Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
bforbes
Posted 17/05/2014 - 00:02 Link
There's always a price rise
johnriley
Posted 17/05/2014 - 00:17 Link
The trouble with that Barrie is that it's just wrong. There has just been an announcement of a whole mass of price reductions....

Just to clear up a point, there has never been any attempt to make up any rule about what the Gallery and the Your Photos section of the forum are for. Just use them as you wish, but use them. If you do that then there will be plenty of pictures to look at an comment on, in both locations.
Best regards, John
davidstorm
I think this thread sums up my original point - there's only four of us that have contributed so far!

For heavens sake, what are people doing on a Friday Night?

Regards
David
Flickr

Edited by davidstorm: 17/05/2014 - 00:17
davidstorm
Correction to previous post - five of us now!!
Flickr

bforbes
Posted 17/05/2014 - 00:24 Link
johnriley wrote:
The trouble with that Barrie is that it's just wrong. There has just been an announcement of a whole mass of price reductions....

So David's announcement about the FF is correct then. (said with a sense of humour)
davidstorm
Posted 17/05/2014 - 00:30 Link
bforbes wrote:
johnriley wrote:

So David's announcement about the FF is correct then. (said with a sense of humour)

A rash of price reductions is always a precursor to what? A price rise of course! Either that or an announcement of Administration
Flickr

dougf8
Posted 17/05/2014 - 00:35 Link
From my perspective.

1. work is harder/longer as the employer tries to get as much "value" from my sorry carcass.
2. money is tighter than it was a few years back
3. toddler demands are high
4. I'm knackered

I think 1 and 2 might apply to a few more people.

I might try and get back to the local club next season. If so I might have more output to discus on here. I've never posted too many images so you'll need a more prolific poster to answer that one.
Lurking is shirking.!
davidstorm
Posted 17/05/2014 - 00:37 Link
Thanks Doug, that's 6 contributors now! Sounds like you have more important things to consider than this website!

Cheers
David
Flickr

bforbes
Posted 17/05/2014 - 00:53 Link
Talking of contributors. According to the "Members' Member List" we have 15051 members spread of 502 pages. As far as I can make out there are 438 pages of members with less than 10 posts. Maybe not as many interested in the forum as we think?
michaelblue
Posted 17/05/2014 - 06:11 Link
I think Nigel has a point about the small thumbnails,
I tend to pick out only the 'stand out' images to look at.
Perhaps a revamp of the gallery home page?
Any suggestion as to how the gallery page could be improved to encourage more activity? Include a running slideshow, larger thumbnails, scoring/rating system etc.?
Regards,
Michael
McGregNi
Posted 17/05/2014 - 06:16 Link
One of the biggest Pentax things to get excited about lately has been the new digital 645, an amazing new camera which successfully integrates medium format aspects with some of the latest and greatest DSLR developments as found on the K3. This creates a more all-round usable camera (perhaps not quite truely 'hand-holdable' but easier to handle and more responsive) and all with the large sensor quality.

Sadly though it seems to have mostly passed us by here - not much talking about it, and I don't recall seeing anyones images either? Is it the case that it is unmarketable to enthusiests? I presume those professional users who have them are far too busy making money out of it to get involved in forum discussions?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
McGregNi
Posted 17/05/2014 - 06:24 Link
Michael, yes I'm sure there are ways to improve the initial view of the gallery. One problem is the way that images quickly vanish onto the 'underneath' pages, and you have to click through to see them, so for someone just having a quick glance you just see the current most recent selection.

Perhaps a few larger windows with a slideshow each of different categories, going back through the whole day. So you'd have one landscape, one wildlife, one architecture window etc, each cycling (say 7 seconds each) the days photos from that category. You could sit back and watch for a while - see one you like and a click on it could open it full-size on a new tab. You can look at it more closely, comment, close the tab and go back to the slideshow overview page again.

At least this way everyones images would get a fair crack at it and be seen a better size initially.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
michaelblue
Posted 17/05/2014 - 06:42 Link
I agree Nigel, that's the main problem for me, photos quickly getting lost into the background pages.
Categories would be good (I know there's a filter system but that's too long winded) on the gallery page and some kind of slideshow would be more interactive
Regards,
Michael

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.