Eastridge

Joined: 8th February 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Eastridge
Thanks hardgravity - picked one up in Poundland the other day just to carry around - usefult o show pictures on friends laptops. Was a bit skeptical about performance but copes with SDHC and just as fast as the Transcend one I paid c. £10 for a short while ago.

Comment by Eastridge posted on Card reader, only £1.00!!! at 25/09/2009 - 09:10

Eastridge
Did some at the British GP a coule of years ago.

I agree with K10D about slow corners and head on's being best - it was a nightmnare to try and pan on the straights.

I think personally that corners give the best shots as you get the cars at more interesting angles and sometimes with a wheel lifted etc. as they hit the edges.

Comment by Eastridge posted on Formula One question at 23/09/2009 - 10:11

Eastridge
If it's any help I have a 50 (albeit an older f1.7) and then bought the 35 f2.

It's the 35 that stays on the camera when not using a tele zoom.

For my purposes I can take a shot with the 35 and crop it down to what the 50 would have taken (I know this isn't axactly the same but for most of the stuff we do it works well enough.) The quality of the 35 is so fantastic there is no image degredation that I can see when doing this.

So, if I'd have had the 35 first I would never have bought the 50 - but the other way round I'm glad I bought the 35.

It's always difficult not knowing peoples uses and tastes but based on my expierence I'd say buy the 35. If you then find you don't use the 50 you could even sell it for a profit (considering you paid only £180) the way prices right now!

Comment by Eastridge posted on prime lenses at 04/09/2009 - 10:10

Eastridge
Mike W - thanks I was using the little stand alone application so that might well be a factor. Will review your link.

Marcus1 - sorry for using your thread.

Comment by Eastridge posted on Printers at 01/09/2009 - 09:23

Eastridge
Thanks for the advice on paper guys - I'll probably try the GP-401 and see how that goes, with appropriate settings etc. We use Paintshop Pro but always do the printing from the Canon software letting that do the colour management etc.

Comment by Eastridge posted on Printers at 31/08/2009 - 09:20

Eastridge
Mike W or any other Canon printer users - which Canon paper would you recommend for good but not exceptional quality prints?

We have a Pixma and use Canon inks but results are not as sharp as I'd hope. I think it's probably the paper - we are just using the Tesco own brand paper we used with our old HP £50 printer as we have loads of it left but...

It also seems to use the inks up a lot faster than out HP did and I wonder if that could be paper related as well.

So, which Canon paper a step up from what you get with Tesco's best quality stuff, without breaking the Bank.

Comment by Eastridge posted on Printers at 30/08/2009 - 09:50

Eastridge
Yeah Tony M thanks -I got confused by the (PK)A not being for 'autofocus'. Also for me AF isn't important as I find it more accurate to focus manually on moving objects at a distance so I didn't check that field on the listing.

Comment by Eastridge posted on Wanted Sigma AF 400mm APO lens Anywhere Worldwide at 20/08/2009 - 09:26

Eastridge
FYI One just went on e-bay for £160 + P&P.

Comment by Eastridge posted on Wanted Sigma AF 400mm APO lens Anywhere Worldwide at 17/08/2009 - 09:20

Eastridge
PM sent Vic.

Comment by Eastridge posted on Sigma 400 f5.6 MC APO at 13/08/2009 - 18:09

Eastridge
No doubt a waterproof camera will be better than the aquapac. But the aquapac was £30 and a waterproof compact is somewhat more - I'm afraid down here is Devon we are not as rich as Home Counties chaps like you, bodyheat!

Seriously, if you envisage a lot of water use and have the money that's the way to go but I didn't want to buy a new camera just for one holiday when it's general use is nothing more than a 'glove compartment standby' as we use our K10 usually.

On downsides - the main one was keeping the camera and the case aligned so that the lens pointed directly at the glass to aviod reflections etc. I would imagine this is quite simple in smegg's situation but when you are swimming and looking around for fast moving fish at the same time it did lead to a few missed shots.

Because it was a cheap (£50) Nikon L16 compact set to 'auto- everything' I can't comment on it's effect on shutter speed/light but I was pretty impressed with the combination, more so than I expepcted to be.

smegg you want a waterproof for your existing Km - we looked for one for our K10D for shoreline use. I would buy in a second except we want it for surf shots with a telephoto lens and none we found at a reasonable price could accomodate anything over c. 200mm. If your use involves only shorter lenses I think you are OK. Makes sense to try one out on your compact first I agree.

Comment by Eastridge posted on Waterproof case? Aquapac? at 30/07/2009 - 09:08

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo