Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Another pointless thread

cardiffgareth
Posted 01/02/2022 - 09:17 Link
RobL wrote:
During an attic clear out I found loads of colour slides I thought lost, of a camping trip to Norway as a callow student in the 1970s and accompanied by a female friend. We parted ways on our return home and never saw each other again; someone said the past is another country but sometimes I wish I could find the path back.

We need to see these slides!

On my website I have a project going called 'project unknown' where I'm buying slides off a well known online auction that mainly come from house clearances, scanning and making minor adjustments, sometimes converting to black and white before then uploading them.
The idea is to save these slides from landfill as someone has held onto them for all their life and their someone's memories that I feel cannot die so I'm making it my mission to safe them!
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
OldTaffy
Posted 01/02/2022 - 16:17 Link
What a fine mission, but you are going to need a bitcoin-sized website to hold them. Just think of the tens of millions of photos that exist of, say, the Niagra Falls.
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
K10D
Posted 09/02/2022 - 12:55 Link
Warning!!

If some one gets a message from me about canned meat, DO NOT open it.

Its Spam.
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Lubbyman
Posted 09/02/2022 - 22:30 Link
Agreed - hardly worth opening if it's just Spam. Now, if it were egg and Spam; egg bacon and Spam; egg bacon sausage and Spam; Spam bacon sausage and Spam; Spam egg Spam Spam bacon and Spam; Spam sausage Spam Spam bacon Spam tomato and Spam; ... with an attachment of singing Vikings ...

Steve
RobL
Posted 10/02/2022 - 07:58 Link
My Novoflex slide copier attachment arrived yesterday so having spent a couple of hours putting my old Norway slides in order I rigged it up with an led behind. Running the first batch through the computer I thought my lens needed a clean but no, my 24 year old self was obviously a stranger to lens cloths! Each slide is taking about ten minutes to clean up digitally but require little processing otherwise, even so this is going to take rather longer than expected.
womble
Posted 10/02/2022 - 07:58 Link
I was helping teach photogrammetry earlier in the week. As a bit of fun I took in my Stereo Realist 45 camera and my viewer. I was really pleased that when I fitted the batteries the viewer still worked. I have a small box of slides that came with the viewer labelled 1957 including a cute one of some cats and some from the US military.

I'd like to get some slide mounts and the correct format (5P) are made in Germany but the only sources I have found online (so far!) are in the US and cost more to ship than to buy.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Lubbyman
Posted 10/02/2022 - 10:13 Link
Hmmm... I'm wondering whether the meaning of 'pointless' is changing... langauge being a living thing and all that...

Steve
RobL
Posted 10/02/2022 - 13:35 Link
Lubbyman wrote:
Hmmm... I'm wondering whether the meaning of 'pointless' is changing... langauge being a living thing and all that...

Steve

It’s where we post something when we can’t be bothered to start a new thread!
Edited by RobL: 10/02/2022 - 13:35
K10D
Posted 13/02/2022 - 09:12 Link
Been reading Capturing the Light by Peter Watson.

There are outcomes.

I have one pair of eyes and one pair of hands so why do I own many cameras?

Just looked at an unused Tachihara Hope 4x5 45 GF Wood Field Stand Camera Body on eBay. It would pair with a Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f/8 MC 4x5 Wide Angle Lens.

And????

So looking at the results that Peter produces on this equipment I question my approach to equipment. Have I bought equipment because the brochures did such a good job of selling it? I was, for a long time, a Pentax fan boy but a Joe average photographer. The gear mattered more than the results because it looked good and was the latest model. Sad really, but that is the way it was.

It took a lot of years and many wasted images before I started to understand what really mattered. The more I learned, the less kit I needed to use. I made do with the kit I took with me but intentionally took less. Not because of weight but less made me work more. Think of it as zooming with your feet which itself has an input that affects your output.

Peter Watson quotes "waiting times" with respect to the right light. So what does he think about while waiting? He's watching the light across a chosen scene. Does he get into "the zone"? Is he totally occupied by the moment and frequently checking exposure readings?

How often was I in such a scenario? I could not tell you because given subtle lighting changes I resorted to bracketing, something a 5x4 camera cannot do. I lack the experience and therefore skill level to do what Peter does. I do own light meters. I've used them only a few times, mainly for weddings. I can't remember the last time I used one. Its been too easy to accept that the camera metering will do the job. Just a heads up, that's only a starting point.

Reading a book about capturing the light has somewhat thrown a virtual dilemma at me. It needs dealing with, it needs to be resolved. Its obvious that the influence I feel after reading the book are only thoughts and in fact don't have to actually result or cause any change in my approach to taking images. I will take a different approach to how I shoot scenery images.

Its raining, dark and windy.
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Posted 13/02/2022 - 09:32 Link
K10D wrote:

... Its raining, dark and windy.

What a thoughtful post. I suppose that's why I decided to buy a 645Z and just a couple of primes. Time to stand still, to think - and then try to see not just look. 'Approaching Photography' by Paul Hill is such a book for me. I have no doubt that others will have their own.

Potentially an interesting thread, K10D, thanks for your post.
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
RobL
Posted 13/02/2022 - 13:34 Link
A friend of mine owned lots of cameras, film era Leica, Minox, Rollei, wooden plate, modern digital, even occasionally an iPhone, and just enjoyed using them and the process of developing the films. Not many lenses nor filters as he mainly did street photography at home in Oslo or on his frequent trips to the Lebanon. Naturally he didn’t lug them all around at the same time but just picked up whichever one he fancied or suited his purpose.
bforbes
Posted 13/02/2022 - 14:56 Link
We started off with a log pile now we are talking bloody cameras. Far too pointed by far
RobL
Posted 13/02/2022 - 16:11 Link
bforbes wrote:
We started off with a log pile now we are talking bloody cameras. Far too pointed by far

Well come on then Barrie, start the conversation!
bforbes
Posted 13/02/2022 - 17:51 Link
RobL wrote:
bforbes wrote:

Well come on then Barrie, start the conversation!

I thought I just had
Lubbyman
Posted 13/02/2022 - 19:36 Link
When Terry Jones (ex-Python) died in 2020, I bought a can of Spam to commemorate the occasion. The intention was to eat it for a meal when Mrs L. wasn't around (Spam and Mrs L. definitely do not go together). Covid and Mrs L's ailments meant that 2 years passed and the Spam was still on the shelf. But yesterday, Mrs L. went out to lunch with a friend, leaving me to fend for myself. So it was time for a Python meal: Spam, Spam, eggs, Spam, beans, Spam, eggs and Spam. Magnificent!!

How's that, Barrie??

Steve

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.