Another pointless thread

Hardgravity

Link Posted 03/08/2022 - 22:13
Looks like hot(ish) weather might be back next week..

...better get some more beer in seeing as there's a water shortage.

After all, we need to have something to drink..
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 03/08/2022 - 23:53
I got a trolley full of it from Sainsburys yesterday - it was really heavy to push and I needed a beer but had to drive it home! (the car, that is) (!) I don't normally buy that much but it's hot and I had a 3x Nectar points voucher.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Lubbyman

Link Posted 04/08/2022 - 13:16
Mrs L has hidden the bottle of rum. She says it's hers and needed for the Christmas cake. And all because I added a spoonful of the rum to a fruit salad...

Steve

LennyBloke

Link Posted 04/08/2022 - 13:29
Just taken delivery of a Mini Keg of Wye Valley Butty Bach for a small gathering at the weekend - first time I've used one of these, hopefully it'll taste nearly as good a pub hand-pulled pint
LennyBloke

Benz3ne

Link Posted 04/08/2022 - 20:01
LennyBloke wrote:
Just taken delivery of a Mini Keg of Wye Valley Butty Bach for a small gathering at the weekend - first time I've used one of these, hopefully it'll taste nearly as good a pub hand-pulled pint

Quite a coincidence… I’ve cracked open a bottle of this tonight.
Mwynhau e! Enjoy it!

K10D

Link Posted 05/08/2022 - 17:49
I'm working my way through one each of these:

https://www.8sailbrewery.co.uk/copy-of-beer

Picked them up a while back on my way down to Essex. Most are bottle finished. I drink at room temp.

Verdict: my pallet definitely needs re-calibrating. Some well different flavours to these. Also carry a kick.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 05/08/2022 - 22:45
Different beers are always good, whenever I'm away I try local brews to where I am.

Not had any disappointments so far.

Cheers
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 06/08/2022 - 00:17
I always ask for a taster if I don't know the brew. (Most will give you a couple of swallows worth). The reason being that a lot of pubs have this disgusting stuff that started out as good beer and then they dumped a bale of local hay in the vat and called the result 'Craft Ale'. Fizzy, flowery, fart producing stuff most of it.

OK. Now it's your turn. ....
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Lubbyman

Link Posted 06/08/2022 - 07:43
davidwozhere wrote:

OK, here we go... On a business trip to the USA about 30 years ago, a colleague and I decided to have a drink at a place that had a microbrewery which claimed to brew English-style ales. We tried one. Ice cold, fizzy and tasted nothing like real beer - in fact, it had very little taste at all. Half way through the pint, it was warming up and tasting a bit better. So we did an experiment. Hold the glass with both hands, swill round vigorously, warm it, drive out the gas. The result was perfectly decent English-sytle beer. And it had been ruined by pandering to the strange American taste (or lack of it...) for ice-cold, alcoholic fizz.

Steve

bforbes

Link Posted 06/08/2022 - 07:49
Personally I don't see the attraction of warm, flat and cloudy
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

LennyBloke

Link Posted 06/08/2022 - 09:47
bforbes wrote:
Personally I don't see the attraction of warm, flat and cloudy

...isn't that the weather forecast for today
LennyBloke

OldTaffy

Link Posted 06/08/2022 - 16:17
Lubbyman wrote:
davidwozhere wrote:

OK, here we go... On a business trip to the USA about 30 years ago, a colleague and I decided to have a drink at a place that had a microbrewery which claimed to brew English-style ales. We tried one. Ice cold, fizzy and tasted nothing like real beer - in fact, it had very little taste at all. Half way through the pint, it was warming up and tasting a bit better. So we did an experiment. Hold the glass with both hands, swill round vigorously, warm it, drive out the gas. The result was perfectly decent English-sytle beer. And it had been ruined by pandering to the strange American taste (or lack of it...) for ice-cold, alcoholic fizz.

Steve

To be fair, these beers are occasionally acceptable. Years ago I was working in 'Melbun' (Australia) and we decided to have a day trip in a hired rent-a-wreck to Echuca on the Murray River. OMG it was hot. We had a short tourist trip on a river paddleboat and at one place we passed a bunch of locals standing in the river, up to their ample bellies, drinking beer out of the tinnies.

On the way back from Echuca we stopped in some smalltown pub for a drink. I can't remember if it was a Castlemaine or Fosters beer, but it was wonderfully cold. It really did have tiny ice crystals floating when first drawn from the pump. That was all we wanted: cold, cold, cold. Taste didn't matter!

I may have rose-tinted taste buds, but I thought that Fosters was quite a nice beer down under.
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 06/08/2022 - 18:58
OldTaffy wrote:
I may have rose-tinted taste buds, but I thought that Fosters was quite a nice beer down under.

Can't argue with that. There are beers for really hot climates and beers for the traditional British climate. And there definitely are some decent beers in the USA. A bunch of us Brits on a business trip once drunk a hotel dry of Sam Adams. A decent beer among a whole lot of indistinguishable, tasteless and ice cold Buds, Coors and suchlike.

Steve

loadoftripe

Link Posted 06/08/2022 - 19:36
Lubbyman wrote:
OldTaffy wrote:

Can't argue with that. There are beers for really hot climates and beers for the traditional British climate. And there definitely are some decent beers in the USA. A bunch of us Brits on a business trip once drunk a hotel dry of Sam Adams. A decent beer among a whole lot of indistinguishable, tasteless and ice cold Buds, Coors and suchlike.

Steve

Yup I do like a hoppy beer/LPA's and the American Hops are all the rage as I understand it now, the English breweries are trying/have replicated their 'hoppy style' hop, great news for me. I have been hooked on the Shipyard LPA cans/bottles available in supermarkets...... hic.

bforbes

Link Posted 06/08/2022 - 19:48
I've just started a John Smiths Extra Smooth. Cold gassy (with a head on) and clear
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.