Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

What has happened?

McGregNi
Posted 18/05/2014 - 03:37 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
... Nigel, I put effort into critiquing your pics ( see reply posted only a couple of minutes ago to your Dorking shots ) because you are obviously passionate about your photography. Even though I can find lots to criticise you obviously put a lot of thought into both pulling the trigger and the editing. For that you get my respect.]

And always appreciated .... just remind me, was it the left or right brain I needed to work at, I keep mixing those up

However, looks like we need to find something to fight about and get this ship sailing again .... did you know I'm close to publishing my new 'Pentax DSLR Street and Musical Events Shooters Checklist', a resource I'm sure you'd find invaluable and inspiring for your next outing with that shiny K5iis - it includes all sorts of advice on the correct apertures for maximum MTF performance and how to get the best edge to edge sharp bokeh while minimising the risks of moire and all the while keeping yellow colour noise in the blacks to a minimum ...... with it in one hand and the camera in the other you can 99.9% focus on the technical
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 18/05/2014 - 03:39
frob
Posted 18/05/2014 - 04:17 Link
Very interesting stuff is all this. I have been a member for a few months and have come to regard the forum as a valued resource for dealing with my Pentax trials, tribulations and frustrations and totally appreciate the depth of knowledge and experience contained in these pages.
As to posting photos I doubt that will happen for a good while yet. This is a hobby for me and am very aware of my own shortcomings but when I do get a shot in focus and vaguely interesting I will think about it.

Rob
cabstar
Posted 18/05/2014 - 06:06 Link
The worst is when people on this forum pm you for photography or career advice and when you reply don't even have the courtesy to say a simple thank you, the same goes for critique which takes time and despite saying you like the image but note how it could be improved posters get offended. Some of my early work was appalling but genuine comments improved my work over time.

If you just want people to like your work post on Instagram if you want an honest discussion about it then the forum should be a place where genuine critique should take place without fear of reprisals.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
caj26
Posted 18/05/2014 - 08:49 Link
I just want to add how valuable I have found advice I have been given here, even certain experts cannot solve problems like this forum can.I for one really appreciate all your input.
Smeggypants
Posted 18/05/2014 - 11:22 Link
McGregNi wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
... Nigel, I put effort into critiquing your pics ( see reply posted only a couple of minutes ago to your Dorking shots ) because you are obviously passionate about your photography. Even though I can find lots to criticise you obviously put a lot of thought into both pulling the trigger and the editing. For that you get my respect.]

And always appreciated .... just remind me, was it the left or right brain I needed to work at, I keep mixing those up

However, looks like we need to find something to fight about and get this ship sailing again .... did you know I'm close to publishing my new 'Pentax DSLR Street and Musical Events Shooters Checklist', a resource I'm sure you'd find invaluable and inspiring for your next outing with that shiny K5iis - it includes all sorts of advice on the correct apertures for maximum MTF performance and how to get the best edge to edge sharp bokeh while minimising the risks of moire and all the while keeping yellow colour noise in the blacks to a minimum ...... with it in one hand and the camera in the other you can 99.9% focus on the technical

Yup.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
jemx99
Posted 18/05/2014 - 19:10 Link
Maybe we could pay for an argument?

link
Northgrain
Posted 18/05/2014 - 19:17 Link
jemx99 wrote:
Maybe we could pay for an argument?

link

PU-Plus-Cross ?
Edited by Northgrain: 18/05/2014 - 19:19
ronniemac
Posted 18/05/2014 - 19:20 Link
With reference to the opening post, David, the problem is bigger than just this website. Found this in DPReview Pentax forum. An interesting thread and well worth a read.

I am following this PentaxUser thread with great interest. There are quite a few banal photographs and pointless platitudes in the gallery.

Critical commentary should always be polite and helpful, but it seems we are too afraid of saying what we really think. I mean, if I don't want comments why would I publish on this site? Mostly I don't post because my photographs are either similar versions of work already posted, (e.g. bluebells!) or because it is not good enough for the public domain. I am happy to keep these in my own little private digital world.

I value this website a great deal, there are some outstandingly good photographers put their work up for us to enjoy, I learn much from technical discussions even if it can be a tedious subject, I am attached to the Pentax marque, I enjoy the discussions here except when they get personal, and it's a very good place to find Pentax gear.

Things I would change:
We like looking at images; let's have some proper high resolution uploading facilities, even if for limited quantities per member, let's clearly identify that photos posted here are for comment and critique (this subject needs guidance on how to be critical without being offensive), and let's adopt a slightly less stringent set of rules on referring to alternative manufacturers gear (for the sake of comparison).

We also need to consider what would make this site more appealing to a younger audience - the future of Pentax is in their hands.
bwlchmawr
Posted 18/05/2014 - 19:38 Link
Some interesting comments here, David. I'm a little surprised that you've become so disenchanted with the whole thing but am sympathetic. I suppose there is less heated argument and controversy than there was because the forum lost so many of its most outspoken members awhile back.

I use the Gallery regularly and enjoy looking at others' work. I'm interested in the technical side and sometimes like to know what camera/lens combination has been used but this is of less importance to me than the shot itself.

I'm lucky having some really nice equipment, albeit some of it quite elderly, and the time to use it. Others on the site, I sense, are cash rich and time poor so it's easier to buy a new lens/camera and discuss its merits than it is to take pictures. And that's fine. Men like stuff. I do!

I often read the various contributions in the forums but rarely find I have anything intelligent to say which will add to the debate. I sometimes make a comment on photographs and am surprised by how few photographers post any images here.

I'm grateful to the forum for all I have learnt and the opportunity to show my pictures to people from all round the world. I've also met several forum members and come to know a little of the lives of others. I'm not sure whether this is a clique but, as with all things, it didn't happen over night. If you want to know what it's like to be ignored try Flickr which I use to safe-guard most of my pictures.

I've also acquired (by various means) some of my gear from members here and think of the previous owners when using a particular lens or camera. It's somehow different and better to a faceless transaction on Ebay.

Perhaps PU is a little staid, lacklustre and bland but five minutes of exposure to the gratuitous abuse and illiterate vitriol to be found on some other sites make me realise when I (we?) are well off.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Edited by bwlchmawr: 18/05/2014 - 19:38
RalphHardwick
Posted 18/05/2014 - 19:40 Link
I think that we're all missing one important point; this isn't a 'photography' forum this as a forum for the users of one specific brand of camera.
That means that you will get a wide variety of people with differing skills and ideas as to what makes a good picture.
Someone who has just bought their first camera, which just happens to be a pentax WG or MX, may not even know how to switch it to manual, and may have entered this site to have a look around. To them a picture that they think is 'nice' might be completely uninspiring for someone else who dreams of FF, has been shooting since birth and sleep with their DSLR. Does that mean that they're not entitled to comment?

There has already been comments made to forum members that because you don't shoot 'such and such' you can't comment on my picture of 'such and such'. Sounds a bit snobbish to me

Initially I put my photos on here in the hope that any critique I received would benefit my photography. In some cases it has. There are certain members that I have looked at their work and respect their views.
However this has been the minority. Most of the time I don't get any comments at all and sometimes I get the equivalent of 'nice'. I don't go to bed an sulk about it I just sigh and move on

If this were to be a 'proper' photography forum then we would need a specific section for landscapes, sport, transport, portraits, nudes, archtitecture as well as a forum for discussing business....... oh wait a minute, isn't that TalkPhotography.... okay forget that. If we want to discuss other brands then lets have a board for Canon, Nikon, Sony......... oh wait a minutes isn't that Ephotozine.......

Yes I do think that this forum is a bit 'last year' (no mobile app, no video board, no way to join and remove adverts, uploads restricted to 800px wide) and I do think that the moderation can bit a bit draconian sometimes but, it is what it is. The rules are clear and there are plenty of other places on the interweb to get the things that this place lacks.

I can happily go a few days without controversy and arguments. I get enough of that in normal life
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"
Edited by RalphHardwick: 18/05/2014 - 19:41
wvbarnes
Posted 18/05/2014 - 19:50 Link
I signed up to the mag (just as it was to close) when I bought a KX (before a KR and now a K5) Thousands of exposures later I still like it on here.

I've bought and sold lenses, seen some stunning photos from time to time and found it a very pleasant place to chat.

I don't generally shoot RAW, don't post photos outside one or two on the gallery as I'm not generally asking for pixel peeping critique or how to take a twig out of the corner. I post to my own web site and Picasa mostly for family and friends to enjoy. The good stuff ends up on the wall.

This time of year I'm out taking photos not reading about gear. Next week we'll be on the beautiful Greek Island of Lesvos and late June Pembrokeshire coast. The camera will be busy and one or two may be good enough to post on here.

Just because something exists on the web doesn't mean it has to be busy every day. Enjoy the summer and dust those lenses off to have fun outdoors. Isn't that what the hobby is for?
Edited by wvbarnes: 18/05/2014 - 19:52
ronniemac
Posted 18/05/2014 - 21:10 Link
Just to note, that posts from Bill, Ralph, Andrew, Rob, CJ and many others are greatly appreciated, as are their photographs.

A timely reminder of why I spend so much time on Pentax User website.
DrOrloff
Posted 18/05/2014 - 21:20 Link
I really like AG's suggestion. 'Your photos' seems to have a dual purpose. Photos are posted for genuine critique or they are posted for a pat on the back, but it is difficult to know which is which. I think it could be split into two sections, eg: critique section and exhibition section so everyone knows where they stand.

General standards of photography on the forum? This dissatisfaction is a sentiment that pops up from time to time and is nothing new. My personal feeling is that often the finest Pentax photographers seem to reach a certain standard and then feel the urge to move on, more often than not to a Nikon D800. Rightly or wrongly it seems to be the case. There are still many fine photographers who stick around, no doubt about that. However, I do think Pentax seems to increasingly promote itself as an inclusive brand firmly aimed at the amateur middle ground and is not particularly concerned about the quality of images marketed to promote the brand. The evolution of the PPG into the acceptance of virtually anything and the ending of the Premiere Collection and also the quality of images promoted by their 'ambassadors' which are largely of the snapshot variety evidence that. I think it is an ethos which filters down to the various Pentax forums. It makes a lot of commercial sense to capture the middle ground.

It may be enlightening to find out from those Pentaxians who have moved on why they have done so and whether they have gained because of it. I think that the forum ethos of stifling discussion of other brands is a bit counterproductive too. It seems to me that Pentax kit is certainly capable of great photography and that aim should be encouraged much more than it seems to be.
davidstorm
Posted 18/05/2014 - 23:25 Link
Thanks to you all for contributing to a very interesting thread - it's been more like the old days on this one!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Stuey
Posted 18/05/2014 - 23:42 Link
cabstar wrote:
The worst is when people on this forum pm you for photography or career advice and when you reply don't even have the courtesy to say a simple thank you, the same goes for critique which takes time and despite saying you like the image but note how it could be improved posters get offended. Some of my early work was appalling but genuine comments improved my work over time.

If you just want people to like your work post on Instagram if you want an honest discussion about it then the forum should be a place where genuine critique should take place without fear of reprisals.

I am surprised at this

Having asked you for some help on one occasion, you answered promptly, gave great advice and even took time to critique my shots and offer advice on improving them - again thank you

Given my experience having asked you a question I find it hard to believe that people don't bother to respond, that's just rude
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.