam1 posted on PC OR MAC ? at 02/11/2010 - 09:11

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo