New Pentax User Redesign Screenshots

davidburleson

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 15:32
It's based off the visitors to Pentax User.
Having problems? We're here to help! Contact PU Support.

RussV

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 15:34
IMO the Gallery is better but the in text forums there's too much horizontal space between headings-sub-headings which are also a bit indistinct, maybe needing a darker shade of red.

I'd put the By and in fields on the same line which will give more text in one screenful without reducing clarity,

Overall it's an improvement though, the old format was looking a bit tired and dated.
www.russv.me.uk
Last Edited by RussV on 05/11/2014 - 15:35

techno-terminator

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 15:34
There's an awful lot of white showing on my 13 ins MPB Screen - it's almost dazzling !

And it's not my screen dazzling me as I have it set so I~ just ~ get your 16 shades at the bottom
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Marat

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 15:47
I don't know, both on my PC and iPads it's awful, but on my phone it's great, there us just to much dead space and to much scrolling.

On a plus note the text is very clear, but I can feel it's going to end up giving me a headache if I stare at it for to long.

Bring back the old site, but maybe it will grow on me, but going to have to turn the brightness down a bit.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 15:54
Rather like the redesign. Looks light, bright, clean and spacious to me. One question though: have just been trying to post a number of images to a new "your photos" thread, but when I click "add image" nothing happens. I'm pretty sure the photos in question are the right size (1000 pixels max long side, 72dpi), and haven't had this problem before. Any idea what it might be?

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Facebook

GlynM

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 15:57
RussV wrote:
IMO the Gallery is better but the in text forums there's too much horizontal space between headings-sub-headings which are also a bit indistinct...

I have to agree. I am finding I have to do a lot more scrolling to get around the Forum home screen. I am sure I used to get the whole forum home page on my screen.

When in a forum and then hitting the "mark all as read" button doing a "back" used to get me to the forum home page. It now needs two presses of the back button to achieve this.

Glyn

P.S. I am using two 1080 x 1920 (Full HD) 24" monitors.
Last Edited by GlynM on 05/11/2014 - 15:58

RussV

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 16:04
I'm losing the ends of text lines on my browser (IE Eight) under adverts . Tried to insert screen dump but that didn't get further than browsing and selecting file.
Edit.
Also number eight character displays as a smiley
www.russv.me.uk
Last Edited by RussV on 05/11/2014 - 16:07

davidburleson

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 16:48
thingsthatihaveseen wrote:
Rather like the redesign. Looks light, bright, clean and spacious to me. One question though: have just been trying to post a number of images to a new "your photos" thread, but when I click "add image" nothing happens. I'm pretty sure the photos in question are the right size (1000 pixels max long side, 72dpi), and haven't had this problem before. Any idea what it might be?

Best

The upload issue should be resolved now. We always get a few hiccups during these kind of things.

Quote:
I'm losing the ends of text lines on my browser (IE Eight) under adverts . Tried to insert screen dump but that didn't get further than browsing and selecting file.

We've added a few more fixes for IE8. Can you refresh and see if it has resolved the problem. If not, please check that IE8 isn't in compatabiliy mode. It often breaks things.
Having problems? We're here to help! Contact PU Support.

ears

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 17:14
It looks nice but sometimes things that look nice aren't necessarily easier to use or see.

The major irritation for me is the amount of space given over on the right hand side to advertisements. It makes, for instance, the photos in the your photos forum, very small.
K30; DA35 2.4; DA50 1.8; A35-105 3.5; Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DL; M 80-200 F4; 18-55 WR Kit; Sigma 24-70 2.8

JohnX

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 17:21
davidburleson wrote:
JohnX wrote:
I'm finding that the text and photos in some of the posts are running under the ads down the right hand side of my screen. Look at this example; https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/a-trio-of-limiteds-51682

That problem should be resolved now.

Quote:
Also, on my 24" monitor the screen is white background from edge to edge with the text in the middle; the menu bar is also edge to edge.

We are aware of this. It's actually something we want to improve in the next phases of development in which we make the site friendly for all screen sizes including smartphones and tablets. We will be looking to making the 'site' space larger on larger screens while condensing it to fit and flow better on smaller screens.

If you don't mind me asking. Those of you with 24" monitors, what screen resolution are you using? Our statistics show that the majority of our visits are from users with 1280px or less wide screens in which the new design fits snuggly within with very minimal margin to the left and right.

I'm running at 1920x1080

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 17:29
davidburleson wrote:
thingsthatihaveseen wrote:

Best

The upload issue should be resolved now. We always get a few hiccups during these kind of things.

Thanks David... all sorted now.

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Facebook

davem

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 18:42
I am sorry but the white is too much. I am finding that it is hard to read the site in comfort . I have had detached retina issues and this creates floaters. On white screens they appear as a curtain to peer through. On slightly duller backgrounds I have no problems.
Dave.

wasleys

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 19:33
As predicted, Too much white space leading to glare, need for scrolling and so slower reading.

InFESTation

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 19:51
davidburleson wrote:

We are aware of this. It's actually something we want to improve in the next phases of development in which we make the site friendly for all screen sizes including smartphones and tablets. We will be looking to making the 'site' space larger on larger screens while condensing it to fit and flow better on smaller screens.

If you don't mind me asking. Those of you with 24" monitors, what screen resolution are you using? Our statistics show that the majority of our visits are from users with 1280px or less wide screens in which the new design fits snuggly within with very minimal margin to the left and right.

I am on a 11" laptop at the minute 1366x768 and it is not a pleasant site to navigate now, alot of scrolling and not a lot of text visible in screen as such, for the topics I am maybe just over 1/2 width used and after the first 3 posts on the page it is just white space.

When home it will be a 1920x1200 and whilst will give me more real estate I feel it will be still frustrating.

On a positive I like the fixed link bar at the top.
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

Steep

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 21:40
I also think the white is too bright and there's too much of it, on a 24" screen it's blinding. I'm sure there are others who like it though so would it be possible to have a choice of background colour? my own preference would be 18% grey or maybe a bit lighter and make the text areas auto size to fit the screen?

/edit to answer Dave Burlson 1920x1200 here.
Last Edited by Steep on 05/11/2014 - 21:41
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.