Another pointless thread

Hardgravity

Link Posted 28/10/2020 - 12:17
Why, when a parcel comes by royal mail, does the foot postie leave it in a safe place but a van driver takes it back to the depot?

2 parcels this week, both tracked, the first left behind the bins in the store and the second, this morning, taken back!

I now have to trail into Braford to collect in the morning!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 28/10/2020 - 12:18

Gwyn

Link Posted 28/10/2020 - 12:58
Pre Covid the van driver would leave it with the neighbours. Now they leave it in a safe place or try again the next day.
Foot postie barely manages to deliver the letters they are supposed to, never mind a parcel. We were supposed to get two letters today the app said. One arrived. The other may or may not come tomorrow, or the next day, or maybe never. Only junk mail so I am not fussed about it.

Ho hum now off for a socially distanced queue in the rain for my flu jab. I half expect them to say I won't get it since the government are now asking 60-70 year olds to wait and see if there are any left after everyone else who qualifies gets theirs. A bit late really - most doctors have already done all theirs. Ours is late this year.

pschlute

Link Posted 28/10/2020 - 23:28
Gwyn wrote:

Ho hum now off for a socially distanced queue in the rain for my flu jab. I half expect them to say I won't get it since the government are now asking 60-70 year olds to wait and see if there are any left after everyone else who qualifies gets theirs. A bit late really - most doctors have already done all theirs. Ours is late this year.

Our GP surgery did a great job this year. Drive-thru flu jabs. Pull into the bay, wind down window, elbow out, jab...drive away. Had ours done two months ago.
Peter

My Flickr page

RobL

Link Posted 29/10/2020 - 08:13
Our surgery did a great job in keeping jab days secret, I was told I missed it because I should keep checking their website although the NHS website I use to access their services showed nothing. Given you have a database could you not email everyone in the vulnerable category I asked, to be told they donít use emails. Or texts apparently. I managed to get done a couple of weeks ago but wonder if there is any point, given that the precautions we take for Covid 19 should also be effective against the flu. Such an argument fell on deaf ears with Mrs RobL who said if itís free we are having it!

bforbes

Link Posted 29/10/2020 - 08:14
We've had our Flue jab, but they had run out of Shingles jabs so I've got that to look forward to
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Gwyn

Link Posted 29/10/2020 - 08:18
It was the usual orgaised chaos by ours but we went early (advantage of a surname beginning with B) so the queue was only six people. We drove past a bit later on our way to town and the queue was snaking around the huge carpark. OUr GP is on the hospital campus so the carpark is huge, even though the hospital now is outpatients and day ops only.
Here in the Netherlands they never give flu jabs before October, saying if you have them too early they can wear off before flu season really gets going. Where we used to live they gave them in November, but here it was early to mid October normally, but we are later because of Covid. Last week the patients of the other doctor in the practice got theirs, so we got ours this week. And yes I got mine no problem, and whats more I don't feel guilty about doing it.

Aitch53

Link Posted 29/10/2020 - 08:21
RobL wrote:
Our surgery did a great job in keeping jab days secret, I was told I missed it because I should keep checking their website although the NHS website I use to access their services showed nothing. Given you have a database could you not email everyone in the vulnerable category I asked, to be told they donít use emails. Or texts apparently. I managed to get done a couple of weeks ago but wonder if there is any point, given that the precautions we take for Covid 19 should also be effective against the flu. Such an argument fell on deaf ears with Mrs RobL who said if itís free we are having it!

The local health centre sent me a letter 'inviting' me to give them a bell and arrange an appointment for the jab.

The letter was sent at the end of last month. The appointment is next Saturday...
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

bforbes

Link Posted 29/10/2020 - 08:42
There are some huge pot holes on the country lanes of The Lake District.
I hit most of them on a visit to Ennerdale this week.
So I'm just back from the garage to have a new exhaust fitted
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

Gwyn

Link Posted 29/10/2020 - 11:40
There are huge potholes all over England and we have managed to hit a fair number of them on recent trips in the camper. Even in apparently well to do areas like Buckinghamshire the holes can be big enough to hide a baby Nessie.

I've had Shingles. No laughing matter, but we have never been offered the jab here. His Nibs qualifies for the pneumonia one next year so that'll be flu in the left and pneumonia in the right arm. Lord know where they'll jab him for Covid .
Last Edited by Gwyn on 29/10/2020 - 11:41

Lubbyman

Link Posted 29/10/2020 - 14:42
The biggest potholes I've encountered were in Moscow in the mid-90s. The minibus used to drive us around seemed to have no suspension. Can't think why... Had to hold onto the seat or your head hit the roof at the next pothole.

The most annoying pothole was just outside my house. Tiny in the grand scheme of things, but couldn't miss it when going in or out of he drive. Just one of many along the road that were where cyclists ride. All patched up now, but a bad winter will surely see them return.

Steve

Gwyn

Link Posted 29/10/2020 - 14:57
The US has terrible roads, full of potholes and cracks, assuming they have bothered to surface them in the first place.

I'm sure there must be a pothole around here somewhere but I can't think of any.

bforbes

Link Posted 29/10/2020 - 15:06
bforbes wrote:

Got the quote, new camera gear is out
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

Gwyn

Link Posted 29/10/2020 - 15:45
bforbes wrote:
bforbes wrote:

Got the quote, new camera gear is out

That much?
We have had to spend on a lot on vehicles this year, even if we haven't been able to use them much, so you have my sympathy.

jeallen01

Link Posted 29/10/2020 - 20:02
No problems here in us both getting flu jabs at our local surgery around a month ago, and Sue got her shingles jab at the same time - but I didn't, and had to have a telephone appointment with my GP to discuss that (she found it hard to believe that I had never had either measles or German measles - but I hadn't because I was an only child and lived in a very small village!) and then agree that I could have it. BTW: no "reaction" to either jab - "forgot!" about both within about an hour or so

As for potholes, the worst, especially when full of rainwater (!), I've seen was in a road leading out of Weybridge in Surrey - which is, reputedly, one of the wealthiest counties in England (and I've since read/ seen/ heard that a lot of the Surrey locals are always complaining about "potholes") !
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 29/10/2020 - 20:32

Gwyn

Link Posted 29/10/2020 - 21:15
Here we have more trouble with potheads than potholes
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.