Printers

Marcus1

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 14:50
For me the final result is to hold or frame a 'Print'. So much seems to depend on the printer producing what you see on the monitor. Colour Space, quality of inks, dpi etc etc.
I use an HP Photosmart C7180, uses black and five colur cartridges, its sort of OK but feel it could be better.
I cannot afford a proffesional set up and cost of ink renewal is a consideration. A4 is adequate for me at this stage.
Any recommendations for Tweeks to existing printer or a reasonably priced alternative?
Wish there was a Pentax dedicated printer, plug and play!
Marcus
K10D 50-200mm, 18-55mm, Battery Grip, AF360FGZ flash, Manfrotto Tripod.
Other stuff includes Programme A, Takumar 70-200mm, Rollei Prega 145AF - Still in its box, Pentax Zoom 105R,Olympus OM2n,a Fuji Digital Finepix.

mikew

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 16:02
It's sad but these guys will do it cheaper and better (probably).

link

I use a Canon A4 printer Pixma 4500 I think with Canon inks and Canon paper and I'm very pleased with the results but it probably costs me more than using PROAM.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

Helpful

Eastridge

Link Posted 30/08/2009 - 09:50
Mike W or any other Canon printer users - which Canon paper would you recommend for good but not exceptional quality prints?

We have a Pixma and use Canon inks but results are not as sharp as I'd hope. I think it's probably the paper - we are just using the Tesco own brand paper we used with our old HP 50 printer as we have loads of it left but...

It also seems to use the inks up a lot faster than out HP did and I wonder if that could be paper related as well.

So, which Canon paper a step up from what you get with Tesco's best quality stuff, without breaking the Bank.

Marcus1

Link Posted 30/08/2009 - 10:35
Eastridge wrote:
Mike W or any other Canon printer users - which Canon paper would you recommend for good but not exceptional quality prints?

We have a Pixma and use Canon inks but results are not as sharp as I'd hope. I think it's probably the paper - we are just using the Tesco own brand paper we used with our old HP 50 printer as we have loads of it left but...

It also seems to use the inks up a lot faster than out HP did and I wonder if that could be paper related as well.

So, which Canon paper a step up from what you get with Tesco's best quality stuff, without breaking the Bank.

Another minefield So many variables.Staples now do a range of papers in various weights and finishes. I do wonder if Asda, Tesco, Staples and others source their photo papers from the same mill.
Staples Photo Supreme at 270 gms seems good and a cheaper version Staples Photo Plus at 240 gms. I tend to use HP, probabley out of Brand Loyalty as I have an HP Printer. Asda special at 260 grams is a reasonable compromise. Have not tried Tesco Brand. Bit like buying a packet of crisps in a pub, just too many choices
Other stuff includes Programme A, Takumar 70-200mm, Rollei Prega 145AF - Still in its box, Pentax Zoom 105R,Olympus OM2n,a Fuji Digital Finepix.

Thordell

Link Posted 30/08/2009 - 11:47
I too use a Canon 4500 and find that I get good results using Photoglossy paper, http://www.photoglossy.com/?source=webgains&siteid=5945 Mind you I do not print much and if it were special I would have it done professionally.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500

Marcus1

Link Posted 30/08/2009 - 13:05
mikew wrote:
It's sad but these guys will do it cheaper and better (probably).

link

I use a Canon A4 printer Pixma 4500 I think with Canon inks and Canon paper and I'm very pleased with the results but it probably costs me more than using PROAM.

Mike

Thanks for the ProAm link, certainly looks cheaper for a run of twelve plus Prints. I would still like to be able to produce a good print on my desk top but maybe financially out of reach, at this stage. Perfecting the science and the art may never happen. but that is the joy of the hobby

mikew

Link Posted 30/08/2009 - 20:22
Eastridge wrote:

I use Canon GP-401 Glossy which I bought from 7dayshop when they did a BOGOFF and I also bought MP-101 on the same basis but don't like it.

Most people find the quality of the colour and printing to be fine. I suspect it drinks ink.

I let the printer do the colour management - not Photoshop
Select the right paper from options
Sometimes use the vivid setting
Always high quality

Have you read the Canon instructions on how to get good results that are available on line?

To get good results take time and money.

All other papers are OK but don't hold a candle to the Canon ones. I think Canon were careful to match printer/ink/paper as they would be.

Mike

mikew

Link Posted 30/08/2009 - 20:26
I would be disgusted if I couldn't get good results from the HP Photosmart C7180 but I would expect to have to use HP inks and HP paper and follow their instructions to the letter. I checked the Amazon reviews and one person said the prints were as good as shop done so it must be possible.

I used a small cheap HP for a while and got good enough 6x4 prints from it on HP paper/ink. Bot as good as the Canon (which you can get for 60 I think).

I just wish PROAM would do bigger prints!

Mike

Helpful

pentaxian450

Link Posted 30/08/2009 - 23:43
I use three HP printers, and I know by experience that third party inks will influence greatly the final result. And you don't do your own prints to save money. the thing is, there are so many variables influencing the final results that, when you find a combo that works for you, you stick to it. To get GOOD and CONSISTENT results, it is almost mandatory to calibrate both monitor and printer. Your HP printer can give very good prints, but the post processing needs to be dead-on. If you "clic" "printer set up", you have four tabs showing up at the top (advance,printing shortcuts,features and color). When you "clic" color, you can "clic", you can access "more color option". Thats where you can really fine tune your printer. You can adjust brightness,saturation, color tone and the cyan magenta yellow and black sliders to your liking. Once you find the adjustment that work for you, just "keep" it and your results should be fairly consistent. Good luck.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Helpful

Eastridge

Link Posted 31/08/2009 - 09:20
Thanks for the advice on paper guys - I'll probably try the GP-401 and see how that goes, with appropriate settings etc. We use Paintshop Pro but always do the printing from the Canon software letting that do the colour management etc.

mikew

Link Posted 31/08/2009 - 09:35
When you say printing from the Canon software do you mean that little stand alone application I recall that they provided which was pretty useless IMO or the driver settings?

I think this might help

link

Mike

Marcus1

Link Posted 31/08/2009 - 09:37
Many thanks Mike & Yves. It is reassuring to know that my problems are 'Operator' and not 'Kit'. It would grieve me to have something on my desk with Ca**n written on it.
I have always used HP Vivera inks, initially to maintain warranty.
I shall follow your advice, and keep you posted with progress.
Last Edited by Marcus1 on 31/08/2009 - 09:40

Eastridge

Link Posted 01/09/2009 - 09:23
Mike W - thanks I was using the little stand alone application so that might well be a factor. Will review your link.

Marcus1 - sorry for using your thread.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.