New member pondering a new Pentax camera?

ReverendRobert

Link Posted 27/02/2016 - 17:56
Greetings to you all as a Canuck currently living in Pennsylvania USA.
I have been of fan of Pentax cameras since the ME Super! Through the years I have picked up others such as Ist DS as well as the K10D, the Q and the K-01.
Looking now for a new Pentax any ideas? K3 or K3II? Wait for the K1?
Funds are an issue for me so I need to take that into account.
Any assistance would be most welcome.
RevRobert

stu62

Link Posted 27/02/2016 - 18:52
welcome rev

i would think the almighty will guide you in the right direction (joking aside)

the k3 and k3iiare totally diferant beast to the likes of the k10
and the k1 is a differen animal again
dont get me wrong it is nice to hold ver fast at focusing in and even when panning she still seemed to focus in well and that was through a shop window
yes there is some tweeks to do on the k1 as the firm wear is not finished on it yet i think it may well be the lx equivalntof the dsl world

smudge

Link Posted 27/02/2016 - 19:09
Welcome to the forum. Your choice may depend partly on what lenses you already have. If you already own a number of full frame lenses then it may be worth waiting for the K1 to use them as intended. If not then the K3II is unlikely to disappoint.
Regards, Philip

AndrewA

Link Posted 27/02/2016 - 19:12
Welcome to the Forum! Why not start off with a K3 and see how you go? The K3 is a really great camera and if you like it, which you will, you can always buy more Pentax goodies
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

davidstorm

Link Posted 27/02/2016 - 19:34
K-3's are great value at the moment, I would highly recommend. I haven't used a K-3ii but it will also be superb, if just a little more expensive. I think the K-3 route would be the way to go if you are limited on funds, then as Andrew suggests you could upgrade later to a K-1 once prices have dropped.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 27/02/2016 - 19:34

ReverendRobert

Link Posted 27/02/2016 - 19:50
Thanks for the warm welcome.
Sadly we had no courses in seminary on Pentax or the fact that I would develop LBA ...lens buying addiction. : o

My lens collection is the following:
Pentax SMC DA 18-55 (came with the camera) and SMC DA 18-55 DA II, Pentax SMC DA 50-200, Pentax SMC FA 50 1:1.4, Sigma 135-400 APO, Tamron SP Di AF 90mm Macro 1:1 and finally SMC DA Pentax 12-24 Wide angle. This is the reason why I would like to stay with Pentax because of the money invested into all these different lenses.

I was debating the K3 or the K3II but not having a flash on the camera with the K3II might limit one?

I tend to shoot sporting events indoors and outdoors, architecture indoors and outdoors, nature, portrait (hoping to learn to do 1930's-40's era).

Better if I had put this info in the first post.

JAK

Link Posted 27/02/2016 - 19:54
Don't dismiss a K-5 or K-5ii as some prefer those to the K-3 and they are quite reasonable now. Quite a few users here have both a K-5 and a K-3 and will no doubt be adding a K-1 at the first opportunity.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 27/02/2016 - 19:55

stu62

Link Posted 27/02/2016 - 19:57
the k3ii is more than capable in low light i have found

davidstorm

Link Posted 27/02/2016 - 21:08
stu62 wrote:

Both the K-3 and the K-5iis are very good in low light. The original K-5 is not so good, but this is nothing to do with the sensor. The AF on the original K-5 cannot cope in low light, so if you are considering a K-5, make sure it's a K-5ii or a K-5iis.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 28/02/2016 - 12:39
I have the K3 and KS2 both are good ks2 is easier to get used to and for general walk about or travel photography.
K3 is much more of a serious camera and I like the option of the pop up flash. It and the KS2 are fine in low light situations.
I personally wouldn't consider moving to the k3 ii as it's not much of an upgrade for too much money and loses the flash which I use.
I am not sold on the need for me to go full frame and I don't think spending all that money with ghee intention of using 20 year old glass is really that sensible.
K1 is fine if you have lots of money to buy the new full frame lenses but until it's proven and the price drops by at least 30% I won't be going near it.
Cheers,

Bruce
Last Edited by BruceStrachan on 28/02/2016 - 12:39

MrB

Link Posted 28/02/2016 - 12:57
davidstorm wrote:

Both the K-3 and the K-5iis are very good in low light. The original K-5 is not so good, but this is nothing to do with the sensor. The AF on the original K-5 cannot cope in low light, so if you are considering a K-5, make sure it's a K-5ii or a K-5iis.

Regards
David

+1

.....and, if funds are limited, you should give very serious consideration to the K-5IIs - a superb camera - and look out for a good used one, from any source that will give you a good warranty.

Cheers.
Philip

jambodog6a

Link Posted 28/02/2016 - 13:32
Welcome

If funds are limited like most of us as Mr B said, try secondhand, in England we have K511 from 250-300
I have a K5 and a K511 and I keep 300 mm lens on one and the 50x135 on the other
Most shops give you some guarantee
Hope you find what you're looking for

Stan J

stu62

Link Posted 28/02/2016 - 17:09
davidstorm wrote:
stu62 wrote:

Regards
David

i think the rev was refering to the k3ii not having a built in flash david

ReverendRobert

Link Posted 29/02/2016 - 20:33
KS2 vs K3?
Is there a big difference in these cameras?
Internet reviews have pros and cons for both, battery power, KS2 lens a hassle, etc.
The purchase price seems to be close from what I found on the internet.
Any thoughts one or the other?
I am hoping to use my next "new" Pentax for many years.
Again thanks for the assistance.

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 29/02/2016 - 20:48
ReverendRobert wrote:
KS2 vs K3?
Is there a big difference in these cameras?
Internet reviews have pros and cons for both, battery power, KS2 lens a hassle, etc.
The purchase price seems to be close from what I found on the internet.
Any thoughts one or the other?
I am hoping to use my next "new" Pentax for many years.
Again thanks for the assistance.

If I had to choose between them I'd take the K3.
Its more substantial just a bit better in low light but quicker auto focusing.
Ok it's a bit bigger and heavier but overall worth the extra weight it has a top display and you can get a battery grip for k3.
K3.
Cheers,

Bruce
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.