New member pondering a new Pentax camera?

jemx99

Link Posted 12/04/2016 - 13:31
microlight2010 wrote:
Speaking of which, it never occurred to me that the lack of a physical SR switch could have been intentionally something to do with the setting of this function in the user modes.

I have set user modes up but never use them because I forget the parameters I've used!

Grodgeman

Link Posted 29/03/2017 - 10:30
K-50 & zoom 18-270.
Nothing more.

PeterKR

Link Posted 29/03/2017 - 13:41
Grodgeman wrote:
K-50 & zoom 18-270.
Nothing more.

And if you can find one still at the pre-increase price the Sigma 18-300mm is an even better 'do everything' choice.

I have the Sigma 18-250mm and it is a great lens on my K50 (and now K70) but reviews of the 18-300 look even better (and it goes longer)

Peter

pschlute

Link Posted 18/05/2017 - 20:16
The reasoning is that anyone buying a serious camera like the K3, if they are going to use flash will be using a more powerful and more flexible dedicated flash unit either on the hot shoe or mounted off camera.

I have the K1 which also has no built in flash, and I cannot say I miss it.
Peter

My Flickr page

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 18/05/2017 - 21:03
pschlute wrote:
The reasoning is that anyone buying a serious camera like the K3, if they are going to use flash will be using a more powerful and more flexible dedicated flash unit either on the hot shoe or mounted off camera.

I have the K1 which also has no built in flash, and I cannot say I miss it.

I have a K3 and K1:-
The built in flash has two functions you might find useful - 1}use as a remote trigger for off camera flash 2) as an "always availble" fill light- if I use the latter, I normally dial in -2ev of flash compensation
Everything Changes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/

richandfleur

Link Posted 18/05/2017 - 22:19
microlight2010 wrote:

the lack of a physical SR switch could have been intentionally something to do with the setting of this function in the user modes.

Yeah there really pros and cons to the button vs switch debate.

The user modes can be much more powerful if buttons are used to change the settings in software. Things like user mode 1 has SR off and tracking expanded area AF, and user mode 2 has SR on, centre point AF, AV mode, ISO capped at 1,600 etc can't be achieved if they rely on a switch being physically moved to a new position.

I must look further into this. As I recall the user modes can be named, which will make recalling these much easier.

The reality is though that the above settings could be provided in a 'Scene Mode' and would achieve the same results. As you require more flexibility you will need more control, but one shouldn't look at the scene modes as being completely 'beginner', when you may be recreating the exact same settings in a custom user mode anyway.

idontcare

Link Posted 19/05/2017 - 20:01
I would recommend the K-3 if you don't need gps or astro tracking, less features to fail, also you keep your built in flash. The pixel shift image quality difference between the K-3ii, k-70, K-1 and KP is less on the more recent models as the image processing is better and pixel shift doesn't need to correct as much.

If you can wait one or two months (give or take) the Pentax K-3 (version 3) is slated to be revealed. Rumored to be a more robust, faster version of the KP. Even if you don't want the new K-3, the price on an original K-3 will drop further once the new K-3 is revealed.

A word to the wise on purchasing a new or second hand K-3ii is to check the GPS unit as there was a voluntary recall on the K-3ii and not all of them got the repair. Hence the term Voluntary and at your cost repair.

The Pentax KP is a good alternative but it's on the rather expensive side and its flash is small and rather harsh. However in the KP you do get several of the K-1 features. The KP is 2.3 frames per second slower than the K-3 in photos. It's a trade off i am not particularly comfortable with especially with Pentax's limited AF abilities. The extra 2 fps could mean the best image moment especially if it's between movements of your hands.

There are other options like the K-70, K-30 or 50 Which are all good, however 24 megapixels is one of the best resolutions even today in either aps-c or full frame cameras no matter which brand.
Last Edited by idontcare on 19/05/2017 - 20:30

wvbarnes

Link Posted 20/05/2017 - 16:52
To the original poster, I recommend a K3II.

I've recently replaced my well used K3. It has all the build quality, quieter shutter, better sensor clean, sockets, twin card slots etc of the K3. It, in my experience to date, autofocuses better (AFC actually works), many more keepers including birds in flight, has a stop more shake reduction, seems to be less grainy at high ISO and goes very well with the very responsive 55 - 300mm PLM lens. See my gallery on here for examples.

My only criticism is the recent 150 price hike, which may not affect you depending on where you are buying.
Bill
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.