Eastridge

Joined: 8th February 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Eastridge
2 here (husband & wife team both users) but in the strange, wild North of the county. I think there is at least one other North Devoner I have seen posts from. And i think a few around Exeter.

Before we came here, I had no idea how big Devon was or the seeming North / South divide. I know it sounds bizzare but Plymouth seems as far away as Bristol to me. WE've been here 7 years and only been to Plymouth once and that was on the way back from Cornwall.

Anyway, when you've had more responses it will be interesting to see where in the county people are as well.

Comment by Eastridge posted on Calling all Devon PUs! at 01/02/2009 - 10:07

Eastridge
Thanks folks.

An old sock ( or perhaps a stocking?!) sounds a good temporary idea for in the pocket / handbag. We had old Sony that the screen got ruined with finger prints, but it was purchased when 2MP Digital camera cost £800 so it sounds like screens are a lot more robust nowadays.

Ta,

Comment by Eastridge posted on Will cling film damage LCD screen? at 26/01/2009 - 10:09

Eastridge
I have got purchased a cheap 'pocketable' compact for 'haven't got the K10D with me ' momments.

Somewhere I have the remaining screen protector sheets that I bought when I got the K10D but a quick search can't find them. I don't want to buy more until I've time to do a full search of the 'loft' etc. and was wondering if I could use ordinary cling film just to keep dirty / acidy fingerprints at bay until I do? I know protectors are so cheap on e-bay, it's not the cost It just doesn't feel right or 'green' to buy things unessarily.

Just concerned that some chemical in the cling film might damage a coating on the screen? Has anyone done this and been OK?

Comment by Eastridge posted on Will cling film damage LCD screen? at 25/01/2009 - 13:08

Eastridge
Just picked up a N***n Coolpix L16 in a clearance at local Argos for £53 for exactly that purpose. It's surpiingly good for such a 'budget' camera (RRP£69) and being able to pocket it even in jeans is fantastic. I thought my 3MP camera phone would be sufficient but low light input and shutter lag mean it's really only usful outside on a sunny day.

Comment by Eastridge posted on What's in your pocket? at 25/01/2009 - 13:02

Eastridge
Working in Bristol occasionally & I know the Bristol Camera's shop and have bought some odds and ends in there and my Dad bought a Compact in person there. He had a problem with it and they were very good at sorting it out under warrenty for him & they posted to back to him free of charge to save him the 40 mile round trip into Bristol.

That said, I have never bought from them online because of their policy of not letting you know stock levels, even if you ask. It's 'order from us and we'll let you know when you can have it.'

It seems to me that they are a small shop you have set up an online shop but aren't overally focussed on online customer service. I'd always go for SRS.

Comment by Eastridge posted on STAY AWAY FROM BRISTOL CAMERAS at 15/01/2009 - 10:33

Eastridge
Well thanks to Mike _P pointing out the deal at SRS & cashback they have my order for a Pentax 55-300.

I have been waiting for the price to fall to that level and in the meantime reading lots of reviews, forum posts etc. I have no concerns at all that it's the right choice for this focal length / budget. The only consistent 'downside' seems to be slow AF if moving from near to far, I'll happily trade that for sharp pictures (vs Sigma) and no PF (vs Tamron) as I do a lot of watersports shots and black wetsuits vs white surf in sun is a PF nightmare.

Although there seems to be a bad copy or 2 out there I know SRS will sort it out if I am unlucky enough to get one.

Already have a 50-200 and a Tamron Adaptall SP 300 5.6, will do some comparative shots but suspect both may end up on e-bay if the 55-300 is as good as many make out.

Comment by Eastridge posted on advice on longer lens, please at 16/11/2008 - 10:21

Eastridge
both when bought my K10D instore and when dealt online - when I was lucky enough to get the 50-200 for £60 (Samsung version but I don't care)

Comment by Eastridge posted on Jacobs Camera Shop at 29/03/2008 - 11:47

Eastridge
Thanks guys.

I can see that the DA*30 may be a more direct replacement.

On the e-bay links, thanks. I had only looked at UK based sellers, maybe I am over cautious but it's a lot of money for me, also I've read that you risk having to pay import duties if you buy from abroad.

I suppose I was looking to pay at most £150 all in. I can get it from a local camera shop where I work for £235 so if I had £200 or so that's what's I'd do.

Maybe my expectations (hopes?) on what I could get one for secondhand are way too low?

Comment by Eastridge posted on FA 35's likely to be sold for new DA35 Macros? at 18/02/2008 - 09:58

Eastridge
I have been thinking about getting the FA 35 but it's too expensive for my budget and despite watching e-bay (uk) for many months I've not seen one. In a way I'm not suprised there are not many going secondhand as it's such a good value lens (if you have the money!)

Do people think that when the new DA35 Macro is available there will be a flow of people selling their current FA 35's to get the DA with it's Macro?

Or are the lenses different in some other way that means people are likely to keep both?

Or will it all depend on the quality of the new DA and no-one can say until the reviews / first user opinions come out?

I'd be interested in your predictions.

Thanks.

Comment by Eastridge posted on FA 35's likely to be sold for new DA35 Macros? at 17/02/2008 - 10:50

Eastridge
Mike thanks for the link - will see what we can do.

Even if we find we can't use it for the camera it's a great idea for our keys whilst we are surfing ourselves.

Many Thanks.

Comment by Eastridge posted on Waterproofing K10D & tele lens ?!? at 12/02/2008 - 11:52

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo