Pentax K-5 pros/cons

gubak

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 08:26
Pros:

Low light: This is a camera that takes great low light pictures, you can push the ISO up pretty high and still get great pictures. This was the biggest reason for me to upgrade. I had a hard time taking pictures of my kids in various performances with terrible lighting conditions. Obviously one needs a good lens. But with my old camera I had to throw too many away. This camera combined with the DA 50-135mm lens is one terrific package (see it on the video review: http://www.infoborder.com/Digital_Cameras/Video/PentaxK-5.php ) for such situations.

Weight/Size: this is the most compact camera at such a level that you will find.

Weather resistant: This is a weather resistant camera! Combine this with a weather resistant lens and you are all set.

Electronic Level: I thought this was a gimmick but after using it for a few days, I find it indispensable to take level photos.

User Selectable Focus points: these are standard in expensive cameras, nothing special if you have used such cameras before but for somone upgrading I quickly found out how convenient this was.

Shake reduction: Pentax unlike Nikon/Canon has shake reduction built into the camera, so any lens you put on it has shake reduction function.

Lenses: Pentax has small pancake lenses called limited lenses. Try these if you are new to Pentax. They are superb and great to walk around with without looking like a dork.

Cons: Expensive...

K10D

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 09:28
gubak wrote:

Lenses: Pentax has small pancake lenses called limited lenses. Try these if you are new to Pentax. They are superb and great to walk around with without looking like a dork.

OMG, If you don't currently own a pancake lens-

Your a dork.

Tough for sports and wildlife photog's.

Best regards

thoughton

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 10:09
Nice post Gubak. I think pretty much everyone on this forum is already gathering finances for that camera I've started my K5 fund with a small stack of SRS gift vouchers (thanks in-laws, and thanks (former) employer, the best present either of you have ever given me! )

Your dork comment made me laugh
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

fatspider

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 12:31
I'm a Dork

But I'm a K5 owner Dork
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Stanovich

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 17:51
I'm quite impressed by this camera from what I've read, yet to handle one in the flesh.

The better low ISO performance makes it tempting.

However I want a good screen for manual focusing which will probably mean buying another KatzEye, and effectively losing the spot metering capability (on my K20 the metering is OK centre-weighted but it under-reads on spot - if there's a way of adjusting for one but not the other it would be useful!).

I also prefer the feel of the K20 than the K7 - just fits better in my hands.
K5IIs & ME Super with FA24-90, DA17-70, DA55-300, misc old primes; Fuji X20.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 18:22
Quote:
better low ISO performance

Do you mean high?

thoughton wrote:
I think pretty much everyone on this forum is already gathering finances for that camera

Not me! The K-7 is easily good enough a camera for me (and then some).

But I am very happy about what lies in wait a couple of years or so down the line.
Next year maybe the new body will be even better!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Don

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 18:33
for me the k5 is a big enough improvement over the k10 to want one... I didn't feel the k7 was though and never bought one.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 18:42
Well I came from the K200D, and got the front wheel, metal construction, external buttons, better LCD, live view, video, faster fps and lots of other stuff which was quite a step up. It'll be an innovation on the body which persuades me to upgrade next time - flip out screen, hybrid viewfinder etc. By then high ISO and DR performance will be a 'given'
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Jetsam1

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 18:44
So, this would be like night and day compared to my K200? Would be using the same lenses.........

I'm trying to talk myself into one! I'd be looking for this to be the camera for at least 5+ years.

Off Topic: Would I actually get anything for my K200 now that would make it worth selling on? It's still a superb camera but the WR and high iso of the K5 is very, very tempting.....
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 18:55
Don wrote:
for me the k5 is a big enough improvement over the k10 to want one... I didn't feel the k7 was though and never bought one.

Ditto.

Pentaxophile wrote:
Quote:

Do you mean high?

Possibly not - the low ISO performance is apparently better than the K20D/K-7 too. I have to say, when I tried out the K-7, I found the photos at ISO100 and 200 to look softer than my K10D's ones, lacking a certain crispness that I'm used to. I've taken some shots with the K-5, and ISO100 shots look nice and crisp to me.

Jetsam1 wrote:
Off Topic: Would I actually get anything for my K200 now that would make it worth selling on? It's still a superb camera but the WR and high iso of the K5 is very, very tempting.....

Your K200D is weatherproofed...

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

Jetsam1

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 18:57
Daniel Bridge wrote:

Dan

Yep and it's very, very handy...... Just the Kr isn't so if I want a Pentax with WR as I have WR lenses it has to be the K5......And that means finding quite a bit more cash from somewhere.....

Weather proof and High iso in one combination is a bit of a win!
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!
Last Edited by Jetsam1 on 08/11/2010 - 18:58

Mike-P

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 20:20
Pentaxophile wrote:
Quote:

Do you mean high?

No .. low ... ISO 80
. My Flickr

Smeggypants

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 21:00
gubak wrote:

ROFL.

I've never considered, and don't even care, what people think I look like for carrying a camera around.

[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

K10D

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 23:56
Smeggypants wrote:
gubak wrote:

ROFL.

I've never considered, and don't even care, what people think I look like for carrying a camera around.

You mean that there are other people about other than the one in my sights?

Best regards

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 08/11/2010 - 23:58
Jetsam1 wrote:
Daniel Bridge wrote:

Dan

Yep and it's very, very handy...... Just the Kr isn't so if I want a Pentax with WR as I have WR lenses it has to be the K5......And that means finding quite a bit more cash from somewhere.....

Weather proof and High iso in one combination is a bit of a win!

Ah right, absolutely agree. I read it as an improvement over your K200D, but as a plus over the K-r, yes, it's invaluable to me too.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.