All Forum Comments
Comment by Eastridge posted on stofen with AF360fgz at 23/06/2013 - 09:36
I have a Stofen I use with the 360 flash and it works very well. I have 14 feet ceilings at home and very dark walls where it copes pretty well at 400 ISO, with 8 feet ceilings it is easily powerful enough to do what you want and it is wide enough to cope with a fisheye lens too. Nice light when on the camera hotshoe too. I must say I like the light quality from that flash with the head at ninety degrees and the catchlight panel extended.
I have seen online stofen must be used at angle up anyway otherwise the light from the bottom goes directly to the sensor on the flash and PTTL metering will underexpose.
Have you found that? I know I could correct manually but for quick kiddie shots it would be good to be able to rely on PTTL. I am wondering if a small piece of tape along the bottom of the stofen would overcome that.
Appreciate any thoughts.
Comment by Eastridge posted on stofen with AF360fgz at 22/06/2013 - 10:26
Lambency difusser works for me in the club work. I get very little shadow cast with it. £9.99 delivered from ebay
I see you have flash head swivelled round in photo, not sure if that's how you shoot or just how it was put down?
I ask as I have read the stofen shouldn't be used at 90 deg straight forward without the light coming down from it causing the sensor on the flash unit to calibrate it incorrectly and underexposing?
So was wondering if the same applies to this? As 360 doesn't have swivel head.
Obviously could correct manually but would prefer to have PTTL for quick shots, will ask gartmore what he finds.
Comment by Eastridge posted on stofen with AF360fgz at 22/06/2013 - 10:20
One reason I was thinking stofen omnibounce is that it's a small thing ( as we are always taking photos at relatives houses not our own so need stuff that easily packs in car with all our other gear and doesn't look like we are setting up a studio in relies lounge) and also not really noticeable to nephew - who would be so fascinated by a brolly , large softbox or similar he would spend the time trying to play with it / study it / eat it
Unless 'running around the room' = exactly the speed that my 15 month nephew moves at even when mummy is trying to encourage him to sit still
I had tried the 'tissue paper' option but not bubble wrap, that's something I could look to try & some of the other DIY suggestions, thanks.
Comment by Eastridge posted on stofen with AF360fgz at 21/06/2013 - 09:51
I am doing family portraits & group shots indoors and find best lighting level achieved by using on board flash to trigger the 360 on a separate tripod just to the side, with catchlight. Group usually includes a toddler unable to keep still to order so a fast shutter is essential hence good amount of light.
I bounce off ceiling where can but often that doesn't make it bright enough so sadly need to use it more directly giving harsh shadows that I then need to PP out.
I understand a sto-fen (or similar) would help reduce shadow effect and improve 'tone' of light. However am told it reduces brightness of flash by factor of 2.5. So not sure if it's light output will be much more than bouncing?
Any thoughts?
Comment by Eastridge posted on stofen with AF360fgz at 20/06/2013 - 11:15
Comment by Eastridge posted on Dell Ultrasharp 23 (not 24) 12HM Monitor - differences? at 22/05/2013 - 09:28
A 16.2M is a 6bit/channel and uses interpolation to get the other colours. A full 24bit, 8 bit/channel gives 16.7M
Have hada look at the Dell specs and they both claim 16.7M however they also say 8ms response time and I would associate those with 6bit monitors whereas an 8 bit tends to be nearer 20ms so a contradiction. Have a quick look at: http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDColor.htm
I have done some googling and it appears they ( both 23 and 24 I think) are 'native' 6 bit but with some processing wiz stuff to bring the numbers up. I appreciate that they are not as good as native 8 bit but as so many people here ( and other dp sites) are pleased with their 2412's that I am pretty sure it would be good enough for us, if the same as the 24" version.
Comment by Eastridge posted on Dell Ultrasharp 23 (not 24) 12HM Monitor - differences? at 19/05/2013 - 14:54
I boug a used one from amazon for £109 just before xmas and when it arrived it was like brand new, cheapest i can see new is direct from amazon here at £159
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B005MHMFJA/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
Used one is £149 but only came with 30 day warranty. To be honest though i have never had an lcd monitor fail on me, most issues seem to be DOA or dead pixel issues which are usually spotted on dirst switching on.
Can I take it that you are happy with yours? If you use it for your photo work and are satisfied I'm sure it would suit us, as your equipment / quality is a definite step up from ours.
That Amazon price looks good, I can also get a discount via my work from Dell directly, Hadn't considered used but's worth considering as you say.
Comment by Eastridge posted on Dell Ultrasharp 23 (not 24) 12HM Monitor - differences? at 19/05/2013 - 14:46
I can't comment about Dell products since I don't use them, but HP has introduced a 23 and a 25 in. IPS screens. I use both and I can say they're pretty decent, and cheaper than Dell.
Comment by Eastridge posted on Dell Ultrasharp 23 (not 24) 12HM Monitor - differences? at 19/05/2013 - 14:42
We are looking to upgrade to an IPS 'widescreen' monitor from a bog standard c 5 year old Dell 4:3 LCD. I know loads of people on here really rate the Dell Ultrasharp 2412M but at £200 it's over what we can really afford.
There is a Ultrasharp 2312HM which we can source a chunk cheaper, the only obvious differences being that it is 16:9 not 16:10 and clearly 1" smaller.
Is there any other differences that people are aware of e.g. in colour reproduction and also what has prompted so many of you to go for the more expensive 2412??
We believe that this monitor will show c. 75% of AdobeRGB colours but usually work with sRGB where believe it will cover c. 95%. We mainly use Elements 10 for PP and are usually happy to work with JPEG although sometimes RAW.
The other reason for upgrade is hubby is writing a novel and would like to be able to work two windows side by side more easily.
Any comments?
If anyone has any recommended alternatives around the £130 mark that would also be interesting.
Thanks anyone who can help.
Comment by Eastridge posted on Dell Ultrasharp 23 (not 24) 12HM Monitor - differences? at 19/05/2013 - 10:39


Looks like stofen or lambency will do the job, I just need to decide myself if extra stofen convenience worth the extra dosh.