Weekly Competition # 60

Topic Lock(s)
  • Edit Lock Enabled - You will not be able to edit/delete your posts in this topic.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 16:49
Lilly,

I think boycotting the forum is going to kill it for sure. Let's just hope that the threat will cause a few deaf ears to start hearing, and that an actual boycott won't be necessary. I don't think we are going to go back to the old forum, so we need to maintain the pressure until this one works as well as the old.

Here are the reasons that were given for the change:

Quote:
Yes, it is very much different from the old layout and style. This has been created so we can add in new features/upgrades that the community requests.

I know I'm getting old but I don't recall any "community requests" for a feature/upgrade.

Quote:
A lot more of the site runs off a database which makes it easier for everyone to add updates to the site quicker.

What updates? Who is "everyone"?

Quote:
- You now can upload to the gallery instantly

Good. So far, that seems to have been the one positive change, although not enough to prevent a near 30% reduction in competition entries since the new site came into being.

Quote:
- News is searchable now

Big deal; it's always stale news and I personally never look at it.

Quote:
- you have your own portfolio

With a one-per-day posting limit. Great enhancement.

Quote:
- and a lot more extras scattered about.

Like what? More intrusive ads? Horrid colour scheme?

Quote:
Feel free to have a look around. If you find any bugs, or have problem, feel free to submit a report using the link at the bottom of the page and we will help you as soon as possible.

(My emphasis)

Reports went in, and six weeks later we are still waiting.

I think what might help rescue the situation would be a regularly-updated bug action list, so that we would know what is happening, and could perhaps suggest priorities. At present, nothing at all seems to have happened for quite a while, unless you count the totally unnecessary nipple filter, which served only to indicate that the bug-fixing priorities are all wrong.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

ChrisA

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 16:57
Lilly wrote:
Lament snipped

I do agree with you, Lilly. There's a je ne sais quoi that's been lost somehow.

I wonder if the powers that be read their own forum. If they do, they'd realise that Lilly is a) one of our best photographers, and b) not at all like the (cough) cantankerous argumentative types that have had the temerity to express views about the forum in recent times.

So if they ought to listen to anyone, it's to her.

That aside,

Lilly wrote:
I would much rather go back to the time when I had the very minor inconvenience of transferring from PHOTOBUCKET and have the forum alive, friendly, less complicated (for comps, which is a superb and important learning tool and more rewarding.)

There's nothing stopping us from boycotting the new competition area, and continuing the way we were. All we need is a thread as we had before, and people to post pictures in it.

I'd be up for it. Hell, I'd probably even remember to submit some photos, no matter how little chance they had of winning
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

johnriley

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 17:02
If you put in a report you get an answer and an update as things go along. You'll find your reports in Community>FAQs. So far reports have been actioned pretty much the same (working) day.

Without prompting an OTT response, in summary what would you like to be done that has not been attended to? A few brief notes could be helpful just to make sure the current feeling is clear?
Best regards, John

gartmore

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 17:09
Me too, I feel less inclined to take part now. It is hard to put my finger on the reason - perhaps the slightly homespun appeal of the competition has been lost and that was part of its attraction but a lack of peer feedback has been lacking of late as Lily says. It isn't as if a K20D is up for grabs every week so the C&C was the best part.

Can we just have it back the way it was, it now feels part of the Pentax User web site and not part of the forum where it started.

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Hyram

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 17:29
ChrisA wrote:

There's nothing stopping us from boycotting the new competition area, and continuing the way we were. All we need is a thread as we had before, and people to post pictures in it.

I'd be up for it. Hell, I'd probably even remember to submit some photos, no matter how little chance they had of winning

A very good point.

At least we would retain control over the competition and it is supposed to be part of the Forum.

At the moment it appears to have become almost totally automated.

There would have been two more entries for this week's competition (Belinda B. and myself) if the auto shut off facility had not kicked in at the wrong time.

The only benefit of the new system is the ability to have the judge's comments directly under the relevant photograph. But that is of no benefit at all, if the judge does not make any comments.

I guess the new forum is a good example of the old maxim about "features and benefits".

Features are of no use whatsoever if they are not a benefit to the end user.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

ganners

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 17:45
Some of the recent winners have been very new here (not that I can speak!). Perhaps some guidance notes for competition 'setters' would help?

Paul
K10D, Kit 18-55, Sigma 70-300 APO, Mecablitz AF48

ChrisA

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 17:46
johnriley wrote:
Without prompting an OTT response, in summary what would you like to be done that has not been attended to? A few brief notes could be helpful just to make sure the current feeling is clear?

The trouble is, there is no 'current feeling' as such, that can be summarised in a few brief notes. The 'current feeling' varies from 'a bit ill-at-ease' with the new site, to 'extremely frustrated', depending on what one is trying to achieve.

The other problem is that we can only see our own problem reports. So we don't know what's been reported and what hasn't.

And everyone will have a slightly different idea of what's important.

Personally, I think the list of problems should be public, so that we know what everyone is reporting. [Edit:] And what they are and aren't actioning.

Then we won't

a) report something for the millionth time because we don't know that everyone else has already reported it, and

b) fail to report something because we assume someone else has.

This would be far preferable to the 'divide and exhaust' policy currently in force, since there would be fewer duplicate reports for the team to follow up, answer and close.

And, dare I say it, much better investigation of issues - since everyone's experience can be brought to bear. I think as a community we're pretty good system testers, actually - it's just that the test results don't seem to be too welcome sometimes.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Last Edited by ChrisA on 31/08/2008 - 17:48

George Lazarette

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 18:00
johnriley wrote:
If you put in a report you get an answer and an update as things go along. You'll find your reports in Community>FAQs. So far reports have been actioned pretty much the same (working) day.

Here's my list:

Provide a proper system for taking you to the most recent unread post.

Fix the green "new posts" icon, so that it doesn't indicate there are new posts when there aren't.

Fix the password problem. If I try to log in on a different computer my password doesn't seem to get recognised, and when I ask for a new one it takes me back to the "request a new password" screen as though my request hadn't worked.

Fix the competitions bug.

Fix the sort order in the message search.

Change to a more eye-friendly colour scheme. (Probably hasn't been requested, but I think the present scheme is nasty).

Show current visitors on the main screen by default, instead of burying it in a menu.

That's all I can think of at present.

G

PS: Making the bug list public is what I meant in my earlier post.

royd63uk

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 18:05
Well i have just looked at this competition photo's and they are all very good...BUT no comments at all (apart from the one i just left) and a slideshow ability would be useful instead of having to click for each one.
Roy
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery

Malo1961

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 18:30
Well, to add a bit from me in this thread. When I saw lilly's post, I thought.....
As Chris said:
Quote:

I wonder if the powers that be read their own forum. If they do, they'd realise that Lilly is a) one of our best photographers, and b) not at all like the (cough) cantankerous argumentative types that have had the temerity to express views about the forum in recent times.

So if they ought to listen to anyone, it's to her.

Everything else has been said, I am afraid. The competition "new style" has lost it.
Very subjective I know, but that's how I feel about it. It used to be something I very much looked out for, and always considered it as the "Highlight" of this forum.
Now it doesn't appeal to me anymore, and I am getting more reluctant every week in my desire to enter. And why?? I assumed at first the holiday season and getting used to the new style were the main reasons for the lack of entries as we were used to in the old days. But now I really think there are other reasons playing a major role here. I don't know about others and I can only speak for myself, but it just doesn't feel like "coming home" anymore. I feel like a stranger in my own house, a house with no character and soul.And therefore lack the need/joy to enter the competitions or even participate frequently in other threads as in the old times.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

Hyram

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 19:16
Malo1961 wrote:
I feel like a stranger in my own house................

Martin.

A very good summary.

I think that we need to 'drag' the competition back into the forum, where it was born.

I feel that it is an inherent part of the forum.

The forum is all about learning from others and that is also what the competition is all about, or at least should be about.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

Gwyn

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 19:23
I agree that the competition belongs in the forum, with the active forum members, not those who only contribute to the gallery and competition. I can imagine that judges are more reluctant to make honest judgements when the photo is by a "stranger" than when it is by someone you know on the forum. It was a bit of fun on the forum, a fun way of learning - to take photos but more importantly to look at photos. Now it just seems way too serious somehow.
Maybe better guidelines would help, but that won't stop me forgetting to check the gallery.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 19:40
Another (minor) glitch.

I attempted to upload a pic to the gallery, and waited for a little while for the upload to finish.

Then it told me that there was an error - I hadn't specified a category. (It doesn't tell you this is a requirement on the upload page).

So I specified a category, and tried again. Another error - it had "forgotten" my image, and wanted me to specify it again.

The same thing happens if you don't give the picture a title.

A properly written program should have specified in advance which fields were mandatory, and reported the discrepancies immediately, before attempting the upload. It would also record the data you had entered rather than making you start from scratch.

And why do we need a title anyway? It'll just get Chris agitated.

G

George Lazarette

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 19:49
royd63uk wrote:
Well i have just looked at this competition photo's and they are all very good...BUT no comments at all (apart from the one i just left)
Roy

You have very good taste, Roy.

G

Malo1961

Link Posted 31/08/2008 - 20:14
Gwyn wrote:
It was a bit of fun on the forum, a fun way of learning - to take photos but more importantly to look at photos. Now it just seems way too serious somehow.

Well, you can skip the serious part. In another thread regarding the comp. also, I stated: Every entrie deserves a comment from the judge. Of course there are valid reasons were an exception should/could be made ( personal circumstances or language barriers) But I think it is only a matter of respect to all the participants in a competition to spend a few words at least at every entrie.

Hyram wrote:

At least we would retain control over the competition and it is supposed to be part of the Forum.

There you have it. The powers in charge don't want that.
"The forum that used to be" had to be made a solid part of the bigger picture.
And that bigger picture seems to result in a forum, we still don't find comfortable
to "live" in. The issues around the competition hick ups are just on thing.
It's the devastating silence from the powers in charge that worry me the most.
No form of feedback, no asking around how we feel things are going now,......
They don't seem to recognize a slumbering fire, deprived from almost all the oxygen,just waiting for the door to open.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.
Topic Lock(s)
  • Edit Lock Enabled - You will not be able to edit/delete your posts in this topic.