Another pointless thread

Lubbyman

Link Posted 11/09/2021 - 18:23
RobL wrote:
told me the cost and I realised I had been wildly optimistic

Sounds typical of quotes for construction work at the moment. A neighbour got a quote for a 50ft wooden fence from a local company they had used before. 2,000 for 50ft, mainly materials. That's 40 / ft. So the old fence is now propped up until the price of wood and other materials drops.

Steve

spinno

Link Posted 11/09/2021 - 21:47
Lubbyman wrote:
RobL wrote:
told me the cost and I realised I had been wildly optimistic

Sounds typical of quotes for construction work at the moment. A neighbour got a quote for a 50ft wooden fence from a local company they had used before. 2,000 for 50ft, mainly materials. That's 40 / ft. So the old fence is now propped up until the price of wood and other materials drops.

Steve

Let's hope the price falls before the fence does...
David

redbusa99

Link Posted 12/09/2021 - 10:36
A friend of mine has his own maintainence business and was on about the price he has to pay for fence panels , posts and even the postcrete have all rocketed . He is loosing work because people can't or won't pay the prices he is forced to charge due to it if he wants to make a profit
odd lens or 2

Flickr

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 13/09/2021 - 10:01
I built a pergola and the price of the wood was obscene. Where I bought the wood was a timber merchant and the postcrete price wasn't too bad but when I looked at B&Q as I was short a bag and needed more, their price was over double that of the timber merchants, also they were limiting their bags to 3 per customer, no good if you're putting fencing up or in my case a large pergola! Priced up decking to go under the pergola, I needed something like 20 lengths of 4.8m and 20 lengths of the 3.2m, plus about 10 lengths of 4x2 in 4.8m to make the subframe for the decking to lay on. All over my old patio so no postcrete. The wood alone was over 850!
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Hardgravity

Link Posted 25/09/2021 - 09:49
And the idiots are at it again!

I couldn't get into my local Morrisons supermarket car park yesterday, the panic buyers were blocking the entrances top the car park queing for petrol..

..which means that I had to go too Aldi instead and not get what I wanted!

What will these idiot drivers do in 10 years time when they have electric cars and there're power cuts?

Oh well, long live Brexit and the freedom to be complete morons...

Sorry John, this isn't meant to be or sound like a political post, just a vent.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

johnriley

Link Posted 25/09/2021 - 10:47
Thank heavens the entrance to SRS isn't blocked! Always look on the Bright Side.......
Best regards, John

Hardgravity

Link Posted 25/09/2021 - 11:50
Spot on.
Cheers, HG

HarisF1

Link Posted 25/09/2021 - 14:32
Filled the tank on Tuesday before this all blew up, I'm extremely glad I didn't procrastinate this time.
All the gear with no idea

OldTaffy

Link Posted 25/09/2021 - 15:34
HarisF1 wrote:
Filled the tank on Tuesday before this all blew up, I'm extremely glad I didn't procrastinate this time.

Ditto. I happened to be passing a Tesco, in pouring rain, when I noticed the gauge was a bit low. Lucky.

However, I do not think that everyone is 'panic buying'. It is an insulting expression to suggest everyone in a petrol queue is just panicking needlessly. If you know that you will have to make an essential long drive in a few days time, when the shortages may be worse, it is sensible forward planning to fill up while you can.
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

K10D

Link Posted 25/09/2021 - 17:46
Had to fill up yesterday as the 4x4 tank was low and as I'm travelling more & more I thought do it now. Queued for 30 mins and took 75Lts of diesel (I did pay).

Back out today to fill up both bikes and no queues!

I can't remember ever riding both bikes on the same day.....

Lubbyman

Link Posted 25/09/2021 - 19:53
Filled up on Thursday for a drive to Yorkshire on Friday. Will fill up again next Thursday for the drive back home on Friday. Buying, but not panicing. Just getting what's needed when it's needed.

Anyway, John Denver's 'Grandma's feather bed' is playing so life is good. Thank goodness there's more to life that petrol/diesel.

Steve

Hardgravity

Link Posted 25/09/2021 - 20:06
K10D wrote:

I can't remember ever riding both bikes on the same day.....

R80RT and Kawasaki 650?

I could be wrong, it could be a R100RT..but..

Nice stable
Cheers, HG

K10D

Link Posted 25/09/2021 - 20:13
Thanks, She is an R80RT, bought her new in 87 and she's done 8,500 miles (I lived abroad) and a W800 2013 SE bought new in West Australia as the rims matched the tank. UK/Euro SE models did not have this. Love em both but love Mrs K10D more for putting up with me........
Last Edited by K10D on 25/09/2021 - 20:13

Hardgravity

Link Posted 25/09/2021 - 21:11
I've a R65LS from 1983 and a slightly newer R9T Pure from 2019.
Both ought new and sharing the shed with my YamahaRD400f.

All owned from new.

Nine is the only one currently on the road.
Cheers, HG

K10D

Link Posted 26/09/2021 - 14:36
She's looker. The RD400 is most admired. I grew up on RD250's, 350's and 400's.

Then again, I've often lately been told to grow up which I now take as a complement to my attitude being younger than my years. Others may not see it that way.....
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.