What has happened?


davidstorm

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 22:45
..... on the Forum and the site in general?

Is it my imagination or have things gone downhill a bit lately? Very little quality in the Gallery, very little interaction and controversy on Forum threads. I find it harder and harder to get enthused about the site, is it just me?

Opinions please!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

McGregNi

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 22:51
Just send me another one of your RAW files David, then lets see if my software arsenal can make it less blue! That should kick start things!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 22:59
I daren't do that Nigel, I don't know what might follow!

Do you think things have been a bit tame lately?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

bforbes

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 23:00
davidstorm wrote:
..... on the Forum and the site in general?

Is it my imagination or have things gone downhill a bit lately? Very little quality in the Gallery, very little interaction and controversy on Forum threads. I find it harder and harder to get enthused about the site, is it just me?

Opinions please!

Regards
David

I think you are correct.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 23:17
davidstorm wrote:
..... Very little quality in the Gallery, ......

Putting the quality issue aside I tend to post images in the 'Your Photos' section. I haven't quite figured out the benefits of the gallery. Although, I must admit, I don't look there very often
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 23:23
RalphHardwick wrote:
Putting the quality issue aside I tend to post images in the 'Your Photos' section. I haven't quite figured out the benefits of the gallery. Although, I must admit, I don't look there very often

I've never really understood why a lot of members don't look in the Gallery. After all, we are photographers and wouldn't the Gallery be a focal point for looking at images posted by our peers? Despite my comments about a lack of quality, there are some gems that appear in there from time to time, but lately the number of views has been diminishing. Also, I was surprised to see one of my images posted fairly recently, that I considered to be not one of my best, in fact just a 'snapshot', had attracted 107 views, when some of my better work was way behind this. Does this indicate a lack of critical appraisal of Gallery images?

I want to be pushed hard to improve myself and I don't feel that the site is doing this lately.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

bforbes

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 23:25
I thought images posted in "Your Photos" were put in as "up for discussion" the gallery was an "exhibition" of your work
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 23:31
bforbes wrote:
I thought images posted in "Your Photos" were put in as "up for discussion" the gallery was an "exhibition" of your work

That's why I post my images in the forum as I am oping for C&C

davidstorm wrote:

I want to be pushed hard to improve myself and I don't feel that the site is doing this lately.

I'd agree with that
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"
Last Edited by RalphHardwick on 16/05/2014 - 23:32

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 23:31
bforbes wrote:
I thought images posted in "Your Photos" were put in as "up for discussion" the gallery was an "exhibition" of your work

I'm not sure Barrie. If this is the case, why are we allowed to comment on Gallery images?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 16/05/2014 - 23:32

bforbes

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 23:33
davidstorm wrote:


Also, I was surprised to see one of my images posted fairly recently, that I considered to be not one of my best, in fact just a 'snapshot', had attracted 107 views, when some of my better work was way behind this. Does this indicate a lack of critical appraisal of Gallery images?

That is sometimes a function of how many other images are posted around the same time. i.e. it gets lost in the mellay.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

McGregNi

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 23:41
The gallery suffers from its thumbnail-style presentation. Only a certain type of image will stand out and attract instant attention at the thumbnail size - this tends to be simpler, graphic type images with bold colours, or mono. Highly detailed images that might look superb large, and in proper viewing software, may not have much impact as they sit on the gallery page and get quickly scanned by viewers.

I am guilty of not spending much time in the gallery, and I often feel bad for missing images by people I know. I have limited time for it though, and I prioritise the forum because I like the debate, technical & artistic discussions on images and especially talk of Pentax camera operations and image processing matters - thats all my sort of thing!

I think theres a bit of a plateau been reached at the moment for Pentax -over the 2-3 years I've been around the big things have been the K5II / s and all the debate about the aa filter, then the K3 and talk of sensor resolutions, and of course all the time in the background the constant resurfacing of the full-frame desires. This seems to have settled as we have to accept the situation for now. The cycle of development will pick up again and that will kickstart more discussion as people make their wishlists again.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

bforbes

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 23:45
davidstorm wrote:
bforbes wrote:
I thought images posted in "Your Photos" were put in as "up for discussion" the gallery was an "exhibition" of your work

I'm not sure Barrie. If this is the case, why are we allowed to comment on Gallery images?

Regards
David

...in the same way you would comment on exhibits in an art gallery, you either like or not. Also entries in the gallery are linked to your portfolio, as a more permanent record. Were as "Your Photo" entries are more likely to be lost among the FS and WTB posts.

Maybe that is the reason for the decline, the ratio of ads. to discussion has gone out of balance.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

bforbes

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 23:48
McGregNi wrote:



I think theres a bit of a plateau been reached at the moment for Pentax -over the 2-3 years I've been around the big things have been the K5II / s and all the debate about the aa filter, then the K3 and talk of sensor resolutions, and of course all the time in the background the constant resurfacing of the full-frame desires. This seems to have settled as we have to accept the situation for now. The cycle of development will pick up again and that will kickstart more discussion as people make their wishlists again.

Will you start the rumour or will I??????
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 23:48
What can be done to put it back on track?
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/05/2014 - 23:50
bforbes wrote:
McGregNi wrote:



I think theres a bit of a plateau been reached at the moment for Pentax -over the 2-3 years I've been around the big things have been the K5II / s and all the debate about the aa filter, then the K3 and talk of sensor resolutions, and of course all the time in the background the constant resurfacing of the full-frame desires. This seems to have settled as we have to accept the situation for now. The cycle of development will pick up again and that will kickstart more discussion as people make their wishlists again.

Will you start the rumour or will I??????

I will do it!

PENTAX ANNOUNCES BIGGER THAN FULL FRAME SENSOR AND UP TO 1,000,000 ISO WITH ZERO IMAGE NOISE, IN COMPACT DSLR PACKAGE THAT RETAILS FOR UNDER 500!

Is that any good?
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 16/05/2014 - 23:50
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.