chris_jl

Joined: 15th September 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

chris_jl
Greytop wrote:
Interesting, maybe they have a larger Pentax user audience than we might have imagined

Also I see Angela Nicholson has the K-7 up against the 7D this week, should be interesting to see how close she thinks they are
I bought a copy this lunch - in short K7 got 86%, 7D got 89%. Deciding factor being noisy AF (obviously with a WR kit lens), better menu layout in 7D and better low light capability of the 7D.

Chris

Comment by chris_jl posted on Amateur Photographer Poll at 27/01/2010 - 18:20

chris_jl
dml82 wrote:
something to allow me to get wider and better quality shots than the 18-55mm WR kit lens really.

ideally the pentax 12-24mm f4 or the sigma 10-20mm, but open to all suggestions...
I've just ordered from SRS the 10-20 Sigma EX DC HSM f3.5 - it's on sale at the mo. A steal for the price. I can also recc the Pentax 14mm DA - very nice glass.

Chris

Comment by chris_jl posted on WANTED: ultra wide lens at 20/01/2010 - 18:19

chris_jl
Dang, just ordered one on Amazon - £173 . I tried with CameraKing for £40 cheaper, but I got an email yesterday:

=====
CameraKing UK has been cancelled
by the seller with the following reason: -

.

If you're still interested in this item, please search for it again on
Amazon.co.uk.
=====

I am still trying to figure out if '.' is the reason or it is some craptic clue I have to solve.

Ho, hum.

Chris

Comment by chris_jl posted on Wanted BG2 - grip for K20d at 05/01/2010 - 14:38

chris_jl
No real photo tips, just from the last one I did:

1. speak to the minister/priest/officiant and say that you will be taking photos during and where you will be standing - so they don't get annoyed and stop everything halfway through due to lack of info. I tend not to ask 'please can I shoot during' as it gives an opening for them saying 'no', stating that you intend to shoot during really only gets denied if it really grinds their gears; and it starts negotiations in your advantage.
2. get a written running order of locations and wants (we want bride & groom shots in the rose garden after the service but before the meal, we will release a load of doves at X point) off the couple so you aren't caught off guard by something happening you didn't anticipate or being in the wrong place at wrong time.
3. be assertive with the crowd - if group shots are needed/wanted then people tend to mill like bovines and need herding. One friend told me to take a tripod but never use it - it just shows who's to be listened to for photos.

HTH

Chris

Comment by chris_jl posted on Wedding photo tips! at 01/01/2010 - 17:26

chris_jl
Mannesty wrote:
Where does the Kodak 'Brownie' fit? That was my first camera.

It used 127 film, was certainly not compact, and did not have interchangeable lenses.

OK, I guess it was compact in its day.
Bit odd - but that was my first camera. It was my grandfathers, given to my mum and then she gave it to me in 1981 and I took some photos of the garden on my 11th birthday (thus pinning my age).
I still have it, but unfortunately the 127 film available today has very thin backing paper and the red exposure number viewports fog it badly.

Chris

Comment by chris_jl posted on Your first camera at 01/01/2010 - 00:35

chris_jl
kaiser26 wrote:
Hello everyone, I just bought the lens 24-70 mm F2.8 EX DG,
There is someone on this board who owns one, I can tell if you're happy with it?
That lens can be at your height in its range?
That's good and bad?
What is the opening where it offers the best quality?
In which situations do better?

Thanks and best regards.
I have the HSM one - bought recently as I wanted to see what Sigma HSM was like. I took it out with the DA*16-50 a few weeks ago to do a direct comparison and was stunned with how sharp it was. It seemed to have a bit less CA than the DA*16-50 and as others have said, it's a fantastic walkabout lens having a bit more reach than the DA*16-50. I'll be using it in 2 weeks for a baby shoot as I'm now confident it produces some really good images - especially in the portrait area. I was also very happy with the build quality. It's a bit chunkier than the DA* but is still manageable.

The long and the short, is that you won't be disappointed.

Chris

Comment by chris_jl posted on Sigma 24-70 mm F2.8 EX DG at 30/12/2009 - 23:19

chris_jl
iceblinker wrote:
Faster cards do give an improvement in continuous shooting with the K10D and *ist DS. The delay while the buffer is written to the card can be more than halved when using a Sandisk III or white Toshiba compared to a more bog standard card.

Apparently the Panasonic "Class 10" cards don't work with video in the K-7, so they may not really be as fast as advertised.
I'm finding it difficult to find benchmarks for Panasonic class 10, the best I could see were ones that use CHDK - the custom firmware for Canon powershot P&S cams - to check speeds.

CHDK wikia

From what I can see the class 10 equals or slightly beats the Sandisk Ultra2 - but and here is the dinger - it seems to have very poor performance on single 64K writes - 1/4 speed of other cards.

I wonder if the way the K7 writes video streams is hitting this overhead for small writes heavily?

Chris

Comment by chris_jl posted on Class 6 SDHC cards, at 29/12/2009 - 16:19

chris_jl
mpjx wrote:
Quote:
looks to only do RAW DNG for 16 or 17 shots before you get the pause/shoot setting in
It would be interesting to see if RAW PEF has better or worse performance than RAW DNG.
Worse (just checked) - RAW PEF on a Class 10 does 14-15 shots before pausing.

Chris

Comment by chris_jl posted on Class 6 SDHC cards, at 29/12/2009 - 16:03

chris_jl
iceblinker wrote:
With continuous RAW shooting, is there a long wait on the K200 after the buffer has filled before the camera is ready to shoot again? If so, a faster card will reduce the wait.

It may also speed up the transfer of images from the card to your computer.

I consider class 4 very slow nowdays. Class 6 is the minimum I use, preferably one that is actually faster than class 6, like a Sandisk Extreme III.
I got my mits on a pair of Class 10 16G Panasonic SDHC cards. With my K20D it can do HQ jpg at full speed until the card is full, looks to only do RAW DNG for 16 or 17 shots before you get the pause/shoot setting in. Those numbers seem to be exactly in line with the manual (assuming it is listing optimal conditions), so it seems that going for faster SD cards may not give any improvement in continuous shooting. Not that it matters terribly as I'm a slow photographer.

Comment by chris_jl posted on Class 6 SDHC cards, at 29/12/2009 - 15:52

chris_jl
RR wrote:
johnriley wrote:


Tilt and shift is only available on large format view cameras. Tilt is not available on 35mm cameras, only shift.

Tilt is what it sounds like and shift is moving the lens to one side of the optical axis.
Canon & Nikon both make Tilt & Shift lenses for 35mm cameras don't they ? As do the 3rd party manufacturers referred to below ?

chris_jl wrote:
MarkD wrote:
There are also a few russian tlit/shift lenses currently being made in a pentax mount, but I can't recall the names. Perhaps somebody else can.
Ebay is probably your best bet.
I'm waiting on 35mm SuperRotator from Hartblei to become available again - they seem to have gone out of stock for the moment. I think that is the one you may be thinking of?
Chris, I think the Hartblei name has been acquired. The Hartblei.com site is running out of stock of almost everything & if you visit Hartblei.de you'll notice they are now using Zeiss optics & the price has jumped by a fair margin. edit: I've just looked at the price list & "fair" would be the wrong word to use ! €4589 + vat for the 40mm anyone ?

I think Mark may have been referring to Arsat or Arax brand Russian lenses.
Thanks for that - so best not to get my hopes up for a return of the reasonably priced Super-Rotator. I'll have a look at the other brands you mentioned, as 4k is 'just' out my price range.

Comment by chris_jl posted on tilt and shift lenses for architectural photography. at 27/12/2009 - 15:57

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo