User feedback on K-S2
Posted 07/05/2015 - 09:37
Link
Quite a split on whether people like it or not, so glad i haven't dived straight in. I actually preferred the grip of the K30 to the K5. But the controls and ergonomics on the K5 were perfect. Will let you all know next week.
Posted 07/05/2015 - 11:23
Link
either way you will get used to it - cant think of anything better than this camera, well maybe to be able to shoot at 1600+ ISO because it's still not the case... otherwise perfect.
Digital: KP, Film: KX, ME Super
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Pentax 16-85mm, Pentax DA 20-40 ltd
Pentax 21mm f3.2 ltd, Sigma 24mm f2.8 macro, Pentax 28mm f2.8, Pentax 35mm f2.8 macro, Pentax 43mm f1.9 LTD, Pentax 50mm FA f1.7, Pentax A 50mm f1.7, Pentax K 55mm f1.8, Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4
Metz 36 AF-4
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Pentax 16-85mm, Pentax DA 20-40 ltd
Pentax 21mm f3.2 ltd, Sigma 24mm f2.8 macro, Pentax 28mm f2.8, Pentax 35mm f2.8 macro, Pentax 43mm f1.9 LTD, Pentax 50mm FA f1.7, Pentax A 50mm f1.7, Pentax K 55mm f1.8, Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4
Metz 36 AF-4
Posted 09/05/2015 - 22:28
Link
I've got one... LOVE IT.
Yes it doesn't feel as nice as my K5ii but I've got used to it. The sensor is amazing and got me out of a scrape recently when my flash guns weren't powerful enough. It has a louder shutter than the K5ii but nothing extreme. Flip screen is really useful and I've been doing more video. Got to say this is probably Pentax's best video cam, totally manual controls and all that.
I would recommend it - totally.
Yes it doesn't feel as nice as my K5ii but I've got used to it. The sensor is amazing and got me out of a scrape recently when my flash guns weren't powerful enough. It has a louder shutter than the K5ii but nothing extreme. Flip screen is really useful and I've been doing more video. Got to say this is probably Pentax's best video cam, totally manual controls and all that.
I would recommend it - totally.
Proud to be a Pentaxian since 1996:
Cosina C1, Pentax Me Super, Pentax MZ5n, Pentax k10, Pentax K7, Pentax K5ii, Pentax K-S2, Pentax 540 flash,
Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 17-50mm... MF Tamron 90mm, Pentax 50mm F1.7, Sigma 50mm Macro,
Bowens lights, Yongnuo flash.
Cosina C1, Pentax Me Super, Pentax MZ5n, Pentax k10, Pentax K7, Pentax K5ii, Pentax K-S2, Pentax 540 flash,
Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 17-50mm... MF Tamron 90mm, Pentax 50mm F1.7, Sigma 50mm Macro,
Bowens lights, Yongnuo flash.
Posted 10/05/2015 - 07:35
Link
Bluewhistle2 wrote:
I've got one... LOVE IT.
Yes it doesn't feel as nice as my K5ii but I've got used to it. The sensor is amazing and got me out of a scrape recently when my flash guns weren't powerful enough. It has a louder shutter than the K5ii but nothing extreme. Flip screen is really useful and I've been doing more video. Got to say this is probably Pentax's best video cam, totally manual controls and all that.
I would recommend it - totally.
Sounds just the job. I never made it to John Lewis to try out the K-S2, struck down with the dreaded man flu. Spent the weekend feeling sorry for myself instead. But already decided after two days of Googling that's its the camera for me.
I've got one... LOVE IT.
Yes it doesn't feel as nice as my K5ii but I've got used to it. The sensor is amazing and got me out of a scrape recently when my flash guns weren't powerful enough. It has a louder shutter than the K5ii but nothing extreme. Flip screen is really useful and I've been doing more video. Got to say this is probably Pentax's best video cam, totally manual controls and all that.
I would recommend it - totally.
Posted 10/05/2015 - 13:31
Link
Yes Russ... I've been very happy. One review said the video was bad... but I disagree... I shot all the images on this website with it. The studio shots on the other pages were without flash and I could just trust the camera at 1600/2000 iso.... beautiful. I love Pentax... I've grown with them.
http://www.theweavemusic.com
http://www.theweavemusic.com
Proud to be a Pentaxian since 1996:
Cosina C1, Pentax Me Super, Pentax MZ5n, Pentax k10, Pentax K7, Pentax K5ii, Pentax K-S2, Pentax 540 flash,
Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 17-50mm... MF Tamron 90mm, Pentax 50mm F1.7, Sigma 50mm Macro,
Bowens lights, Yongnuo flash.
Cosina C1, Pentax Me Super, Pentax MZ5n, Pentax k10, Pentax K7, Pentax K5ii, Pentax K-S2, Pentax 540 flash,
Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 17-50mm... MF Tamron 90mm, Pentax 50mm F1.7, Sigma 50mm Macro,
Bowens lights, Yongnuo flash.
Posted 11/05/2015 - 05:19
Link
Bluewhistle2 wrote:
Yes Russ... I've been very happy. One review said the video was bad... but I disagree... I shot all the images on this website with it. http://www.theweavemusic.com
You disagree the video is bad, but I don't see any video shot with the K-S2 on that site?Yes Russ... I've been very happy. One review said the video was bad... but I disagree... I shot all the images on this website with it. http://www.theweavemusic.com
What am I missing?
Posted 11/05/2015 - 06:15
Link
The k50/ k500 is a cracking camera
Posted 11/05/2015 - 06:17
Link
That's actually two cameras and it's also off topic for this thread about the K-S2
Posted 12/05/2015 - 09:24
Link
I just got the K-S2 at the weekend. Upgraded from the K10D. Love the feel of it especially for a lady with particularly small hands!! It's much lighter and seems much more user friendly than my old one. Love the retractable lens, fits in a small bag nicely. Haven't done too much with it yet but initial reaction is it's great.
Following on from other comments I guess I must count myself as lucky as our local camera store is a Pentax super dealer so have loads of kit to try out......I'm a bit like a kid in a sweet shop when I go in there!!
Following on from other comments I guess I must count myself as lucky as our local camera store is a Pentax super dealer so have loads of kit to try out......I'm a bit like a kid in a sweet shop when I go in there!!
Vicki
K-s2, K10D with kit lens, Tamron 90mm 1:2.8, Tamron 70-300 F/4.6-5.6 Di, Samsung 16 -45 F4 Pentax Da 60- 250
K-s2, K10D with kit lens, Tamron 90mm 1:2.8, Tamron 70-300 F/4.6-5.6 Di, Samsung 16 -45 F4 Pentax Da 60- 250
Posted 12/05/2015 - 21:45
Link
You can't upgrade from a K10, you can only buy a different camera!
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 16/05/2015 - 04:55
Link
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k-s2/pentax-k-s2-shooters-report-pa...
Imaging Resource seem to like the K-S2 but not so much it's collapsible buddy, overall fair reviewing with the many pluses far outweighing the negatives, although he hasn't got to video yet...
Imaging Resource seem to like the K-S2 but not so much it's collapsible buddy, overall fair reviewing with the many pluses far outweighing the negatives, although he hasn't got to video yet...
Cheers Jules...
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Posted 19/05/2015 - 20:45 - Helpful Comment
Link
I had a look at both the the K-S2 and K3 at the weekend on a visit to WEX and was able to compare them to my K30. My thoughts FWIW.
I found that:-
- the button positioning is as good as the K30 (but see grip comment below);
- the menus seemed slightly simpler;
- the flick out screen works well
- and its hinge looks more robust than those on Canons;
- it is smaller and so possibly less intimidating to people being photographed;
although:-
- as per a previous comment, the grip is smaller (worse from me, but a personal thing so may be a plus point);
- the shape of the buttons in the navigation group means they are difficult to tell apart by feel alone (The K3 is best here.);
- the menus are in a new font. The size is about the same but the lines are thinner and so harder to read;
- despite the spec. saying that they are the same size, the active area of the screen seems slightly smaller due to the platic surround.
I wasn't able to compare picture quality.
The K3's button layout seems slightly better than both K30 and K-S2, except that the, order of the buttons in the navigation group is different from the K30. (It is in fact more like the earlier K-r.) Why do they keep moving them around?
I hope this helps.
I found that:-
- the button positioning is as good as the K30 (but see grip comment below);
- the menus seemed slightly simpler;
- the flick out screen works well
- and its hinge looks more robust than those on Canons;
- it is smaller and so possibly less intimidating to people being photographed;
although:-
- as per a previous comment, the grip is smaller (worse from me, but a personal thing so may be a plus point);
- the shape of the buttons in the navigation group means they are difficult to tell apart by feel alone (The K3 is best here.);
- the menus are in a new font. The size is about the same but the lines are thinner and so harder to read;
- despite the spec. saying that they are the same size, the active area of the screen seems slightly smaller due to the platic surround.
I wasn't able to compare picture quality.
The K3's button layout seems slightly better than both K30 and K-S2, except that the, order of the buttons in the navigation group is different from the K30. (It is in fact more like the earlier K-r.) Why do they keep moving them around?
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Kea828
Kea828
Posted 19/05/2015 - 22:43
Link
lennythelion wrote:
I tried one in Jessops, tbh I found it less ergonomically satisfying than my k30.
Hth
Thanks for the feedback.
I tried one in Jessops, tbh I found it less ergonomically satisfying than my k30.
Hth
Posted 20/05/2015 - 09:51
Link
kea828 wrote:
I hope this helps.
Big help, thanks. I hope this helps.
I'm now weighing up the K-S2 with the secondhand K3. But also another option that just came onto the market Monday that may simplify my whole setup. So decided not to rush into this like i normally do. I have two cameras i can use for now. Plus if i dither for a bit the K-S2 and the other camera may have taken a drop in price from their RRP.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


567 posts
16 years
Berlin
i haven't used it much, but so far i am very impressed, i dont know what camera you were shooting with, but that's probably the most important aspect of it - i had the K30 and i dont feel lost at all with the KS-2. It does feel a little bigger, but the buttons are in the same place.
it has a nice grip and the results of the few pics i've taken are one step above the K30 - last night i took some pics in super difficult at dusk, pre-storm, it was pretty dark and i expected the camera to struggle, but no, the dynamic range was impressive.
there are loads of new things that i really wanted, such as articulated screen, wifi (so remote control with phone, very useful!), and external mic input.
in other words you can't go wrong with this camera. I bought the body only on amazon.fr at steal price -
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Pentax 16-85mm, Pentax DA 20-40 ltd
Pentax 21mm f3.2 ltd, Sigma 24mm f2.8 macro, Pentax 28mm f2.8, Pentax 35mm f2.8 macro, Pentax 43mm f1.9 LTD, Pentax 50mm FA f1.7, Pentax A 50mm f1.7, Pentax K 55mm f1.8, Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4
Metz 36 AF-4