Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Another pointless thread

Hardgravity
Posted 22/03/2020 - 16:10 Link
Reminds me of Arkwrights...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
RobL
Posted 22/03/2020 - 17:04 Link
Hardgravity wrote:
Reminds me of Arkwrights...

No-one’s had the nerve to ask for fork handles!
jeallen01
Posted 22/03/2020 - 18:10 Link
Door keys!

Decades ago, during relocation to Bristol, I was in temporary accommodation in a cheap 3-bed terrace house on an estate in Yate, just outside the city,

Few months later the house was burgled whilst I was out one evening and the back door was open, called the police etc., and then found that one of the backdoor keys was missing. Next day I went to a hardware shop on the estate to get another key cut - but when I showed the existing one to the assistant, he just pulled one of a drawer and said, laughingly, "No problem, there are only 5 different keys for the whole estate!"

Thus, if my local hardware shop said something like that today after my buying a new house, I would immediately change the locks on all the doors for something far more secure!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Edited by jeallen01: 22/03/2020 - 18:12
Hardgravity
Posted 23/03/2020 - 07:42 Link
The first thing my kids did when they got their houses was changfe the locks.

Honesty's house had been on the market for ages and had many visits, Shiney's house was a failed rental.

It just seems a sad logic to do it these days.

Social isolation has driven me to make use of a load of fencing beams and things from a neighbours old fence, I'm half way through building a gazebo...

..don't ask!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Edited by Hardgravity: 23/03/2020 - 07:44
Lubbyman
Posted 23/03/2020 - 10:33 Link
Hardgravity wrote:
I'm half way through building a gazebo...

..don't ask!

OK, I won't. But I might speculate if you don't tell.

Steve
davidruane
Posted 23/03/2020 - 14:34 Link
Well thats it for now - no more photos for a while. Greece has now gone into total lockdown and the only way to be allowed to move is to send a message to the government site (either by mail or SMS) and be given permission. Unfortunately this even includes taking the dog for a walk

Oh well.... yet again done to protect us from the muppets that either don`t care enough to self isolate or consider themselves immune.

At least the dog can`t get it

Take care folks.

David
Today is a great day - they always are if you wake up
K10D
Posted 23/03/2020 - 17:25 Link
I'm puzzled. The last three years in the UK has seen an average of 17,000 deaths from influenza. Since October, 20,000 have died in the USA from flu complications. WHO puts figures out of 500,000 deaths globally due to flu.

I can find no reports of such drastic actions such as we are seeing now being implemented to curb the death rates.

I/we are isolating and are following the guidelines and advice.

After this event, who will actually be buying luxury goods? Most retail sectors will disappear. Most jobs will be gone. Debt will hit levels never imagined.
Although puzzled, am I completely wrong on this one?
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
RobL
Posted 23/03/2020 - 17:57 Link
K10D wrote:
I'm puzzled. The last three years in the UK has seen an average of 17,000 deaths from influenza. Since October, 20,000 have died in the USA from flu complications. WHO puts figures out of 500,000 deaths globally due to flu.

I can find no reports of such drastic actions such as we are seeing now being implemented to curb the death rates.

I/we are isolating and are following the guidelines and advice.

After this event, who will actually be buying luxury goods? Most retail sectors will disappear. Most jobs will be gone. Debt will hit levels never imagined.

The predicted best outcome as far as I can tell is 3x that death rate, but could be higher if precautions aren’t followed. When things return to normal the vacuum left by closed companies and manufacturers will be filled by new ventures and survivors expanding.

My son works for EWM which is shutting down tomorrow, today an old lady came in for a refund wearing a mask and gloves, coughing. She was bored staying at home apparently. That is why the mortality rate will be higher than best outcome, most people are stupid and selfish.

Grandson still stuck in Barbados waiting for a flight home, has moved in with a very attractive medical consultant. Poor sod.
Edited by RobL: 23/03/2020 - 17:58
K10D
Posted 23/03/2020 - 18:00 Link
I hadn't seen the 3x figure Robert. The grandson's situation sounds like real hard yards.
RobL
Posted 23/03/2020 - 18:03 Link
K10D wrote:
I hadn't seen the 3x figure Robert. The grandson's situation sounds like real hard yards.

It was on one of the PM’s briefings.
K10D
Posted 23/03/2020 - 18:42 Link
I saw a few briefings and once he said follow the science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V83JR2IoI8k

I got distracted
Gwyn
Posted 23/03/2020 - 19:01 Link
Currently they are not taking into account how many people who are dying of Corona would have died anyway. Many have some underlying disease. Some are only tested post mortem in the UK. I guess later in the year we will know how many "extra"deaths it really has caused.
The illness for most is mild but for some it is really serious and extremely painful and can result in permanent damage to the lungs. Not only the old.
We do not want to end up like Italy and Spain, but both the UK and NL are heading that way.
Benz3ne
Posted 23/03/2020 - 19:08 Link
Gwyn wrote:
Currently they are not taking into account how many people who are dying of Corona would have died anyway. Many have some underlying disease. Some are only tested post mortem in the UK. I guess later in the year we will know how many "extra"deaths it really has caused.
The illness for most is mild but for some it is really serious and extremely painful and can result in permanent damage to the lungs. Not only the old.
We do not want to end up like Italy and Spain, but both the UK and NL are heading that way.

Or how many people have died from unconfirmed cases. Or how many people have contracted unconfirmed or how many people have recovered from unconfirmed.
It really is a massive statistical grey area as things stand.
Is the permanent damage confirmed? I thought the fibrosis effect wasn’t certain at this point.
Either way it’s aggressively infectious and for that reason it’s best to exercise caution.
Edited by Benz3ne: 23/03/2020 - 19:09
K10D
Posted 23/03/2020 - 19:11 Link
Gwyn wrote:
The illness for most is mild but for some it is really serious and extremely painful and can result in permanent damage to the lungs. Not only the old. We do not want to end up like Italy and Spain, but both the UK and NL are heading that way.

Very true. Whilst in Russia some years back, several of us had severe flu. It ended with one the the guys having damaged heart muscle! It was diagnosed by a Russian doctor, the chap disputed the diagnosis so flew to Moscow and saw the doctor at the British Embassy. He confirmed what the Russian doctor had said.

Unfortunately, all those who will be out of work and can't pay their mortgage will suffer a lot longer.
Lubbyman
Posted 23/03/2020 - 19:29 Link
K10D wrote:

There are two differences between Covid-19 and a flu epidemic.

The first difference is that nobody - literally nobody - has any immunity to Covid-19 unless and until they have been infected and survived. That means there is nothing to stop it until most of the population has had it. Even a small death rate means a huge number of deaths. They will be heavily weighted to the most vulnerable - the elderly, those with other medical conditions etc. etc. HMG changed strategy because they were facing the prospect of 1/4 million deaths. They are now aiming for a much lower figure apparently (less than 20,000 deaths would be a good result).

That doesn't happen with flu because of two things. First, with some seasonal flu, many people are immune because they've encountered a similar variety in previous years. Second, vaccines are developed quickly and given to the most vulnerable before the epidemic takes hold. That keeps the number of flu deaths to a relatively low level, even when there is a quite different variant of the virus.

The second difference is that a flu epidemic is spread out during the winter (it's to do with immunity in the population). It puts hospitals under strain but is generally managable in most places. Covid-19, however, spreads very quickly so hospitals across the country will be swamped very quickly too unless very drastic measures are taken. That means lots of people will die who would survive if the epidemic were spread out like flu.

As for 'how many people would have died anyway', the answer is 'all of them, eventually'. It's better to look at it in terms of premature death and years of life lost. How much is an extra year of life worth? If it's a much loved family member? If it's you?

Sorry to go on for so long, but it's very important that people do not regard this as just like a flu epidemic. It might have much the same symptoms, but the effect on the population is potentially very much worse. Which is why drastic measures are justified.

Well done to all who are following the official advice. You might be saving a few lives. Perhaps even yours...

Steve
Edited by Lubbyman: 23/03/2020 - 19:31

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.