Another pointless thread

OldTaffy

Link Posted 16/08/2021 - 16:20
Have any of you noticed something that has become better since the lockdowns etc?

From my own pov, the relative absence of flights in and out of Stansted has been a blessing. The airport is about 15 miles south of my village, and we used to get lots of jets lining up on one of the approach paths. The sky has been wonderfully tranquil for most of the past months. Peace in the garden, so we hear the birds singing again. A few crows, pigeons and the occasional swift overhead.

Any changes for the better that you have noticed? [Even if they may not last ]

Martin.
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 16/08/2021 - 18:42
During the first lockdown the local bypass was almost silent, nearly no vehicle noise when sitting in the garden or walking the dog round the adjacent fields. Unfortunately, the noise is back again .

On a positive note, my wife is now having weekly home deliveries from Tesco rather than me having to spend one evening a week wandering around the local store . Will it last? Who knows....

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 17/08/2021 - 23:54
If they are anything like Sainsburys, check the use by dates of perishables as the pickers simply grab the first thing that comes to hand off the shelves. We've had things expiring the same day they were delivered!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Lubbyman

Link Posted 01/09/2021 - 10:20
Has nothing pointless happened in the last 2 weeks??

I'm about to wash the car. It's covered in dust from next door's front garden having just been converted to a car park. Washing a car always seems fairly pointless to me, seeing as how it will soon be dirty again .

Steve

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 01/09/2021 - 10:47
Lubbyman wrote:
Has nothing pointless happened in the last 2 weeks??

I'm about to wash the car. It's covered in dust from next door's front garden having just been converted to a car park. Washing a car always seems fairly pointless to me, seeing as how it will soon be dirty again .

Steve

I'm with you there! I'm certain one of our neighbours has been training seagulls to poop on my car. I've warned everyone that I'm thinking of buying a Sparrow Hawk. That'll show 'em, eh?
Be well, stay well.

vic cross

Link Posted 01/09/2021 - 11:20
Your car is covered in seagull poop. Our garden furniture is home to a family of Magpies and is covered in their poop. We have regular flybys of Red Kites but they don't bother the magpies.
OH WHAT A SHITTY GARDEN.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 01/09/2021 - 13:35
vic cross wrote:
Your car is covered in seagull poop. Our garden furniture is home to a family of Magpies and is covered in their poop. We have regular flybys of Red Kites but they don't bother the magpies.
OH WHAT A SHITTY GARDEN.
CHEERS Vic.

😂
Be well, stay well.

womble

Link Posted 01/09/2021 - 15:44
I've not been thinking of things photographic much for the last month. I've been rushing up and down the same two fields doing survey. I've got another six films from Analogue Wonderland in the post, and I haven't used the last six yet!
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Hardgravity

Link Posted 05/09/2021 - 09:51
Just back from a short camping stay in North Yorks..

,,washing machine's on, awning's airing and I'm now off upstairs to sort out the sparebedroom to get it all away.

And that all follows an early delivery of groceries that Mrs HG is putting away..

Ah, good times...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 05/09/2021 - 10:07
Hardgravity wrote:
an early delivery of groceries...

Just groceries? Nothing alcoholic? Surely you've not given it up...

Steve

Hardgravity

Link Posted 08/09/2021 - 17:07
Lubbyman wrote:
Hardgravity wrote:
an early delivery of groceries...

Just groceries? Nothing alcoholic? Surely you've not given it up...

Steve

Nope, alcohol arrived today in the form of bottles of beer from Saltaire Brewery.

I can recomend Unity, New Woeld and Citra, the rest are pretty good as well...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 10/09/2021 - 19:23
Two evenings ago I dropped an SD card while putting it in a camera trap down the garden. It fell near the pond. I couldn't find it but light was failing so looked again yesterday morning. No joy, so assumed it was in the pond. Today, while putting its replacement in the camera, I saw the original on the ground near (but not in ) the pond. That card has been rained on several times while laying there - but it still works as well as it ever did. How's that for WR!

In case you're wondering, it's SanDisk Ultra.

Steve

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 10/09/2021 - 21:35
Staying with family on a short break recently, I had my first experience of an induction hob. It did not go well.

Up nice and early before anyone else I decided to treat myself to a fresh coffee from our stove-top espresso pot. The pot prepared and several minutes spent reading instructions for the hob meant I could leave the pot to heat up whilst I enjoyed some morning sunshine outside.

Returning to the hob, I had steam rising from the pot but no coffee to pour. Another perusal of the instructions and adjustment of the controls still resulted in no coffee. 'Induction hobs are bloody rubbish' I exclaimed several times, to a bemused squirrel who was looking in through the window and wondering what the stupid human was up to.

Ten minutes later I found the source of my problem: I hadn't put water into the pot. By this time the rubber gasket had perished and the kitchen smelt of, well, burnt rubber.

I opened the windows, sat outside and consoled myself with a fresh coffee from a coffee press. All before anyone else appeared.

Thankfully, I have since replaced the gasket and a good clean of the pot may mean I'll get away with no-one ever knowing about my first experience of a non-gas hob.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

vic cross

Link Posted 11/09/2021 - 00:43
2004. 65. Just retired. Had some TLC to do to the house. Kitchen. New fittings and new cooker. Needed new hob. Salesman said "have you heard of the new Induction hobs?". It is brand new technology says he. It maybe in the kitchen says I but I was using induction technology in the year 1955 as a 16 year old apprentice in the heat treatment department of the company where I served my time. So I have been using an induction hob for 17 years and never looked back. they are great.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

RobL

Link Posted 11/09/2021 - 15:19
To save myself the hassle of painting the stairs with all those fiddly spindles I invited a national joinery outfit to replace the lot with glass and oak. As soon as the posh lady came through the door my mental estimate doubled; she spent ages measuring up and told me the cost and I realised I had been wildly optimistic, luckily I was sitting down. Plan B, off to B&Q for primer and paint.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.