GrahamNR17

Joined: 28th December 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

GrahamNR17
Ok, I've done that and...

Tidied my lens drawer

Cleaned all my lenses

Cleaned all my filters

Hoovered my gadget bag

Polished my tripod

Paced up and down...

Comment by GrahamNR17 posted on Camera-less for a month at 01/02/2009 - 12:40

GrahamNR17
Butcher, rather than Houghton. These were a range of German-made roll film cameras which will date up to 1914 when they stopped using German stuff. It was at around that date that they pooled with Houghton. It probably has a removable back for using plate adaptor too.

Edited to say I can now see the pic with the plate carrier, missed that first time round

Comment by GrahamNR17 posted on A Case of Identity at 31/01/2009 - 21:36

GrahamNR17
I feel a little sad that the whole situation leaves me cold. That is to say, I feel nothing at all.

Once upon a time I would have felt devastated at the thought of losing Jessops. I had a truly good relationship with them and on more than one occasion I've had phone calls from them to say things like "We've got a used lens in that I think you'll love!" That of course was in the days when Jessops was a privately held Company, staff turnover was low, and the people behind the counter invariably knew their subject [and I know at least a few remain].

Since becoming a PLC things have gone down hill. They are no longer your 'local camera shop', just another large national chain selling the stuff with the biggest margin and the best marketing back-up from the manufacturers. They are trying to be all things to all people and failing miserably at it.

I'll be neither happy nor sad at their inevitable demise. I'll feel the same for the employees as I did when Woolworths closed - absolutely gutted - but for the Company itself I'll feel nothing.

Let's face it, they bought Jessops for the brand and the high street locations. They steered away from the successful formula that the Jessop family had developed over decades. They f****d it up. It didn't work. Sad, yes; inevitable, maybe.

Next will be the AA. Once a not-for-profit club, lately a debt-ridden PLC. The formula just doesn't work in a less-than healthy economy without really smart cookies at the helm.

Sadly Jessops seems to have no smart cookies.

Comment by GrahamNR17 posted on Jessops- again... at 31/01/2009 - 17:47

GrahamNR17
I've frequently toyed with the idea of getting an old *ist and a Spotmatic and seeing what I can come up with. It would end up with a fairly bulky back and no built-in LCD screen, and I haven't yet figured out the exposure control, though I'd probably restrict it to manual with a top-mounted external meter. LCD would plug-in via a data cable for setting the camera up (ISO, etc etc) and then once set it could be removed. Memory cards would have to be non-removable inside the camera (but changeable back at HQ). Battery would be remote with a thin flexible cable going to the camera. It would be just like using an old manual camera, even the the point you won't see the results until you get home. Well, that system worked for over a hundred years

It's an itch I've had for over a year, I might just scratch it this year

Comment by GrahamNR17 posted on Manual Digital Body? at 30/01/2009 - 22:18

GrahamNR17
Get a thumbs-up from me, certainly for the web order I placed. It arrived almost before I'd finished ordering it (or that's how it felt)

The only caveat for me is that they never respond to sales enquiries by email (three so far). That's pretty poor from my point of view given I only use them online. That's a bit like not answering the phone to customers enquiring about stock who want to go in and buy something.

But trustworthy, I'd say a definite yes.

Graham

Comment by GrahamNR17 posted on Can SRS Microsystems be trusted? at 30/01/2009 - 13:04

GrahamNR17
No Pentax dealers within travelling distance from me, so I have no choice but to buy everything online. My own fault for "going bush" I suppose. No lens review in the world can tell you what an item feels like, and on more occasions than I care to count my purchase has been the wrong one

Comment by GrahamNR17 posted on shop local? at 29/01/2009 - 23:02

GrahamNR17
LCE advertise them mail order only. £249 with 18-55 lens and 2Gb memory card. They are, however, currently showing as out of stock.

Only alternative I can think of is a refurb direct from Pentax. They usually have them on their Ebay shop at £194 "Buy It Now".

HTH

graham

Comment by GrahamNR17 posted on K100D availability at 29/01/2009 - 17:28

GrahamNR17
Right now I'd give anything just to have a camera! Come on pay day Comment Image


But apart from that, I'd have something full-frame to make the most of my favourite old lenses. Probably a Nikon in the absence of something from Pentax in the foreseeable future.

Comment by GrahamNR17 posted on If Money was no problem what camera would you buy? at 27/01/2009 - 19:21

GrahamNR17
Is anyone else reminded of a certain George and Mildred sketch? Or does that just give away my age?

Sounds interesting Don, please keep us posted!

graham

Comment by GrahamNR17 posted on Adventure rig at 26/01/2009 - 19:48

GrahamNR17
It's a solid month 'til payday. The K100D fetched more than it's worth on Fleabay. I have nearly enough to buy a K-m. But I have to wait a month, just so I don't compromise myself when choosing a second lens. It's unbearable!

Comment by GrahamNR17 posted on Camera-less for a month at 26/01/2009 - 19:36

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo