prime lenses

chrissinkpen
Posted 03/09/2009 - 21:45 Link
I would like a prime lens to compliment my FA50/1.4.
Would a 35/f2 be too close in focal length to be useful.?
Are the Samsung equivalants the same quality as Pentax?
Regards

Chris
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:11 Link
To answer your first question unlikely, as the EFOV of the 50mm is 75mm, and the EFOV of the 35mm is 53mm.

Your second question, Samsung equiv lenses ARE Pentax lenses, just a different badge (Schnieder and samsung), so you are getting a Pentax, but at this time, a lot cheaper (but don't tell Pentax........)

Hope this helps
Some Cameras
Greytop
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:12 Link
I my opinion the FA35 f/2 would compliment the FA50 nicely. I'm also interested in this lens and know I would employ it quite differently to the 50.
Your question about the Samsung equivalent quality/spec is also something that I'm interested to hear responses to.
Regards Huw

flickr
Edited by Greytop: 03/09/2009 - 22:14
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:17 Link
Greytop, don't worry about Samsung lenses, they are Pentax lenses in drag. The only difference (certainly on the DA range) is the coating colour, Samsung have a blue tint, and Pentax have a green tint. In the real world it makes no difference, they are indentical and made in the same factory. I have done a comparison with the Samsung 18-55 (my mother and father both have GX-1s models) and the Pentax 18-55. Result? Identical.
Some Cameras
mikew
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:18 Link
I haven't bought a 50 because I don't believe it's far enough away from my 35. It's a great lens the 35 f2 but it's not that far off the 50.

Have you thought of the 21?

I have the 21 as well and I do use it. It's very handy for shots with restricted space but if I want a wide angle shot then I tend to use the Sigma 10-20 which I find to be an excellent lens. If I had a 50 then I'd think about the 21 or 10-20. Don't doubt the quality of the Sigma it's very good and very versatile as is the Pentax 12-24 which is possibly a more useful range than 10-20.

So my messenger bag usually has the 10-20, 21, 35, 70 in it. The primes are so light they are not an issue. No bag just pockets then 21/35/70. One lens only then it's either 17-50 or 35.

Bet that didn't help at all!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
bforbes
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:18 Link
chrissinkpen wrote:
I would like a prime lens to compliment my FA50/1.4.
Would a 35/f2 be too close in focal length to be useful.?
Are the Samsung equivalants the same quality as Pentax?
Regards

Chris
If your talking about a Samsung version of the 35/f2, I'm not sure that there is one?
chrissinkpen
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:19 Link
Thanks
What's EFOV? sorry don't know.
Is the 35 sharper than the 50?
Please can someone tell me why they are called Limited lenses.

Thanks so far.

Chris
mikew
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:20 Link
Hmm, I thought Pentax coatings were their unique selling point? I know the three primes I mentioned give lustrous colours but I have not tried any Samsung primes. I did have a Samsung 50-200 and I now have a Pentax 50-200 - and I don't think I could tell the two apart looking at older shots.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
mikew
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:21 Link
Barrie there is the Samsung f2 and I think you can still get it new from places like PC World and Currys. I believe the Pentax lens is no longer made which is why I bought one a year ago in a mad rush.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:25 Link
EFOV is effective field of view in relation to 35mm (or full frame), this takes into consideration the crop of the smaller APS-C sensor, ie what is seen by the sensor in relation to the image that the lens sees.

However, a 50mm lens will still act as a 50mm lens, even though the camera sensor is seeing an effective 75mm image.

Hope this does not confuse you too much.

As regard to bforbes question about the 35mm F2 with a samsung badge. Samsung did (or still do) make this lens, in fact warehouse express still have it available.

Hope this helps
Some Cameras
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:28 Link
mikew wrote:
Hmm, I thought Pentax coatings were their unique selling point? I know the three primes I mentioned give lustrous colours but I have not tried any Samsung primes. I did have a Samsung 50-200 and I now have a Pentax 50-200 - and I don't think I could tell the two apart looking at older shots.

Mike
It is, but of course Samsung needed lenses with their partnership with pentax, so the coatings will be the same on the standard DA lenses.

However the top notch SMC coatings that Pentax use on the DA* and Limiteds are all for pentax only, this is probably which you don't see Samsung eqv of DA* and Limited lenses, only the ordinary DA range.
Some Cameras
mikew
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:30 Link
Ah I see - thanks Offertonhatter
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
RR
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:31 Link
How about a Sigma 30mm ?

Or if you wanted to go longer, the Pentax 70mm ?
Greytop
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:36 Link
bforbes wrote:
chrissinkpen wrote:
I would like a prime lens to compliment my FA50/1.4.
Would a 35/f2 be too close in focal length to be useful.?
Are the Samsung equivalants the same quality as Pentax?
Regards

Chris
If your talking about a Samsung version of the 35/f2, I'm not sure that there is one?
Hi Barrie, here is the Samsung version http://www.samsungcamera.com/product/pro_acc_view.asp?prol_uid=2133&step1=13&ste...
Regards Huw

flickr
chrissinkpen
Posted 03/09/2009 - 22:38 Link
My FA50 does one job, and well. As a relative newbie I still think that prime's are right for me. A zoom could be a jack of all trades and master of none.
The limted lenses are expensive, although I paid £180 for the 50 I notice they are in excess of £400!! nice lens
Thanks to you all for help so far.

Chris

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo