Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Another pointless thread

Gwyn
Posted 24/10/2020 - 11:31 Link
That is wonderful news Steve! Tie her to the chair if you have to, and spoil her rotten for a few days, though I'm sure you do that everyday anyway .

All the best to Mrs L for a speedy recovery!
Lubbyman
Posted 24/10/2020 - 14:10 Link
There's a voice in the corner issuing instructions...

Steve
Hardgravity
Posted 24/10/2020 - 22:44 Link
Listen and obey..

....you know it makes sense.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Hardgravity
Posted 25/10/2020 - 09:13 Link
For some reason we still mess around with clocks at this time of the year.

By moving back an hour we actualy loose 2 houirs of daylight!

It doesn't make sense in the modern era!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Gwyn
Posted 25/10/2020 - 12:15 Link
The EU wants to stop messing with the clocks, but the problem is no one can agree on whether we should stay on summer time or winter time. BeNeLux say they will all be iin the same time zone whatever is decided, even if it is different to France or Germany.
Personally I am happy with summertime all year as it dark mornings bother me less than seriously early light mornings would, but I know others disagree.
The meteorologists here have suggested an half hour shift and stay on that all year, as it would put us nearer our "correct" time.

Due to a certain virus the whole debate seems to be on hold anyway.
johnriley
Posted 25/10/2020 - 14:01 Link
It beats me why we make life so difficult. Rather than constantly changing the clocks why not agree to start an hour later if it's dark, or an hour earlier in summer? In fact, if we staggered the start time we could potentially halve the morning and evening congestion at a stroke.
Best regards, John
alfpics
Posted 25/10/2020 - 14:28 Link
johnriley wrote:
It beats me why we make life so difficult. Rather than constantly changing the clocks why not agree to start an hour later if it's dark, or an hour earlier in summer? In fact, if we staggered the start time we could potentially halve the morning and evening congestion at a stroke.

Or to really mess things up, move the whole world 30 minutes into the 'middle' of the time slot and leave it there!
Andy
Lubbyman
Posted 25/10/2020 - 16:11 Link
And to really, really mess things up, let's move the International Date Line to Greenwich. It makes much more sense to have it at zero longitude. Everything to the right is tomorrow, everything to the left is yesterday. As for today, that always seems to go very quickly, so it won't be missed.

Steve
DOIK
Posted 25/10/2020 - 18:21 Link
johnriley wrote:
It beats me why we make life so difficult.

Difficult, for about thirty years I did clock changes in County Durham and North Yorks. It took Friday, Monday and part of Sunday. This one was the busiest, as the master clocks had to be stopped and restarted. They were done in groups and timed to get from the last one back to the first to do the restarts.
I have reset two clocks today

I tried in vain to get hold of an oak cased master for our porch link

But I managed to get one of these link

John
davidwozhere
Posted 26/10/2020 - 00:35 Link
I recall the last time they played with this idea and left things as they were. It was dark. Most of the morning was dark. Car accidents rose horribly because the ice wasn't melting. Depressing, depressing, depressing!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
RobL
Posted 26/10/2020 - 10:24 Link
Our obsession with time accuracy started in the 19c with the introduction of railways apparently as timetables needed to be coordinated across the country. I learned this back in the days when Radio 4 had interesting programmes.
fatspider
Posted 26/10/2020 - 21:10 Link
Hardgravity wrote:
For some reason we still mess around with clocks at this time of the year.

By moving back an hour we actualy loose 2 houirs of daylight!

It doesn't make sense in the modern era!

Actually you don't lose anything, your just going back to what the time should really be

Interesting read here: https://www.timeanddate.com/time/uk/time-zone-background.html#:~:text=To%20save%20energy%20and%20help,and%20the%20seasonal%20practice%20kept.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Gwyn
Posted 27/10/2020 - 14:20 Link
October is however the longest month because of it, as the BBC continuity announcer pointed out last night.
JAK
Posted 27/10/2020 - 15:43 Link
fatspider wrote:
Actually you don't lose anything, your just going back to what the time should really be

It depends on what time you get up!
John K
jeallen01
Posted 27/10/2020 - 22:15 Link
JAK wrote:
fatspider wrote:

It depends on what time you get up!

K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.