techno-terminator

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 18:49
I'll admit that the new very red 'Add Comment ' button is a HUGE improvement

Other than that - I still am not coping with the large areas of white
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

PeterKR

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 19:30
A bit of 'spell checking' needed ...Quote from below :- 'Recieve Notifications '

Note:

"i before e except after c"
Last Edited by PeterKR on 06/11/2014 - 19:31

gartmore

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 19:32
Well done, David. A huge improvement with clean lines and so easy to read!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

davem

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 20:10
gartmore wrote:
Well done, David. A huge improvement with clean lines and so easy to read!

I agree that the site is generally cleaner and easier to read. Unfortunately as I said before the background is too white and I find it very uncomfortable to read.

Dave

davidburleson

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 20:37
Thank you everyone for all the feedback! davem, I'm not singling your comment out, simply using it as an example of what a few users have a similar view on.

Quote:
Unfortunately as I said before the background is too white and I find it very uncomfortable to read.

I find this a little bit baffling. The main reason is because pretty much all the top sites on the internet use white as the background colour to place text on. Look at Google, Youtube, facebook, Yahoo, bing, msn and Wikipedia for example. All these sites have a primarily white backgrounds with dark text for their main content. These guys employ teams of people who's main job is usability and design.

So, i'm trying to understand why it's an issue here. Part of me thinks the reason may be down to the fact that the previous design placed most text on a grey background. It was also overall a bolder and darker design. A lot of darker greys and blacks with strong reds scattered everywhere. This design is probably the complete opposite with it's light, minimal design which is intended to get out of the way and thus feature content that matters on the page.

I'll be honest, when we first drew up this design, it took me a few days to get used to the change as it's so much different than the previous.

We've had a play with some off-white colours in the office to see if there was a good alternative and unfortunately we aren't really finding a colour that looks good in this setup. Most sites which have an off-white background, generally place text in white boxes on top of the off-white (it's called Card UI design).

So, what do we think it is with white on here?
Having problems? We're here to help! Contact PU Support.
Last Edited by davidburleson on 06/11/2014 - 20:41

davem

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 20:55
David

I am happy tobe used as an example

I am following this through because I feel that I am part of a community here. That is why I contribute to plus membership. I have looked at your examples and would like to make the following observations.

Some of the sites you mention are transient sites where you move through the white area quickly. Google you scan for the reference you want, on you tube you focus on the video.

On Wikipedia there is so much text across the whole screen the white does not dominate the viewing experience.

I use computers all the time at work for extracting information. I do come across this problem elsewhere but not often. To rectify the situation I have print out the material.

Dave

Marat

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 21:38
I also am struggling to look at the pages on here for too long, I find that whilst I am reading, the text starts to become blurred and I have to look away for a few moments before returning to view, I too am finding it very uncomfortable.

There is definitely something not quite right, but web design is something I know very, very little about so I can't offer up any possible suggestions to rectify the problem, all I can do is give my personal view.

I think the font, which isn't bold enough combined with the glaring white background and to much open and unused space is my main concern, to be honest it's that bright it can light up our whole lounge when viewed on my iPad.

Don't get me wrong I do like the cleaner and uncluttered pages, but maybe it's just a bit to much on the clinical side, like I said before these are only my views and that I have no understanding of web design or what goes into it, but something needs to be altered somewhere along the line.
Last Edited by Marat on 06/11/2014 - 21:44

wasleys

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 21:50
davidburleson wrote:
I find this a little bit baffling. The main reason is because pretty much all the top sites on the internet use white as the background colour to place text on. Look at Google, Youtube, facebook, Yahoo, bing, msn and Wikipedia for example. All these sites have a primarily white backgrounds with dark text for their main content. These guys employ teams of people who's main job is usability and design.

So, i'm trying to understand why it's an issue here. Part of me thinks the reason may be down to the fact that the previous design placed most text on a grey background. It was also overall a bolder and darker design. A lot of darker greys and blacks with strong reds scattered everywhere. This design is probably the complete opposite with it's light, minimal design which is intended to get out of the way and thus feature content that matters on the page.

So, what do we think it is with white on here?

David,

1. None of the sites you mention are forums. The fact that they have decided to use their designs for the purpose they are intended to be used for is no reason for you to slavishly follow them for a totally different purpose.

2. You're not using dark text.

3. By and large they do not have the vast spread of white space that you have here but break it up with different colours, for instance Facebook has blocks of white.

4. They also tend to use darker type with bold headings providing greater contrast making text easier to read and identification of headings faster.

5. As a forum, whose function is to allow ease of reading rather than searching as in Google, perhaps the nearest similarilty of function amongst those you cite is Wikipedia. This page on Wikipedia is, for me, much easier to read than your ill-conceived, washed-out design.

bforbes

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 22:43
davem wrote:

On Wikipedia there is so much text across the whole screen the white does not dominate the viewing experience.

When viewed on my 24" monitor(1920x1080), the blank white spaces down each side of the text occupy 60% of the forums window. Then you have to add on the space around the text, and I think it's too much.

I would just add the monitor is calibrated using a Spyder and has the brightness level set well down for photo editing in low ambient light.

As others have said I also think the text is not dark enough
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young
Pentax K1 K5-IIS K-01 K20D A50/2 A50/1.7 DA10-17 DA18-250 DA18-135 DA18-55 DA300 DA40 DA50-135 DA50-200 DA55-300 DA70 F35-70 DFA150-450 FA20-35 FA100 FA135 FA35 FA28 FA43 FA50 FA77 K55/1.8 M135/3.5 M200/4 M28/3.5 M28/2.8 M40/2.8 Q 01 02 MX-1 I-10 Sigma 15 24 105 180 8-16 10-20 17-35 17-50/2.8 24-70 400/5.6MF Tamron 70-200/2.8 17/3.5MF 24/2.5MF 28/2.5MF 90/2.5MF

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

judderman62

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 23:15
richandfleur wrote:

Too much white. Glare is incredible on this site now. 23" monitor, 1920 x 1080 display, sunglasses required.

The text is displayed across half the screen, with white either side. Stick some adds down the sides or something, but right now I'm off to read somewhere else sorry.

Aye that about sums it up at this time of night after having been up since 0550 and working in front of a screen all day I do indeed feel like I need sunglasses or welders goggles to stop the pain.

A choice of themes, like many, many sites offer, would be good.

also agree waaaaay too much wasted space - it's like reading a post on an ice lolly stick
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

judderman62

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 23:19
On my computer at work I have various software I use. The main booking system I use we have the screen divided into four windows.

I have all four backgrounds black with the writing in yellow on two screens and green on the other two.

I'm sure that sounds horrendous and garish but I do in fact find it VERY comfortable and easy on the eyes
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

Pentaxonian

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 23:40
High text density and white does not work.

This almost looks like it was designed for iOS 7, and it looks frankly horrible on my iPad Air
K5iis and a couple of lenses.

richandfleur

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 02:15
To answer the question, having had a quick whip around, most of those sites have at least some sections with a darker colour, but they also do have darker text.

There is a lot I like about this new design, but the charcoal grey text on white is a bit intense. Maybe I'll grow to it, but right now it tends to hurt.

I could also fit 2x Pentax User threads side by side on my 1920 wide monitor. The thread section is so narrow, I expect to allow for cross platform compatibility, that there is an awful lot of just white either side once you've come down the thread enough to clear the adverts near the top. Perhaps darkening those sections slightly would help? Also, I'm sure this could be coded in such a way as to allow smaller res browsers to scale rather than full HD monitor users to be limited to a small area in the middle of the screen?

Might just be a change from the original grey background, but right now for me at least it is quite a strain, for whatever actual reason.
Last Edited by richandfleur on 07/11/2014 - 02:18

Steep

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 08:09
I find viewing images on a white background more difficult, they can be overwhelmed by it, particularly if there's loads of white surrounding.

If content is what a site is about then you should set up the site to make viewing the content easier? It may be just a personal thing but I've never been fond of white backgrounds on any site. The BBC did something similar when they redesigned their news site a while ago and the most complaints made were about too much empty white. They partly solved it by filling the screen more with the text and images.

Algernon

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 08:37
I think the grey text is the main problem. Not the white background.
Body text should be black. The footers can be grey.

I gave up trying to read richandfleur's post above halfway through, my eye's
started to ache.

This site although not a forum has a similar layout and colour and the white
isn't a problem.....

http://www.totalrl.com/category/super-league/

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.