Weekly Competition # 60

Topic Lock(s)
  • Edit Lock Enabled - You will not be able to edit/delete your posts in this topic.

johnriley

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 20:22
The question I posed was what would you like to be done now that hasn't been attended to yet?

We all understand the problems, but what are the solutions?
Best regards, John

johnriley

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 20:24
Incidentally, this is the rather cryptic reply I received in response to my request for some comments on the competition photos:

Quote:
The majority of fog photographs do not work. This one dose. Also the person in the photo defiantly wanted to be alone!

[The dread of loneliness is greater than the fear of bondage, so we get married.][ Cyril Connolly]

Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 31/08/2008 - 20:25

Malo1961

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 20:45
johnriley wrote:
The question I posed was what would you like to be done now that hasn't been attended to yet?

I"ll guess I wrongfully expected, you figured that out by now,John
Doesn't it make you think twice, when members like Lilly post in this thread, the way she did? Or when ideas arise to deliberately boycott the system and start off a new comp. in the old style?
Can you tell me one thing John. Are you happy with the way things are developing here in the last 6 weeks?

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

Hyram

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 20:49
johnriley wrote:

For me, I guess that the first thing for us (the end users of the Forum) to do would be to decide that Competition No. 61 will take place back in its original place on the Forum.

That way we retain total control over how it operates and with a bit of luck the entries will increase again.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

Malo1961

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 20:51
Hyram wrote:
johnriley wrote:

For me, I guess that the first thing for us (the end users of the Forum) to do would be to decide that Competition No. 61 will take place back in its original place on the Forum.

That way we retain total control over how it operates and with a bit of luck the entries will increase again.

I second that.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Hyram

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 20:52
johnriley wrote:
Incidentally, this is the rather cryptic reply I received in response to my request for some comments on the competition photos:

Quote:
The majority of fog photographs do not work. This one dose. Also the person in the photo defiantly wanted to be alone!

[The dread of loneliness is greater than the fear of bondage, so we get married.][ Cyril Connolly]

John, hopefully that response might help to convince you that the Competition flourished when located within the forum but is now likely to perish in its current location.
Hyram

Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24

gartmore

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 21:02
Lets not pile acrimony on JR whom we all like and admire. In a nutshell, we are all somewhat disgruntled by a largely misguided attempt to fix something that wasn't broken. 'evolution not revolution' would have been better.

At the end of the day we are enjoying a facility funded by someone else: ephotozine or pentax user, I'm not sure how those things work but I think tactful persuasion might be a way forward.

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

johnriley

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 21:06
Sorry for deferring my reply to a couple of points directed at me when courtesy demands otherwise, but I don't want to influence this thread in any way.
Best regards, John

George Lazarette

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 21:14
Malo1961 wrote:
It's the devastating silence from the powers in charge that worry me the most.
No form of feedback, no asking around how we feel things are going now,......
They don't seem to recognize a slumbering fire, deprived from almost all the oxygen,just waiting for the door to open.
Martin.

Peter Bargh last logged in on 18 July, shortly after the earthquake, and has not been seen since. I don't know what he said because the "recent activity" list lists a post in March at the top.

Another one for the bug list.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

ChrisA

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 21:18
gartmore wrote:
Lets not pile acrimony on JR whom we all like and admire.

There is no acrimony towards anyone in this thread as far as I can see.

I do, however, agree that we should recognise that JR probably finds himself needing to move more tactfully than many of us feel bound to.

George Lazarette wrote:

Peter Bargh last logged in on 18 July, shortly after the earthquake, and has not been seen since. I don't know what he said because the "recent activity" list lists a post in March at the top.

I would be very surprised indeed if he doesn't have the ability to be able to log in invisibly.

It's a feature of most forum applications, although I'd concede that one can't draw too many inferences from that.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

Malo1961

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 21:18
gartmore wrote:
Lets not pile acrimony on JR whom we all like and admire.

I wasn't. And if it looked that way, I apologize.

johnriley wrote:
Sorry for deferring my reply to a couple of points directed at me when courtesy demands otherwise, but I don't want to influence this thread in any way.

Sorry John, It wasn't my intention of cornering you. I should have realized you are bound to certain "rules" as a PUT member.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

johnriley

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 21:22
Quote:
Sorry John, It wasn't my intention of cornering you. I should have realized you are bound to certain "rules" as a PUT member.

Please don't misunderstand, it's just that an answer one way or another could change the nature of the thread I I wanted the opinions of the membership, not me. I know what my opinion is and that has been stated elsewhere.

Pete is away at the moment but he will be back very shortly and will be able to read this thread then.

I didn't think anyone was piling any acrimony on me, by the way. It's not a problem - if I seek opinions as here, I really mean it!
Best regards, John

Hyram

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 21:46
I think that we all want the forum to flourish and one of the best things that happened to the forum was the idea to have an informal weekly competition.

At the risk of repeating myself, I just want that competition to carry on flourishing and I think for that to happen it needs to be brought back into the body of the forum.

I fully appreciate that JR needs to balance all views and without John's diplomatic skills this forum would not be anywhere near as civilised as it is.
Hyram

George Lazarette

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 21:56
The 18 July (Peter B's last log-in) was 3 days after the earthquake.

Now it is of course not impossible that the last log-in data is wrong, but if not, then I am a little surprised that Peter has shown so little interest after such a major upheaval, and given so much unhappiness.

EDIT: I have just seen a post by Peter dated 24 July, so the log-in data IS wrong.

Another one for the list.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Last Edited by George Lazarette on 31/08/2008 - 21:56

Malo1961

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 22:03
And while were are adding to the list
Suddenly after JR's last post in this thread, I didn't receive any notifications about the two following posts. I had to push the add notification button again.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.
Topic Lock(s)
  • Edit Lock Enabled - You will not be able to edit/delete your posts in this topic.