Another pointless thread

jeallen01

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 16:05
Lubbyman wrote:
davidwozhere wrote:
Get some sunflowers going and take lots of photographs of the results.

Or even better, run a competition for the tallest/biggest flower/most seeds etc.

A year ago I sent the children, grandchildren, neices etc. some sunflower seeds for Christmas with instructions for a competition to run during the next year (i.e. 2019). Even got the neice and family in the USA to join in (couldn't send seeds so my brother bought some when he visited them). The young (and even not so young) kids loved it. They kept up to date with each other's plants via Facebook etc.. There's even a family book of the competition - my younger daughter produced a photo book from everyon'e pictures throughout the year and gave it to me for Christmas.
Steve

On another forum of which I am a member, they have a competition each year to see who can grow the tallest sunflowers - some impressive results are sometimes over 8-9ft or a lot more, but, apparently you have be quite selective when choosing the variety to plant as the achievable heights do vary from variety to variety.

Anyone want to start the competition here?
(not me because I rarely grow them)
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 25/03/2020 - 16:08

Lubbyman

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 18:36
jeallen01 wrote:

On another forum of which I am a member, they have a competition each year to see who can grow the tallest sunflowers ...

And not me either - I did my bit last year!
jeallen01 wrote:
apparently you have be quite selective when choosing the variety to plant as the achievable heights do vary from variety to variety.

Very true. I sent Children in Need charity packs of seeds. Don't know if they were a specific variety or a mix of seeds that were surplus to requirements. The results were highly variable, but so were the growing conditions - from London to Denver, Colorado.

Steve

Benz3ne

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 19:30
jeallen01 wrote:

Id happily have a go, having grown essentially nothing before!

jeallen01

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 19:32
Benz3ne wrote:
jeallen01 wrote:

Id happily have a go, having grown essentially nothing before!

Go for it - and start a new thread about how it goes!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Lubbyman

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 21:56
The contorted hazel in a tub on the patio usually has a few nuts each year. Last autumn there were a couple on the ground so I put them in a pot of compost and forgot about them. One has now sprouted! The big question is whether it will be contorted or uncontorted. An no, I'm not going to suggest a 'grow a hazel' competition.

Steve

jeallen01

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 23:33
Hazel nuts!

We have a now rather-large hazel nut tree down the garden, grown from a sapling from my Mum's garden decades ago - usually lot's of ripening nuts on that until the local (grey!) squirrels get their claws on them, so not so many for "us"
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 25/03/2020 - 23:36

davidwozhere

Link Posted 26/03/2020 - 00:58
jeallen01 wrote: until the local (grey!) squirrels get their claws on them

There was a clip on Twitter recently where a woman had had enough of them raiding the bird feeding station. She greased the pole. The results were an absolute howl!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Gwyn

Link Posted 26/03/2020 - 08:10
Luckily we don't have grey squirrels here, nor any squirrels that I have seen where we are now - not enough trees. Where w used to live we'd see reds daily.

I love hazel nuts and they are so expensive so lucky you having a tree that produces them, even if you do't get many for yourself.

DOIK

Link Posted 26/03/2020 - 08:30
Last year was the best I have ever seen for hazel nuts. They were huge and sweet as a .......

John
My Photobucket

jeallen01

Link Posted 26/03/2020 - 09:23
If you want to see some really "creative" bird-feeder protection (mainly for pigeons though as well as a few squirrels), take a look at this thread started by one of the members of a satellite-centric forum that I belong to ,
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 26/03/2020 - 09:26

Hardgravity

Link Posted 26/03/2020 - 10:43
Just catching up, my how the thread's grown!

Good to hear everybody's Ok, and as for scrap wood..

..some neighbours took a fence between them down and passed the wood over to me to burn..

...but, some went in the stove but most is still in the garden as the images show..

And Mrs HG approves.

Cheers!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 26/03/2020 - 10:50
Oh, and I've just taken a delivery from a local brewery of 50ish bottles of beer.

God bless Saltairre Brewery for their new delivery service.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Gwyn

Link Posted 26/03/2020 - 11:02
Very impressive HG! Perfect place to enjoy those bottles of beer . Love the name too

LennyBloke

Link Posted 26/03/2020 - 11:43
Noticing the quiet in the garden - amongst the birdsong there is one little tweeter who chirps out the tune of the first line of "Come on Eileen" - make me smile every time I hear it
LennyBloke

HarisF1

Link Posted 26/03/2020 - 12:46
LennyBloke wrote:
Noticing the quiet in the garden - amongst the birdsong there is one little tweeter who chirps out the tune of the first line of "Come on Eileen" - make me smile every time I hear it

That sounds really cute!

Would you be able to get a recording?
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.