User feedback on K-S2

Russ

Link Posted 03/05/2015 - 19:04
Just wondering if anyone who has the K-S2 could give some feedback on how they are liking it. I've sold everything i need to sell and now ready to start looking at a new camera body. I had a look at some competing cameras in Currys today (sorry i was bored while the wife looked at vacuum cleaners). No surprise that there was not a Pentax in sight, nor does the local LCE have one either. The competing cameras from the company beginning with C were all pretty rubbish, never liked that line of cameras. Poor hand grip and naff build. But the one from the company starting with N was actually pretty nice to hold and pretty good all round. But it looks like i'm not going to get a chance to hold a K-S2 because no one local has one.

johnriley

Link Posted 03/05/2015 - 19:31
You could read my EPZ/PU review, which covers what I thought of the K-S2. TIPA awards, EPZ Editor's Choice....plus a lot of very favourable comment across the web.

Buy with confidence, I'm sure you'll love it!
Best regards, John

spinno

Link Posted 03/05/2015 - 19:43
Do you have a Jessops nearby? They will have them.
David

Russ

Link Posted 03/05/2015 - 20:31
spinno wrote:
Do you have a Jessops nearby? They will have them.

No, unfortunately not. It was one of the stores that didn't re-open.

johnriley wrote:
You could read my EPZ/PU review, which covers what I thought of the K-S2. TIPA awards, EPZ Editor's Choice....plus a lot of very favourable comment across the web.

Buy with confidence, I'm sure you'll love it!

Thanks John. Read the review and 99% convinced.

JohnX

Link Posted 03/05/2015 - 23:11
If there's one close to you I believe John Lewis stores stock them. Check first though.
Last Edited by JohnX on 03/05/2015 - 23:11

richandfleur

Link Posted 04/05/2015 - 00:01
It's disappointing that you can't get your hands on a model to play with.

Here in NZ there may be one or two shops in the whole country with Pentax in stock, so it's basically unheard of here.
It's disappointing to think the situation is actually similar in the UK.

I'm looking more to the USA for products now, given everything I want to purchase (Pentax wise) is going to be an import anyway.
BHPhoto for instance now ship internationally with a cheap slow freight option, which starts to make it doable for me.

Good luck and I'd be interested to hear how you get on and what your thoughts of the K-S2 are.

derek897

Link Posted 04/05/2015 - 01:06
It's no better here in Ireland either. There seems to be only one shop carrying pentax stock. And they have a k 30 a k5ii and a K5iis that's it. The K5iis is listed at 1049.99. m lucky we're so close to the UK, and a couple of classified adverts sites. But no chance to get your hands on to try out new stuff.
I know what i like, If not always why.

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 04/05/2015 - 08:36
I bought one as a second camera to my K3 and have hardly used the K3 since.
Very nice to use simple menus light compact but solid takes wonderful photos and is also now my wife's preferred camera.
Took it to South America for a 3 week holiday with the pentax 18-135wr lens and really all I can say is this camera has everything I need or want in a camera.
Buy one you won't be disappointed.
Cheers,

Bruce

madmazda86

Link Posted 05/05/2015 - 13:46
I tried one out in Merchant City Camera in Glasgow a few weeks ago. It felt a little cheap in my hands, if I'm honest, but menu navigation etc is really straightforward and the collapsible kit lens is really, really neat!

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 05/05/2015 - 13:57
madmazda86 wrote:
I tried one out in Merchant City Camera in Glasgow a few weeks ago. It felt a little cheap in my hands, if I'm honest, but menu navigation etc is really straightforward and the collapsible kit lens is really, really neat!

It doesn't feel as solid as the K3 but it is miles better than a similar Niton or Canon.
Nikon especially feel like cheap rubbish.
Cheers,

Bruce

Russ

Link Posted 05/05/2015 - 15:08
BruceStrachan wrote:
I bought one as a second camera to my K3 and have hardly used the K3 since.
Very nice to use simple menus light compact but solid takes wonderful photos and is also now my wife's preferred camera.
Took it to South America for a 3 week holiday with the pentax 18-135wr lens and really all I can say is this camera has everything I need or want in a camera.
Buy one you won't be disappointed.

Many thanks Bruce. That's great feedback.

Russ

Link Posted 05/05/2015 - 15:17
madmazda86 wrote:

I tried out the Canon 700D, 70D and Nikon D5300, D5500 in Currys. The 700D was very poorly built, very toy town like. The D5500 also poor finished compared to what we are used to Pentax land. But the handgrip was beautiful, fitted like a glove. External controls were non-existent though.

I will pop down to John Lewis and try out the K-S2. Probably best. Not expecting K5 levels of build and finish but just hoping it feels and looks better than the Canon.

madmazda86

Link Posted 05/05/2015 - 16:16
Yeah, I dunno, the KS-2 just felt a lot more boxy in my hands. I think it's definitely best to try it out and see how you handle it!

Russ

Link Posted 07/05/2015 - 08:00
madmazda86 wrote:
Yeah, I dunno, the KS-2 just felt a lot more boxy in my hands. I think it's definitely best to try it out and see how you handle it!

I'm going to try it out in John Lewis this weekend. I'm hoping its okay, i just need to lower my expectations from how the K5 felt. But as i'm looking for a smaller and lighter camera than the K5 it should fit the bill. Ticks a lot of boxes.

lennythelion

Link Posted 07/05/2015 - 09:13
I tried one in Jessops, tbh I found it less ergonomically satisfying than my k30.

Hth
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.