What has happened?
Posted 17/05/2014 - 12:34
Link
Hello Ken. I don't know the technicalities of the web site structure (and probably wouldn't understand them anyway!). However, presumably the ads are entered into the Classified Ads section of the forum, so they must have a data flag attached to the post to record that location. Currently all new posts, whichever section they have been posted into, appear in the New Posts list. Perhaps that location flag could be used to separate the ads out. But, as I implied, that is one for boffins to comment on.
Cheers.
Philip
Cheers.
Philip
Posted 17/05/2014 - 12:47
Link
You could use the 'report problem/suggestion' link at the bottom of this page to suggest it to them.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 17/05/2014 - 12:58
Link
Thanks Ken - done.
Cheers.
Philip
Cheers.
Philip
Posted 17/05/2014 - 13:10
Link
I don't post much in the Gallery, nor do I regularly look in the Gallery, I'm sorry to say.
I don't comment on as many photos as I should. I keep trying to put that right
I miss the old PPG. When someone got an acceptance in their it was considered an achievement and generated conversation on the forum. Now the quality of the PPG is so diluted I don't bother.
The forum is still a place I enjoy visiting. And I've met face to face like minded people who I wouldn't have met otherwise. I've received advice and given advice.
I do think what you get out is proportionate to what you put in.
I don't comment on as many photos as I should. I keep trying to put that right
I miss the old PPG. When someone got an acceptance in their it was considered an achievement and generated conversation on the forum. Now the quality of the PPG is so diluted I don't bother.
The forum is still a place I enjoy visiting. And I've met face to face like minded people who I wouldn't have met otherwise. I've received advice and given advice.
I do think what you get out is proportionate to what you put in.
Posted 17/05/2014 - 13:14
Link
I do know what you mean, For example I haven't had a warning from John since January
I log on every day and sometimes log off just as fast in these past few months, I just thought it was the time of year thing but on a plus note I think ScoobyZ Is trying to shake it up a bit on the classifieds section if anybody wants to join in
Also a few of the more controversial members have left and gone to pastures new or full frame if you like in the last year, I suppose we could start another Pentax Full Frame thread as that always seems to get the keyboard warriors out in force
I log on every day and sometimes log off just as fast in these past few months, I just thought it was the time of year thing but on a plus note I think ScoobyZ Is trying to shake it up a bit on the classifieds section if anybody wants to join in
Also a few of the more controversial members have left and gone to pastures new or full frame if you like in the last year, I suppose we could start another Pentax Full Frame thread as that always seems to get the keyboard warriors out in force
Posted 17/05/2014 - 13:22
Link
davidstorm wrote:
..... on the Forum and the site in general?
Is it my imagination or have things gone downhill a bit lately? Very little quality in the Gallery, very little interaction and controversy on Forum threads. I find it harder and harder to get enthused about the site, is it just me?
Opinions please!
Regards
David
Controversy often gets stifled here, often by threads being closed or posts removed, as you know. Controversy/heated debate is part of the vibrance of a healthy forum, but out of the multitude of forums I've been a member of over the last 15 years this is the only one that seems to discourage it. Is that an official policy of Pentax User? There's no evidence it is...... on the Forum and the site in general?
Is it my imagination or have things gone downhill a bit lately? Very little quality in the Gallery, very little interaction and controversy on Forum threads. I find it harder and harder to get enthused about the site, is it just me?
Opinions please!
Regards
David
davidstorm wrote:
What can be done to put it back on track?
Pentax releasing a full frame camera. Many of those who proclaimed they have no use for Full Frame will then suddenly hanker after one, you will buy one and argue against anyone saying it's no better than the K-3What can be done to put it back on track?

As well as the lack of new pentax gear, don't forget the Sun has come out. Forum traffic always goes down when the sun comes out.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 17/05/2014 - 14:59
Link
If Pentax do release an ff cam I expect a lot of the old members to flock back in a stampede...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 18/05/2014 - 01:17
Link
Nowadays I rarely post in the Gallery, or look at it, as it's often full of lots of mundane shots posted by PU Plus members who seem to post 5 images at once. I occasionally post pictures in Your Photos, but don't expect serious critique, as it so rarely happens here. When honest critique is given, it is sometimes taken personally. Since getting an irate PM from a member early last year, who took exception to me thinking their image was not worth fiddling with any more, I've not bothered trying to give critique myself, and usually only ever comment on images I like, which seems to be the norm here generally anyway.
I think there should be a forum on here for totally honest and if necessary brutal critique, and another forum for people who just want to hear that their image is "nice" or whatever. It's all a bit wishy-washy at the moment. If people want to improve their photography, they need to be told what is wrong with their images, as well as what is right. As in most things, you can often learn a lot more from your mistakes that you can from your successes.
I think there should be a forum on here for totally honest and if necessary brutal critique, and another forum for people who just want to hear that their image is "nice" or whatever. It's all a bit wishy-washy at the moment. If people want to improve their photography, they need to be told what is wrong with their images, as well as what is right. As in most things, you can often learn a lot more from your mistakes that you can from your successes.
Posted 18/05/2014 - 01:52
Link
aliengrove wrote:
Nowadays I rarely post in the Gallery, or look at it, as it's often full of lots of mundane shots posted by PU Plus members who seem to post 5 images at once. I occasionally post pictures in Your Photos, but don't expect serious critique, as it so rarely happens here. When honest critique is given, it is sometimes taken personally. Since getting an irate PM from a member early last year, who took exception to me thinking their image was not worth fiddling with any more, I've not bothered trying to give critique myself, and usually only ever comment on images I like, which seems to be the norm here generally anyway.
I think there should be a forum on here for totally honest and if necessary brutal critique, and another forum for people who just want to hear that their image is "nice" or whatever. It's all a bit wishy-washy at the moment. If people want to improve their photography, they need to be told what is wrong with their images, as well as what is right. As in most things, you can often learn a lot more from your mistakes that you can from your successes.
Whoever PMed you complaining about your critique should be ashamed of themselves. Anyone who posts their work on a public stage gives license for critique by default. if people wont 'want critique then they should avoid showing there stuff to anyone else.Nowadays I rarely post in the Gallery, or look at it, as it's often full of lots of mundane shots posted by PU Plus members who seem to post 5 images at once. I occasionally post pictures in Your Photos, but don't expect serious critique, as it so rarely happens here. When honest critique is given, it is sometimes taken personally. Since getting an irate PM from a member early last year, who took exception to me thinking their image was not worth fiddling with any more, I've not bothered trying to give critique myself, and usually only ever comment on images I like, which seems to be the norm here generally anyway.
I think there should be a forum on here for totally honest and if necessary brutal critique, and another forum for people who just want to hear that their image is "nice" or whatever. It's all a bit wishy-washy at the moment. If people want to improve their photography, they need to be told what is wrong with their images, as well as what is right. As in most things, you can often learn a lot more from your mistakes that you can from your successes.
I never look in the Gallery. I'm not sure why that is. I do regularly look in the Your Photos forum and pick a few thr4ads at random to look at and possibly comment on.
I will give honest critique where I can, but I do despair sometimes at the seemingly lack of quality control. Not only by contributors but by commentators.
It's all too common for a set of tediously mediocre images to be posted only for a couple of people to comment "great set!" This isn't helping anyone
A significant factor that determines whether I spend energy giving critique is the amount of thought and energy the contributor has put into their photography in the first place. A posted set of nonchalantly taken snapshots at some previous weekend event that was only attended becuase the sun was shining usually requires a whole lot of effort to go through the multitude of elements wrong with them but tro be honest they don't deserve it when the photographer doesn't put any effort into the photography themselves. I can't see the point of spending thousands on DSLR's and lenses only to take pics with the mentality of someone whipping a camera phone out.
OTOH I see sets posted that require a lot of critique, but you can tell the snapper has put a lot of effort into their work and is passionate about it. In this instance I'm happy to spend time giving critique
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 18/05/2014 - 02:00
Link
Aliengrove, the issues you mention I think arise really because there are different expectations from different individuals, and not many clear rules or dividing lines. I think whats happening is people pick up from others their reactions and get a feel for how thay can 'take' the critisism. Sometimes you get the wrong person!
Mostly I find that technical advice and pointers about processing is well received, and can be a good sharing of ideas and learning. It gets more tricky when the question is about the whole image, its point or purpose. I've been told many times a shot of mine was of something that another person would walk past, ie not worth the battery power! Well, fine, but we have the image there, it was taken and the photographer felt it was worth it for them - you have to accept that and work with what there is. Sometimes what an individual will take shots of is relative to the number of opportunites and access to locations they can gain - and that varies a lot.
No doubt I may be one of those posting the 5 at-a-time mundane images in the gallery that puts you off. I don't see why it should - any outstanding single image will only stand out more amongst many lesser shots. The gallery is interpreted differently also - I will put up what I feel are the better few of a larger bunch, those that best represent my photography as a whole. So its not a place for every shot. I don't expect much comment though, most of the activity there is just positive encouragement and much of it very similar, with many from the same people.
Mostly I find that technical advice and pointers about processing is well received, and can be a good sharing of ideas and learning. It gets more tricky when the question is about the whole image, its point or purpose. I've been told many times a shot of mine was of something that another person would walk past, ie not worth the battery power! Well, fine, but we have the image there, it was taken and the photographer felt it was worth it for them - you have to accept that and work with what there is. Sometimes what an individual will take shots of is relative to the number of opportunites and access to locations they can gain - and that varies a lot.
No doubt I may be one of those posting the 5 at-a-time mundane images in the gallery that puts you off. I don't see why it should - any outstanding single image will only stand out more amongst many lesser shots. The gallery is interpreted differently also - I will put up what I feel are the better few of a larger bunch, those that best represent my photography as a whole. So its not a place for every shot. I don't expect much comment though, most of the activity there is just positive encouragement and much of it very similar, with many from the same people.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 18/05/2014 - 02:17
Link
McGregNi wrote:
No doubt I may be one of those posting the 5 at-a-time mundane images in the gallery that puts you off. I don't see why it should - any outstanding single image will only stand out more amongst many lesser shots.
those pesky decisive moments.
No doubt I may be one of those posting the 5 at-a-time mundane images in the gallery that puts you off. I don't see why it should - any outstanding single image will only stand out more amongst many lesser shots.
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 18/05/2014 - 02:23
Link
McGregNi wrote:
Aliengrove, the issues you mention I think arise really because there are different expectations from different individuals, and not many clear rules or dividing lines. I think whats happening is people pick up from others their reactions and get a feel for how thay can 'take' the critisism. Sometimes you get the wrong person!
Mostly I find that technical advice and pointers about processing is well received, and can be a good sharing of ideas and learning. It gets more tricky when the question is about the whole image, its point or purpose. I've been told many times a shot of mine was of something that another person would walk past, ie not worth the battery power! Well, fine, but we have the image there, it was taken and the photographer felt it was worth it for them - you have to accept that and work with what there is. Sometimes what an individual will take shots of is relative to the number of opportunites and access to locations they can gain - and that varies a lot.
No doubt I may be one of those posting the 5 at-a-time mundane images in the gallery that puts you off. I don't see why it should - any outstanding single image will only stand out more amongst many lesser shots. The gallery is interpreted differently also - I will put up what I feel are the better few of a larger bunch, those that best represent my photography as a whole. So its not a place for every shot. I don't expect much comment though, most of the activity there is just positive encouragement and much of it very similar, with many from the same people.
Nigel, I put effort into critiquing your pics ( see reply posted only a couple of minutes ago to your Dorking shots ) because you are obviously passionate about your photography. Even though I can find lots to criticise you obviously put a lot of thought into both pulling the trigger and the editing. For that you get my respect.]Aliengrove, the issues you mention I think arise really because there are different expectations from different individuals, and not many clear rules or dividing lines. I think whats happening is people pick up from others their reactions and get a feel for how thay can 'take' the critisism. Sometimes you get the wrong person!
Mostly I find that technical advice and pointers about processing is well received, and can be a good sharing of ideas and learning. It gets more tricky when the question is about the whole image, its point or purpose. I've been told many times a shot of mine was of something that another person would walk past, ie not worth the battery power! Well, fine, but we have the image there, it was taken and the photographer felt it was worth it for them - you have to accept that and work with what there is. Sometimes what an individual will take shots of is relative to the number of opportunites and access to locations they can gain - and that varies a lot.
No doubt I may be one of those posting the 5 at-a-time mundane images in the gallery that puts you off. I don't see why it should - any outstanding single image will only stand out more amongst many lesser shots. The gallery is interpreted differently also - I will put up what I feel are the better few of a larger bunch, those that best represent my photography as a whole. So its not a place for every shot. I don't expect much comment though, most of the activity there is just positive encouragement and much of it very similar, with many from the same people.
My beef is with those who clearly don't put any thought or effort into their photography yet post a set of what is nothing more than banal snapshots. It pains me even more when people reply and say the pics are great when clearly they are rubbish.
This is a photography forum, not Facebook.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 18/05/2014 - 02:41
Link
I agree with the commentators that see a clique thing going on, but that happens I guess.
Personally, from a newbie kind of stand point, the Forum feels a little Aristocratic in ways and I feel like one of the kitchen hands speaking out of turn.
I come back because there are some helpful people that come across a little more "real" and are genuinely helpful. I am inspired by a lot of the members work and I have questions that need answers and I get them.
Don't think I'll ever feel comfortable here but that's more my problem than anybody elses.
Sorry for the interruption Guv'ner I'll be back with your Port shortly and I have the silverware to polish.
Oh, before I go Sir, The Gallery. I put stuff on there because it's added to my Portfolio, so I tend to be proud of the pictures and woe betide anybody slagging them off, but it's nice to have some appreciation if it deserves it.
If I want a critique it goes in the piccies forum.
Just the way I've viewed it since I got here even though it has been pointed out that the forums are to be used as it pleases peeps.
Oh dear there's a PS too...I was a member of Pentax Forum before this. I put a response to one of the forum debates which was shot down by an idiot who became personally insulting. I waited a short while to compose my response, a couple of days, and when there was no response from an admin I defended myself, politely, but it was razer sharp and to the point. Got a PM from admin telling me I wasn't allowed to personally attack people (even in self defence it seems). Rule for one, rule for another. Made me suspicious of adminned forums.
Hope this helps to answer a complex issue from the viewpoint of one who is probably insane.
Personally, from a newbie kind of stand point, the Forum feels a little Aristocratic in ways and I feel like one of the kitchen hands speaking out of turn.
I come back because there are some helpful people that come across a little more "real" and are genuinely helpful. I am inspired by a lot of the members work and I have questions that need answers and I get them.
Don't think I'll ever feel comfortable here but that's more my problem than anybody elses.
Sorry for the interruption Guv'ner I'll be back with your Port shortly and I have the silverware to polish.
Oh, before I go Sir, The Gallery. I put stuff on there because it's added to my Portfolio, so I tend to be proud of the pictures and woe betide anybody slagging them off, but it's nice to have some appreciation if it deserves it.
If I want a critique it goes in the piccies forum.
Just the way I've viewed it since I got here even though it has been pointed out that the forums are to be used as it pleases peeps.
Oh dear there's a PS too...I was a member of Pentax Forum before this. I put a response to one of the forum debates which was shot down by an idiot who became personally insulting. I waited a short while to compose my response, a couple of days, and when there was no response from an admin I defended myself, politely, but it was razer sharp and to the point. Got a PM from admin telling me I wasn't allowed to personally attack people (even in self defence it seems). Rule for one, rule for another. Made me suspicious of adminned forums.
Hope this helps to answer a complex issue from the viewpoint of one who is probably insane.
Steve
Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6724 posts
20 years
Glasgow,
Scotland
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -