Manual Digital Body?

This topic has a poll - login to enter
Hardgravity
Posted 30/01/2009 - 21:11 Link
Whilst thinking which camera I would really like I got to thinking about what's available.

I was sat with my MES and Optio E50 next to me and started wondering why Pentax don't do a manual focus digital body the same size(ish) as the old 'M' series?

Not as daft as it sounds as many on here use their cameras in manual mode most of the time.

What do you think?
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
johnriley
Posted 30/01/2009 - 21:37 Link
I don't think anywhere near enough people would buy it.
Best regards, John
GrahamNR17
Posted 30/01/2009 - 22:18 Link
I've frequently toyed with the idea of getting an old *ist and a Spotmatic and seeing what I can come up with. It would end up with a fairly bulky back and no built-in LCD screen, and I haven't yet figured out the exposure control, though I'd probably restrict it to manual with a top-mounted external meter. LCD would plug-in via a data cable for setting the camera up (ISO, etc etc) and then once set it could be removed. Memory cards would have to be non-removable inside the camera (but changeable back at HQ). Battery would be remote with a thin flexible cable going to the camera. It would be just like using an old manual camera, even the the point you won't see the results until you get home. Well, that system worked for over a hundred years

It's an itch I've had for over a year, I might just scratch it this year
MarkD
Posted 30/01/2009 - 22:22 Link
Oh, I don't know. I'd be very tempted by a digital MX!
But an auto focus one would definitely sell better!
However... it would be an APS-C sensor so they'd have to put an aperture ring on the DA lenses to get the old feel back (or reintroduce some of the old FA series!)
Still, we can dream....
.........all the gear, no idea!
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Hardgravity
Posted 30/01/2009 - 23:08 Link
Digital MX, that's an even better name.

Comparing the size of the optio to a film body only the sensor would seem to put thickness on, allowing for a standard 'K' mount fitting.

With the modern circuits and thin screens it would be possible, heck my old Sony Cybershot U is only the size of 2 35mm film cartridges, and that's 7 years old!
Without a power focus the camera could be powered by a single Optio type battery, I think that's the L17 unit.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
hefty1
Posted 31/01/2009 - 00:26 Link
Same size as an ME Super?

Manual only?

It's already here and called a Leica M8 (although Epson beat them to the punch with the Cosina-built RD-1). The problem is that it's a niche market so you end up paying a lot more money for a lot fewer features - economies of scale and all that...

I'd quite like one, but even if Pentax ever made it I doubt I'd be able to afford it.
Joining the Q
Hardgravity
Posted 31/01/2009 - 07:51 Link
OK so the M8 fits the bill, but lenses are expensive and hard to get hold of, new or used.

Pentax could use the fact that all lenses would fit (and work) on a manual body. It's worked for over 30 years now and we still buy new lenses.

Pentax have everything there, technology, experience and a solid customer base. they could do it and keep the costs down.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo