New look forum

bforbes

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 09:21
Same here on Chrome
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young
Pentax K1 K5-IIS K-01 K20D A50/2 A50/1.7 DA10-17 DA18-250 DA18-135 DA18-55 DA300 DA40 DA50-135 DA50-200 DA55-300 DA70 F35-70 DFA150-450 FA20-35 FA100 FA135 FA35 FA28 FA43 FA50 FA77 K55/1.8 M135/3.5 M200/4 M28/3.5 M28/2.8 M40/2.8 Q 01 02 MX-1 I-10 Sigma 15 24 105 180 8-16 10-20 17-35 17-50/2.8 24-70 400/5.6MF Tamron 70-200/2.8 17/3.5MF 24/2.5MF 28/2.5MF 90/2.5MF

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

MrB

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 09:46
RayB wrote:
I hope someone can address the issue with the "back" button not working - at least two of us are having problems and PU is the common denominator.

+1

PU is the only web site I have yet come across where this happens, and it should not be necessary to change browser for a function as basic as this.

Cheers.
Philip

MattMatic

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 09:59
Quote:
Thats correct. Some 'session' information will be hanging around for many users. Hitting Apply Filter will correct the problem and the gallery will look much much nicer.

But it's not persistent

I hit apply and all is well. Restart the browser and I'm back to 16.
Have you got a default of 16 lurking in your code that should be 20
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

davidburleson

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 10:27
MrB wrote:

+1

PU is the only web site I have yet come across where this happens, and it should not be necessary to change browser for a function as basic as this.

Cheers.
Philip

What browser and version are you using?
Having problems? We're here to help! Contact PU Support.
Last Edited by davidburleson on 07/11/2014 - 10:29

wvbarnes

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 10:38
Hi all,

I use Firefox and the back button is greyed out if you go straight to a page (such as from an update email link) as there is (obviously) no previous page to browse back to. Once you have navigated around the reast of the site it serves its function fine so seems to be OK

MrB

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 11:07
davidburleson wrote:

Hello David.

I've used Opera for Windows for many years, and now the latest version:

About Opera
Version information
Version 12.17
Build 1863
Platform Win32
System Windows 7

Cheers.
Philip

davidburleson

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 11:16
MrB wrote:
davidburleson wrote:

Hello David.

I've used Opera for Windows for many years, and now the latest version:

About Opera
Version information
Version 12.17
Build 1863
Platform Win32
System Windows 7

Cheers.
Philip

I can confirm that the back button works on the latest version of Opera (version 25). version 12 was released in 2011 so quite alot has happened to it since then. I STRONGLY recommend that you update opera to the latest version:

http://www.opera.com/
Having problems? We're here to help! Contact PU Support.

Algernon

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 11:19
No problems with Firefox 33.0.2 and the back button, but I wouldn't be surprised if Firefox had messed that up, because they like to fix things that don't need fixing.

I've installed the Classic Theme Restorer Add-On which re-fixes a lot of the fixes that shouldn't have been fixed in the first place

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

MrB

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 13:10
davidburleson wrote:

I can confirm that the back button works on the latest version of Opera (version 25). version 12 was released in 2011 so quite alot has happened to it since then. I STRONGLY recommend that you update opera to the latest version:

http://www.opera.com/

Thank you for that info, David. When I click on its Check for Updates button, it tells me I'm using the latest version, so I hadn't realised it was so old!

Cheers.
Philip

OldTaffy

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 15:25
I think that I will get used to the new style, but count me among those who would like more contrast with the text. Black on white, or at least a darker gray.

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

DoctorJeff

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 16:44
David Burleson wrote:
Quote:
I can confirm that the back button works on the latest version of Opera (version 25). version 12 was released in 2011 so quite a lot has happened to it since then. I STRONGLY recommend that you update opera to the latest version:

Sorry David - it is the job of the developer to produce a website that works, NOT to tell people what to use. There are very few people who will change computers or software just because there is a new version.
There are very few websites that my equipment cannot handle. So why should I change for one bad product? The new website does not work well on my iMac (there are no scroll bars, so I cannot even read a whole page, and the same thing happens with Firefox. It also happens with Firefox on my IBM Thinkpad (14").
Just like MrB, Opera on my 64bit Win 7 machine tells me that I have the latest version (12.something)
Moving the menu bar in from the fully right justified position has made it a bit more usable for the left handed - but if it had been in the centre it would have been the best position for RH and LH alike.
Verdana is not the best font at any time ( it came third for readability in one survey I know of) whereas Tahoma (the winner) looks a bit darker as a block of text, and much better in black (wow, better contrast).

The excess of white space is perhaps the second worst mistake from a useability viewpoint.
To the human visual system, brighter equals nearer - the extra brightness of the mass of white space will cause a lot of folk to draw away from the screen, and the pale grey font is now even harder to read.
Also, the human visual system uses a complex network of cells in each eye to detect the start and finish of a line, whether the line is straight or curved, and this network relies on a good degree of contrast. It does not matter a lot whether this is luminance contrast or colour contrast - what does matter is that the contrast is there. If you stop and think for a moment, you may realise that straight and curved lines are what letters are made up from.

However that is not the worst. What no designer has any control over is the ambient lighting where any computer is being used. In a well lit room, the pale grey may well be almost invisible, but with much lower ambient lighting it may well be readable (I used to demonstrate this in a lecture theatre where I had total control of the room lighting).

I used to cite the Pentax User and notably the forums as an example of how a good forum should work - no longer.

Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...

johnriley

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 17:26
Updating the browser is advisable for all sorts of reasons though Geoff, first and foremost security. Newer versions plug holes in the defences, so I would always update as new versions became available, hardware permitting.
Best regards, John

techno-terminator

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 19:20
I'll back DoctorJeff

My Safari is completely up to date but

DoctorJeff says
Quote:
The new website does not work well on my iMac (there are no scroll bars, so I cannot even read a whole page, and the same thing happens with Firefox.

I hadn't spotted the lack of scroll bar till he mentioned it.

Quote:
The excess of white space is perhaps the second worst mistake from a useability viewpoint.

For me , actually it's horrific - and could well drive me away - I suffer from glare and this huge amount of white space is really giving me problems - my right eye feels really odd and stressed by this.

As I have said earlier - the big red Add Comment button is a great improvement
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

jeallen01

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 21:03
l second Techno-terminator - it's horrible on Opera which automatically updates on my Asus Fonepad - too much white space and poor font legibility because it's too small and faint. Very difficult to navigate and to read
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 07/11/2014 - 21:04

techno-terminator

Link Posted 07/11/2014 - 23:04
This is what I see

">[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41/Anhelyna/ForPUF_zpsbe1fc99c.jpg" class="comment_image" />
" class="comment_image" />

let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.