User feedback on K-S2

hoopsontoast
Posted 27/05/2015 - 13:32 Link
My K-S2 should be here today.... Went for boring Plain Black
D-FA28-105 | FA43 | K55 | DA100 Macro | DA*300
Pentax K1 | Pentax K-01 | Pentax MZ-S | Pentax MZ-5n
Flickr Photostream
tyronet2000
Posted 29/05/2015 - 07:32 Link
Received mine yesterday and upgraded the firmware to Ver.1.01, still something I'm never 100% happy with until the COMPLETE message come on screen then everything works as it should. First impressions good although the menu system is a little different but will get used to it. Can always set up User with frequently used settings. Just need to get out and take some snaps.
The provided manual will be used quite a lot over the next few days.


Thanks to Doug at SRS for making the part exchange a painless process and quickly dispatching the camera to me.
Regards
Stan

PPG
McGregNi
Posted 29/05/2015 - 07:56 Link
It will be interesting to hear your user feedback Stan. Performance-wise the camera is clearly right up there. The only consistent negative point I keep reading about is the 'grip' , caused by the particular body shape. This presumably will always be linked to individuals hand shapes and sizes, a very personal preference. My own test is always that I need to be able to release one hand from the camera, even a big item like my gripped K7, and still feel secure with it and able to move it around in one hand until the other hand is back again,
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Algernon
Posted 29/05/2015 - 08:36 Link
How good is it at doing selfies

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
tyronet2000
Posted 29/05/2015 - 10:42 Link
K-S2 18-135mm@135mm f/8 1/200sec IS0 800 Tweaked in Photoshop

Comment Image


I need to go through the settings menu and do a little tweaking there. Does obviously feel "different" to the gripped K-5IIs but fits my "bloody great paws" as my hands have been referred to and I can hold it with one hand although with a lens such as the 18-135mm I think this could get tiring, but for normal shooting, two hands, this is not going to be a problem. The main thing for me was the fact I can hold the camera while shooting without accidentally touching any of the other buttons on the back, a problem for me with the Panasonic G6. I would advise anyone thinking of getting the K-S2 to go to a stockist, if possible as I did, and try holding it etc. I did like the articulating viewing screen on the G6 for low level shooting and shooting directly overhead ceiling details say in churches etc., without dislocating my neck and expect the Pentax version to fulfill this too. Haven't tried any selfies yet although again think this camera will be up the mark. So all in all a satisfied customer, well for now anyway
Regards
Stan

PPG
Algernon
Posted 29/05/2015 - 12:33 Link
That's a very impressive shot. Super colours and detail.
Might be a bit too sharp for selfies

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
tyronet2000
Posted 29/05/2015 - 14:22 Link
Algernon wrote:
That's a very impressive shot. Super colours and detail.
Might be a bit too sharp for selfies

--
Thanks Algi. I'm a bit worried a selfie will show all my wrinkles and make me look too old to own a nice camera like this
Regards
Stan

PPG
McGregNi
Posted 29/05/2015 - 14:56 Link
I'd have thought the AA filter simulator could be brought into play there Stan ..... Could be just the thing for wrinkles . Would have to decide on the low, medium or strong setting though

Nice first shot for us there, looking good and sharp. Glad to hear that the handling is no problem . Looks like you're going to get your monies worth , and plenty more!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 29/05/2015 - 14:58
edri
Posted 30/05/2015 - 10:20 Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
Received mine yesterday and upgraded the firmware to Ver.1.01,....
Congratulations for the new device.
What about the rustling noise when the shutter button is half-pressed?
Do you heard this noise from your camera?
Edited by edri: 30/05/2015 - 10:21
tyronet2000
Posted 30/05/2015 - 17:47 Link
edri wrote:
tyronet2000 wrote:
Received mine yesterday and upgraded the firmware to Ver.1.01,....
Congratulations for the new device.
What about the rustling noise when the shutter button is half-pressed?
Do you heard this noise from your camera?
Very unlikely with my defective hearing so unless my wife hears it, I'll ask her to listen carefully when I take a shot and see if she hears anything. I wear hearing aids and if it's at all noisy or windy I have have a problem hearing the "beep" when the camera is focused, but watch this space
Regards
Stan

PPG
johnriley
Posted 30/05/2015 - 18:15 Link
The SR system will make a sound, as will focusing.
Best regards, John
Algernon
Posted 30/05/2015 - 18:29 Link
I wonder when the 1st thread will appear along the lines of..........
"What's the Best Lens for Selfies"

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
johnriley
Posted 30/05/2015 - 18:36 Link
You've mentioned selfies a few times Algi. I think we should see a selfie from you to show us how it's done? On a Pentax of course.....
Best regards, John
malcolmk
Posted 31/05/2015 - 10:57 Link
I had a day with the K-S2 and 18-50 kit lens yesterday before transferring it to its new owner whose priority was 'something small'. I am a K3 owner and found the S2 a bit small and fiddly for my liking and I never did get used to the ISO adjust being on the 4 way controller. Missed the top screen too where I usually set ISO and aperture.

Probably if you've never had them you'd think nothing of it.

My habit of raising the K3 to my eye and then switching it on let me down on the S2. Flick the switch around to the end of its travel and it goes to video!

Artic screen was useful several times but shooting inside a museum I found myself using 6400 ISO which I have never used on the K3. My own rule of thumb is never buy a lens under F2.8!

The shutter is a bit louder than the K3's.

I also discovered that the new K3 firmware is not just for the two big new zooms. It warns you when the new 18-50 kit lens is retracted (collapsed) too.

Images were fine as far as I could tell from a magnified rear screen. Shot JPG and card has gone to new owner so no detailed examination..

Not such a relaxed shoot as with the K3 because I spent too much time playing 'hunt the button/menu' but basically it is all there and a few new gizmos on top. Not that I particularly value Wifi.

A bargain at SRS's low price and £40 cash back.

Oh, and it does do OK selfies too!
Edited by malcolmk: 31/05/2015 - 11:01
jules
Posted 02/06/2015 - 10:41 Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cbhWydQz5w

Another review...

And the longer version of the K-S2 Intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4yXmYb6QfI
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Edited by jules: 02/06/2015 - 11:49

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo