New look forum

johnriley

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 22:39
The Gallery problem has been reported, so it should be sorted soon.
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 22:44
DoctorJeff wrote:
davidstorm wrote:
I'm going against the flow here and I think it looks just fine. I think Algi should update his monitor - 1024 * 768 on a 19" monitor is a bit 'yesteryear' to say the least!! Full HD monitors are pretty cheap nowadays and on my 1920 * 1080 laptop screen the new layout works a treat. For me it is much more modern, cleaner and easier to read, I have no issues with the white space.

Sorry, David, I'm with Algi on this one - 1024 x 768 is all that my tired old eyes can handle (on a 22" monitor).
Light grey type on a white background is a novice mistake (in HCI terms) and the list of sub-heads if you click on the Forum item on the menu is not only hard to follow, but hard to negotiate.
A triumph of style over function.

Geoff

You don't have to run at 1024 * 768 to get larger text on a big screen, you can just increase the zoom or the font size if it's too small to read. The issues some are having with bright whites or text that is hard to read on certain backgrounds should really be a no-brainer to quickly adjust, this should be a case of the site administrators making some simple changes to the templates, I would imagine this is a 'configuration' rather than a 'code change'. I have some knowledge and experience of similar things, if it's any more than a simple configuration change to amend these things then there's something wrong.

I don't think we should over-react to the changes that have been made; there is always an evolution of such things and a bedding in period. There is also a consideration that needs to be made of how browser technologies move. IE8 for example is only available on PC's running Windows XP; this browser and OS is no longer supported by Microsoft (since April 2014) and it makes no sense for developers to have to continue to support older and older technologies and make everything backwards compatible. There has to come a point when things move on and we will all have a period of adjustment to the changes, as will the site developers and administrators as they will no doubt react to the feedback and fix the gremlins. If all software was only ever released in a 'perfect finished state', we would never have any software (just ask Microsoft).

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Last Edited by davidstorm on 05/11/2014 - 22:45

autumnlight

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 22:52
richandfleur wrote:
Can we have a user definable option to select the background colour please?

Black would be a great background for the gallery pictures, i find everything else just fine, much more modern
Kind regards Maria

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maria-Gray-photography/589310071158079?ref=hl

ronniemac

Link Posted 05/11/2014 - 23:52
I had hoped it would have run a parallel version for mobile devices so no improvement there yet. Yes, I know it's being planned. On my Nokia 1020 scrolling is not smooth, perhaps you should try it out. After a few minutes the scrolling does flow better. It is also worth mentioning that energy saving technology in newer phones save power by effectively zero consumption for black space whereas white uses full power. Pity that was not considered, it's a bit of a bummer if it runs down batteries unnecessarily.

I know it's early days and I might get round to liking it, but I find the amount of white space unpleasant as well as tiresome on the eye. A few like this, but as mentioned by others, the space between text is irritating because it requires far more scrolling than is necessary - meaning its ergonomically poor.

Big images are good, but so far I have not found any that fill the screen - unlike in your competitors websites. I will keep looking.

I'm sure others will disagree, but my opinion is that if you want to know what style to use in a photographers website look no further than DPREVIEW. It is also functionally far superior to both this rehash and what preceded it. Are you familiar with how images there open and can be enlarged? The g.u.i. is also customize-able, but I guess they are on a far better budget - unless of course this is effectively subsidized by ephotozine. Are we stuck with a US spelling correcter; perhaps that is determined by the web browser.

I will work harder in trying to like this site, but if I don't take to it, I won't be paying any future subscriptions, and right now its not looking good.

This has been a long wait for a big disappointment, but thanks for your efforts.
Last Edited by ronniemac on 05/11/2014 - 23:55

richandfleur

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 02:25
I can't handle DPreviews threaded layout concept though, and find myself often lost and reverting to a standard flow view like here. But yes there are bits to learn from many different locations. I like the new layout here, it's quite modern and follows many forums lately with regards to the present in vogue styles.

Jimd

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 06:30
Not a move for the better in my opinion. Bland

MrB

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 06:55
I find a light colour or white text on a dark grey background is much more comfortable on the eyes. A dark background also gives photos a pleasant projected image appearance. For me, an exemplar for the presentation of a photo web site and forum is Cambridge in Colour. Just my opinions, of course.

Cheers.
Philip

redbusa99

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 09:06
made a change to my profile settings but the change will not save ,another glitch to sort out perhaps. getting use to the new look slowly but it is a bit on the bright side.
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr
Last Edited by redbusa99 on 06/11/2014 - 09:07

davidburleson

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 10:06
redbusa99 wrote:
made a change to my profile settings but the change will not save ,another glitch to sort out perhaps. getting use to the new look slowly but it is a bit on the bright side.

Thats fixed now.
Having problems? We're here to help! Contact PU Support.

Teaka53

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 10:12
The upload is now working fine
Malc

wvbarnes

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 10:18
Just tried the gallery and yes working fine. I have a high enough quality IPS monitor so white doesn't glare. Many use cheap mobile screens though for much of their viewing. I would have preferred more contrast in the text shade though.

What is needed most is more direct content from Ricoh on their Pentax plans as it happens. What happened to the Pentax rep answering questions for example?

Algernon

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 10:44
davidstorm wrote:
I'm going against the flow here and I think it looks just fine. I think Algi should update his monitor - 1024 * 768 on a 19" monitor is a bit 'yesteryear' to say the least!! Full HD monitors are pretty cheap nowadays and on my 1920 * 1080 laptop screen the new layout works a treat. For me it is much more modern, cleaner and easier to read, I have no issues with the white space.

However, the biggest gain I have noticed is not on the Forum, but in the Gallery. Finally, my images are looking more akin to how they look in their original state on my PC!! In particular the 'larger' view on the gallery is great, the images have greater clarity, more punch, contrast and detail than they did previously. This has puzzled me a little as it implies that the uploaded images must be stored somewhere in their uncompressed form as otherwise surely they would look the same as they did on the old Gallery? Has anyone else noticed this quality improvement in the Gallery images?

I would be interested in what the site administrators / mods can advise on this point, but whatever the reason it is a most welcome change.

Regards
David

Why would you want a Full HD monitor to look at 800 wide photos If you could buy one an 800x800 would be perfect..... every photo would fill the screen not just a quarter of it. 1024x768 is a compromise. A lot of sites allow 1000w so that just about fills the screen. This PC is only used for the internet and I like to sit comfortably in a rocking arm chair 1000mm away with a trackball mouse and small wireless keyboard. I think the native resolution is 1280w but it's one of very few monitors that work well at other resolutions. I bought the monitor about 6 years ago because I liked the look of it and the adjustments available. This one......
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_971p.htm

"This has puzzled me a little as it implies that the uploaded images must be stored somewhere in their uncompressed form"

How long have you been using this site Images only get reduced in size when they reach your PC ...... down from whatever to 800 wide or high.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 06/11/2014 - 10:50

Gwyn

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 10:52
I like it. It was a shock at first, but I like it.

RayB

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 11:33
The "back" button on my browser has ceased to function - it is only on PU, works fine everywhere else. Using Opera on Win7. Other than that, it looks nice, but a bit too white for me - maybe a less intense shade or break it up a bit?

walkeja

Link Posted 06/11/2014 - 11:46
I like it as well. Again, thought I had gone to the wrong site, wondered what had happened to my "Favourites"!
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.