Gedski

Joined: 18th November 2011

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Gedski
Gwyn wrote:
Having looked at it online, there is a knob on the side of the head to adjust the tilt - can you release that enough to get the camera into portrait mode?
The pan/tilt head looks more suitable for video work tbh.
Thanks Gwyn, I have managed to tilt the K-r to the right by 90 degrees. This now puts the camera into the portrait position. However, 'she who must be obeyed' has just called for my immediate presence. The taking of a photograph shall now have to wait.

Comment by Gedski posted on Camlink TP2500 tripod. at 05/12/2011 - 18:29

Gedski
I have the above named tripod and very good it is as well. However, I am finding one problem with it. Try as I might I can't get the tripod to allow me to turn my K-r into the 'portrait' position from the 'landscape' position.

Now I am sure that the problem lies with the 'idjit what' is trying to use it. If anyone has one of these tripods or if they all work the same, could they please shew me the error of my ways?

Comment by Gedski posted on Camlink TP2500 tripod. at 05/12/2011 - 17:20

Gedski
SoWhat. Like yourself, I am both a new member here and new to DSLR. I have bought, only ten days ago, the K-r. If you have the time please read through my initial posts asking various questions about the K-r.

I was also looking at the Nikon D3100 and the Canon EOS 1100D. After much research, soul seaching and questions both on this forum and directly to Pentax, I am now glad that I got the K-r.

I don't know your location but if you are in the UK Currys have the K-r on offer including two lenses for around £400-£450, depending upon where you are. Also, I'm sure that SRS will be more than happy to assist you. I can't speak highly enough of them. Hope this helps.

Comment by Gedski posted on Pentax K-R,K-X or Nikon D5000? at 05/12/2011 - 13:40

Gedski
bigdaddybucks wrote:
Wether it's being discontinued or not I doubt you will ever get a brand new camera that is as good as the K-r for £400 again.


Lee
Good point, that man! After all the 'research' and questioning that I have done I am now finding some pleasure in my K-r. I'm glad that I ddn't go for either the Nikon D3100 or the Canon EOS 1100D. It is now my intention to, over the winter, to 'try' to learn how to go beyond the 'auto-pic' mode and then this time next year possibly upgrade to whatever Pentax have to offer at that time.

I can't stress enough my appreciation for all of the assistance that I have received from this forum. Please accept my humble thanks to you all. Kind regards.

Comment by Gedski posted on kr being discontinued.. at 05/12/2011 - 11:35

Gedski
Gwyn wrote:
Gedski wrote:
Thanks for all of your reponses, gentlemen,
And lady .

You may want to take care in cold weather that you don't get condensation on the camera. Before changing from cold to warm wrap the camera tightly in a plastic bag, before going back into the warm, so the condensation forms on the bag, not the camera. Allow the camera to warm up slowly too, to help reduce condensation.
You don't need to worry about going from warm to cold - cold air is generally a lot drier than warm.

But don't fret too much about all this - get out there and take photos, have fun and enjoy your new camera.
Sorry Gwyn, Please forgive my manners. By the way, on my first reading of your post, I thought that your advice was for me! I shall certainly heed your advice. Ha! Ha! lol!

Comment by Gedski posted on kr being discontinued.. at 04/12/2011 - 15:42

Gedski
johnriley wrote:
The downside of the web is that we read about all the faults with everything, virtually instantly. Some are faults, some are user error, who knows...it all comes out eventually.

The K-r is a splendid camera, so why worry if it's discontinued soon or not? You are lucky enough to have got one, so I'm sure it will suit you very well if you spend the time to get to know it. Hopefully one day you will be looking fondly at it as an old friend!
Muchly thankings John and all of you. You've all made me feel a lot better. In fact I feel like an eighteen year old again but my wife won't let me have one! Ah! They don't write 'em like that anymore.

Comment by Gedski posted on kr being discontinued.. at 04/12/2011 - 15:14

Gedski
Thanks for all of your reponses, gentlemen, they are appreciated. About the dampness fault. I was aware of the K-r not being weather proofed. I was concerned that perhaps on a dry day but with some dampness in the air there could be a problem.

I think that the e-dial is doing what it should on my K-r and until I read about the tungsten 'thingy', I wasn't aware of it. Apart from messing about in my back garden, trying to learn, I haven't taken a lot of photographs with it.

I have printed out the 347 pages of instructions and now have one huge manual that I am ploughing through with my K-r at my side. As soon as this wretched monsoon weather subsides I intend to launch myself, 'photographically that is', at the world around me.

Before I venture further, I shall await the answers from Pentax but you have each given me a confidence boost with my K-r. I really do want to keep it, as I know someone who has a Nikon D3100 and is sorry that he bought it. The Canon 1100D is about £70-£100 beyond my means and I'm not sure if it is better than the K-r anyway. Kind regards.

Comment by Gedski posted on kr being discontinued.. at 04/12/2011 - 13:54

Gedski
. Please forgive if some of my post is repetitive but as I am a pensioner on a strictly low and fixed income, this post is rather important to me.

As some of you may, or may not know, ten days or so ago I spent £400ish for my K-r. I did this after asking Pentax about the alleged discontinuing of said camera. I was advised that the K-r has not been discontinued and is in production.

After buying the K-r and perusing various websites forums I have now come across various 'inherent' faults associated with the K-r. For instance, a faulty e-dial, something known as tungsten lighting focusing and dampness affecting the camera as it is not weather proofed.

As I am not DSLR literate all of the above are of some considerable concern to me. Have I wasted my hard saved money without any chance of a return? I bought this camera on the information from Pentax. If I had known about the situation with the K-r I would not have bought it.

I have e-mailed Pentax with my problem on Wednesday last but as yet have not had a reply. I would certainly appreciate someone who might have definite and bonafide information of my problem to try to assist. Also, I am going to ring Pentax again tomorrow, Monday, in an attempt to get some honest answers. Kind regards.

Comment by Gedski posted on kr being discontinued.. at 04/12/2011 - 12:56

Gedski
Thanks johnX, your information is invaluable.

Comment by Gedski posted on SDHC cards for K-r at 03/12/2011 - 16:15

Gedski
thimfook_law wrote:
Eh, Gedski, so are u saying that what Harry has commented is not correct? Would appreciate yours or others input.

Thanks and regards.
No. I was only asking whether or not my understanding of SD cards was correct or incorrect and if it is the latter could someone enlighten me. The first sentence of my post explains all.

Comment by Gedski posted on SDHC cards for K-r at 03/12/2011 - 15:15

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo