Another pointless thread

davidwozhere

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 00:24
I've been in the garden -tidiest it's been for a long time! I filled a load of 5inch pots with compost and stuck a giant sunflower seed in each one. They are in the little plastic greenhouse thing until the frost is all done with. So there is something we can all do for fun. Get some sunflowers going and take lots of photographs of the results.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

K10D

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 08:54
pschlute wrote:
K10D wrote:
A fact of life Peter.

No...it is a figure that is within our power to influence if we take it seriously.

p,m, sent Peter

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

K10D

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 08:59
The sun's out and after a few other jobs to do, I'll sort out some glass, macro and others along with some extension tubes.

I treated my garden workshop yesterday to it's bi-annual oiling. Looks well shiny. Mrs K10D cut the grass (no doubt there will be snow on the way).

I noted yesterday that when the recycle collection was taking place, all I could hear was the sound of glass? Sort of gives the impression people are drinking at home somewhat more than normal.......

johnriley

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 09:26
Quote:
the little plastic greenhouse thing

We bought one of those last year for tomatoes. It was a dramatic failure, but we did learn a bit about growing tomatoes and might try again this year.

Meanwhile, the garden is looking better for a bit of TLC.
Best regards, John

Lubbyman

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 09:43
davidwozhere wrote:
Get some sunflowers going and take lots of photographs of the results.

Or even better, run a competition for the tallest/biggest flower/most seeds etc.

A year ago I sent the children, grandchildren, neices etc. some sunflower seeds for Christmas with instructions for a competition to run during the next year (i.e. 2019). Even got the neice and family in the USA to join in (couldn't send seeds so my brother bought some when he visited them). The young (and even not so young) kids loved it. They kept up to date with each other's plants via Facebook etc.. There's even a family book of the competition - my younger daughter produced a photo book from everyon'e pictures throughout the year and gave it to me for Christmas.

Steve

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 09:58
The only sunflowers I've ever grown are one planted by the birds. Not huge ones but still very cheerful.

Benz3ne

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 10:10
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
the little plastic greenhouse thing

We bought one of those last year for tomatoes. It was a dramatic failure, but we did learn a bit about growing tomatoes and might try again this year.

I personally fancy a 'Vegepod', can take up as little or much room as I want, and would let me dabble with veg growing. The garden desperately needs a tidy first, though.

Edit: Perhaps a small greenhouse would be less expensive, though.
Last Edited by Benz3ne on 25/03/2020 - 10:11

bforbes

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 10:11
Talking of birds. Is it just me or have they gone quiet
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

K10D

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 10:46
bforbes wrote:
Talking of birds. Is it just me or have they gone quiet

They went quiet just after I got married.

The feathered variety do seem sparse. We are not feeding them as we have run out of bird seed so other when any bits of bread or bacon rind gets put out, they are quiet during the day but still provide a dawn chorus.

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 12:12
Maybe they are all here. Our garden is bursting with birds singing away, the woodpecker regularly comes to call, we had our very first goldfinch on Sunday.
Of course we also get more than our fair share of corvids (not covids), rooks, magpies jackdaws and crows all come by to see what they can find.
No ducks in the garden so far this year thank goodness, and the coot hasn't been in for a while either.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 13:13
Chaffinch, wren, dunnock, robin and skylark heard while walking the dog in fields over the last couple of days.

Wood pigeons on the garden fences showing varying degrees of enthusiasm for starting the next generation.

Plenty of gulls flying around, one or two using my car for target practice.

Steve

bforbes

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 14:00
I now know the difference between covid and corvid
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 14:37
Was out in the garden attacking weeds and we heard a curlew! Wonderful sound. It must be over in the nature reserve near us. Not that we are able to visit - they have closed the hides, but nice to hear.

I wish we had skylarks. None here, even though I live on The Lark.
I remember Scotland last year and the numbers of skylarks were astounding, and they weren't at all shy either. Didn't manage a photo of one though!

As for the weeding we are trying to clear the golden rod from the garden, a thankless task.
I swear they were growing up as fast as I could clear them.

johnriley

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 15:24
Quote:
As for the weeding we are trying to clear the golden rod from the garden

That's ironic in that I've been trying to introduce Golden Rod into ours, with very little success. It must be unsuitable soil.

When I was growing up we had masses of Golden Rod at my Mum and Dad's house and I guess I must have fond memories of it. What I have introduced successfully is the Montbretia that is a direct descendent of the Montbretia that my Granny planted in the 1930s. I took some of the original bulbs and they have thrived in our garden. A resplendent mass of colour every August.

I'm just a hopeless romantic really, keeping the links to the past,
Best regards, John

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/03/2020 - 15:32
That is lovely John! I love Monbretia, and hope to get some growing here eventually.

Just be grateful golden rod doesn't work. It is the ultimate thug in our garden, which is full of thugs. Heavy clay here means working it is a challenge. Too wet most of the winter, then sets like concrete for most of the summer!

Just went out to do something else and blow me down if there weren't three new shoots of golden rod on an area I thought I'd cleared . If it wasn't taking over the whole garden I'd leave it.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.