Another pointless thread

bforbes

Link Posted 02/03/2022 - 12:17
Hardgravity wrote:
It's a while since we had a pointless, rambling topic. One where people could say anything, as long as it's not too serious!

The last one went on for 7 pages, so here it is.

I've just stacked 2 tons of wood in our wood shed.

Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Lubbyman

Link Posted 03/03/2022 - 09:48
Not a lot going on around me that isn't serious one way or another - and I don't mean the international scene. Lots of pointlessness though. And it's all getting in the way of me playing with my loverly photographic gear.

Did manage a trip to the tip yesterday with a load of rubbish. I can now walk from one end of the garage to the other again without having to climb over anything!! Any guesses how long it will be before it's once again blocked by rubbish...?

Steve

Hardgravity

Link Posted 04/03/2022 - 09:56
Lubbyman wrote:

Did manage a trip to the tip yesterday with a load of rubbish. I can now walk from one end of the garage to the other again without having to climb over anything!! Any guesses how long it will be before it's once again blocked by rubbish...?

Steve

Everytime I clear a room/shed/garden something else appears..

It's the "I've been to the tip and it's all tidy" curse.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 04/03/2022 - 09:56

RobL

Link Posted 08/03/2022 - 11:23
My daughter has just been asked if she would like to be nominated for Woman of the Year or some such, the first question was how do identify yourself?! Her reply has probably guaranteed her name won’t be put forward. As they say in the tabloids, you couldn’t make it up!

Lubbyman

Link Posted 08/03/2022 - 13:42
I identify myself by looking in the mirror and checking that the reflection looks like the person I remember seeing for the last XXX years. Is there any other way of doing it?

Steve

womble

Link Posted 08/03/2022 - 15:18
Lubbyman wrote:
I identify myself by looking in the mirror and checking that the reflection looks like the person I remember seeing for the last XXX years. Is there any other way of doing it?

Steve

I look in the mirror and wonder who that old git is...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Lubbyman

Link Posted 08/03/2022 - 15:26
womble wrote:

I look in the mirror and wonder who that old git is...

You look in your mirror and see ME ?????

Steve

pschlute

Link Posted 08/03/2022 - 15:39
RobL wrote:
My daughter has just been asked if she would like to be nominated for Woman of the Year or some such, the first question was how do identify yourself?! Her reply has probably guaranteed her name won’t be put forward. As they say in the tabloids, you couldn’t make it up!

Don't get me started. I have been asked that twice this year. My grumpy reply is "I am a man, you decide"
Peter

My Flickr page

Hardgravity

Link Posted 20/03/2022 - 11:35
It's a Sunday morning and I tried to transfer a largish amount of cash between 2 different bank accounts at 2 different banks, but both in my name.

All done on line, then first bank stops transaction, no problem, except.

They tried calling me while I was stuck in traffic, being a good law abidding citizen I let it go to ansaphone. So far so good.

Now..
..I called the given number only to be told the anti fraud dept didn't work weekends and I'd have to call back on a DIFFERENT number in Monday.
Wasted 40 mins chasing round for no result.

Looks like Monday morning will be taken up...

HG
Cheers, HG

RobL

Link Posted 20/03/2022 - 12:00
I had a similar issue a couple of years ago after sending a cheque to pay my corporation tax to IR; the bank anti-fraud sent a text message to my mobile which I didn't pick up for a couple of days and when I called them it was too late: they had bounced it because (allegedly) they didn't have a record of my signature despite having had the account for several years. As the cheque wasn't represented or returned I phoned IR a month later only to be told I owed nothing, no record of a bounced cheque. A couple of months went by, could I get lucky? No chance, they got in touch six months later!

Lubbyman

Link Posted 20/03/2022 - 15:11
Hardgravity wrote:
only to be told the anti fraud dept didn't work weekends

Note to all fraudsters: Do it at a weekend. You'll be well away before anyone comes after you on Monday.

RobL wrote:
after sending a cheque to pay my corporation tax to IR; the bank anti-fraud sent a text message to my mobile

First time I've heard that actually paying tax can be fraudulent, I've always assumed that tax fraud involved not paying tax. I wonder whether "My bank said the tax demand was fraudulent" is a valid defence in court against a charge of not paying tax.

Steve

OldTaffy

Link Posted 20/03/2022 - 15:17
Hardgravity wrote:
It's a Sunday morning and I tried to transfer a largish amount of cash between 2 different bank accounts at 2 different banks, but both in my name.

All done on line, then first bank stops transaction, no problem, except.:

HG

I had similar experience 2 or 3 years ago when I wanted to transfer cash from my HSBC current account to an entirely different savings account. Because it was over £5k, HSBC blocked it. I needed to phone their fraud department to clear it. However, the phone number I was given did not connect to anything! I could never find out how to contact their fraud department. Secure email messages produced no result. I seem to remember that I eventually got it done by posting a cheque to the savings people.
Needless to say, I am no longer with HSBC (for various reasons).
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

bforbes

Link Posted 20/03/2022 - 15:26
I presented my credit card to pay for fuel at a garage in Canada, to have it refused. Mobile phone call to Building Society went something like, "My card has been declined." - "Oh yes, we saw it was being used abroad so rang you at home to check. We got no reply."
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Hardgravity

Link Posted 20/03/2022 - 15:27
The bank in question with me is Virgin, I was a Yorkshire bank customer for over 30 years, no problems, then they became....

and it all started!

Did the government do such fraud checks on foreign nationals wanting to invest money in UK properties?

I think not!
Cheers, HG

Last Edited by Hardgravity on 20/03/2022 - 15:27

Lubbyman

Link Posted 20/03/2022 - 20:03
The first time I got an 'Are you sure you want to do this, it could be a scam' warning was when I was making a transfer to LennyBloke for a lens. Did they know something I didn't? I took a chance...

To be fair to banks (well, somebody's got to try...), people do expect them (which means us) to foot the bill when the person concerned has their account emptied after giving their account details and password to a complete stranger who phones them and says the account is no longer secure; or when somebody transfers a large amount of money to a scam account; or (until they started matching account names) someone who's had too much to drink makes a late night money transfer to a typo.

Steve
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.