Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Another pointless thread

spinno
Posted 01/11/2020 - 14:23 Link
Lubbyman wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
Good news is the local brewery is brewing another batch of Red de Vloot, ready in a couple of weeks.

And the good news here is that my neighbour says the brew he has been making using my hops is now in bottles and will be ready to drink in about a week's time. During lockdown, of course, but some bottles will find their way across the garden fence without breaking any rules.

Steve

Amazing the loads a carrier pigeon can carry
David
Gwyn
Posted 01/11/2020 - 14:46 Link
I look forward to the review Steve.
Maybe make a beer gap, like a hedgehog gap?

Youngest son has done something similar with a friend who is a home brewer. Not that he had many hops, but they were mixed with some other friends grew. He may get a couple of bottles if he is lucky!
Son is hoping to move from mini house with mini garden to a farmhouse with land soon so I can see a hop garden being created when he has the time.
Hardgravity
Posted 02/11/2020 - 07:58 Link
I've given up on the home brew, for now.

I just order from my local brewery and took a delivery last week...

...which, after Bozo's latest, has taken a substantial hit already.

May have to re-order..
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Gwyn
Posted 02/11/2020 - 08:24 Link
We're doing the same HG, and youngest son supports his local brewery as well as his friends homebrewing.

Woke up in the night, well kind of woke up, and thought why is there a plane flying over us? took a while for it to register it wasn't a plane but the wind .
Gwyn
Posted 02/11/2020 - 20:58 Link
Just heard that my cousin's husband has died of Covid. SHe is ill but recovering. They live in Drighlington, so you be careful HG!
Hardgravity
Posted 04/11/2020 - 16:57 Link
I will be Gwyn.

Last day of freedom for a while spent out at Bolton Abbey, a couple of gentle walks, sunshine and space.

Tomorrow it's back to lockdown...
Cheers, HG

PPG entries.
Hardgravity
Posted 07/11/2020 - 08:13 Link
....and they're still counting...

I thought I was slow...
Cheers, HG

PPG entries.
Lubbyman
Posted 07/11/2020 - 09:46 Link
No mention of pregnant chads yet...

Steve
RobL
Posted 07/11/2020 - 12:31 Link
Does anyone else have mixed feelings about the culling of minks in Denmark? Apparently with 17 million of them in farms Denmark is the world’s largest exporter of mink furs, who knew that was still going on? A staggering number which must be crammed together in factory farms they are apparently the source of twelve Covid infections in humans, so every one of them must be killed (the minks that is, not the humans). I guess they would be killed anyway which goes against my overriding principle that every living thing has a right to its life even I f born in the wrong place, and killing even if thought necessary due to human meddling and farming practices is unsupportable.

I just hope that some idiots don’t decide to release them into the wild to cause havoc with native species, and that the Danish government bans these farms permanently before they have the chance to re-stock.
Gwyn
Posted 07/11/2020 - 12:53 Link
We have had Covid in mink farms almost since we have had Covid here, and mink to human infections too. The farms infected are cleared, the animals culled.
All mink farming here is due to end in a couple of years anyway. I would be happy if they stopped them all now.
There are mink in the wild already thanks to so called animal liberation idiots, both here in the Netherlands and in Denmark.

Recently two chimpanzees escaped at a zoo near where I used to live and they were shot and killed.
The animal liberation mob were there the next day demanding the zoo be closed permanently. It was pointed out to them that most of the animals, including the rest of the chimpanzees would be culled if that were to happen.
I have mixed feelings on zoos, but they do provide an ark for species losing out to humans in the world.

I also know a couple of the keepers at that zoo, and know how much they love and care for their animals and try to provide them with the best life they can under the circumstances. They were heart broken at losing the chimps. One of the two actually had to shoot them. Devastating.

As it happens since the zoo in question, along with all the others in NL is closed due to the new lockdown, and at least one of them is likely to fail before we are clear of Covid.
RobL
Posted 07/11/2020 - 13:44 Link
That’s awful Gwyn, I get that shooting an animal could be justified if it is actually in the act of endangering a human and there is no other option but that cannot be so otherwise. Doing so is the coward’s way of avoiding accountability if the worst happens. We know chimps can be dangerous but there have been numerous instances where animals have confounded their preconceived behaviours; think of the gorilla that carefully helped a small child who had fallen into his pit and narrowly avoided being shot as a result (the gorilla not the child).
Gwyn
Posted 07/11/2020 - 14:04 Link
These two male chimps were displaying and full of adrenaline. The zoo is surrounded by woodland and if they had made it into the trees they could have easily escaped the confines of the zoo. There were a lot of ivisotrs at the zoo that day - it was the day before they were to lockdown, and keepers struggled to get everyon into safe areas. A couple of people came very close to being attacked. They really had no choice. Darting them would have taken too ong to work if it work at all given their adrenaline levels.
AAP which is an international organisation for rescuing and rehoming primates said the zoo behaved correctly, they could not risk human life, or the apes escaping the zoo confines.
People (including many of the visitors who didn't understand why they were herded into buildings and locked in) tend not to realise just how big and powerful chimps are and how lethal they can be to humans.
RobL
Posted 07/11/2020 - 14:20 Link
What a shame, no doubt the chimps were seriously pissed off with being incarcerated.
Gwyn
Posted 07/11/2020 - 15:15 Link
They knew nothing else, both born and bred at the zoo.
They no longer breed them btw.
Edited by Gwyn: 07/11/2020 - 15:16
Hardgravity
Posted 08/11/2020 - 10:17 Link
talking of chimps, Trump's out...
Cheers, HG

PPG entries.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.