Another pointless thread

Gwyn

Link Posted 13/02/2020 - 13:52

Hadn't realised I was there already when I responded to the 17-70 SDM thread or I'd have come here first.

davidruane

Link Posted 13/02/2020 - 14:23
Weather is getting bad here in Greece too. Down to 16c
Today is a great day - they always are if you wake up

Gwyn

Link Posted 13/02/2020 - 15:05
It will be that here at the weekend

Benz3ne

Link Posted 13/02/2020 - 15:54
davidruane wrote:

That's t-shirt and shorts weather in my books!

jeallen01

Link Posted 13/02/2020 - 15:58
Benz3ne wrote:
davidruane wrote:

That's t-shirt and shorts weather in my books!

And on top of those
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

HarisF1

Link Posted 17/02/2020 - 12:33
I know this isn't as pointless as most posts but I didn't want to start a new topic. I rediscovered a K100d I've had for a while and got it working with Eneloops. After spending around 30 minutes messing with the focus adjustment I put the lens (DA35) onto my K-3 and the difference in size and build quality from the k100d completely blew my mind. The bigger screen and viewfinder made all the difference.

I think I might do this more often just to appreciate how good the newer bodies are. However the colours on the K100d are pretty interesting so I'm not complaining!

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/02/2020 - 12:49
That sounds dangerously like a less than pointless post .

Glad you had fun with your old toy though.

I spent the weekend stripping one lot of wallpaper and replacing it with another. Now that is pretty pointless when you think about it.

bforbes

Link Posted 17/02/2020 - 12:52
I think that is an entirely appropriate subject for a new topic. That's the K100d not the wallpaper
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
Last Edited by bforbes on 17/02/2020 - 12:53

HarisF1

Link Posted 17/02/2020 - 12:56
I don't know whether to smile or weep at making a non-pointless post

Wait let me make it less pointy - I've been looking at the forecasts and it seems as though the next storm/patch of bad weather might be with us in a week or so. If it's a named storm it will be called 'Ellen'.
Last Edited by HarisF1 on 17/02/2020 - 12:58

RobL

Link Posted 17/02/2020 - 14:31
HarisF1 wrote:
I don't know whether to smile or weep at making a non-pointless post

Wait let me make it less pointy - I've been looking at the forecasts and it seems as though the next storm/patch of bad weather might be with us in a week or so. If it's a named storm it will be called 'Ellen'.

Since when did we start giving storms names? A bit of wet and windy weather and we go all hysterical although if I had been flooded or decapitated by a falling tree I might feel rather less sanguine.

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/02/2020 - 14:44
Apparently the Met office thinks giving them names raises aawareness of them and their dangers.
Used to be the Met office and Met Eirann who named them. The Dutch KNMI has joined in this year as well.
Personally I was happy when the Dutch didn't name them - they didn't seem to affect us as much when they were anonymous.

It is still a SW7 out there now. Slightly better for us than a west wind but not a lot.
The back garden is flooded, and the canal out the front is very high, but they are pumping like crazy so hopefully the water levels will drop soon.

HarisF1

Link Posted 17/02/2020 - 16:22
Naming storms does raise awareness. The only problem is that having 'awareness' doesn't seem to benefit many people, it just seems to cause panic. The tabloids take the opportunity to scare everyone a little bit more and we end up with all kinds of problems.

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/02/2020 - 16:43
True, but you can't blame the met Office for that. If they didn't name them the redtops would come up with their own awful names for these things.
I feel so sorry for all those affected by the storms. Devastating for all, and no one seems to respond to the problem either before to help stop peoples lives being detroyed, or after to help them piece them back together.
Here our water tax has gone up again by nearly 5%, (so more than 450 pa) but we are happy to pay as that helps to keep our feet dry ( for example dike maintenance), as well as our waterways clean, and our sewage treated. That is on top of the price of water per m.

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/02/2020 - 16:52
Oops sorry now I am making a point.

New wallpaper is definitely better than the old. Painting a couple of bits of plywood now to make sliding doors, tomorrow we'll get the wood for my new desk I hope. I might even have access to my computer and camera gear again by the end of the week.

RobL

Link Posted 17/02/2020 - 18:06
Just when everyone is supposed to be planting trees to help relieve floods Warwickshire CC has uprooted a half mile avenue of mature trees just to widen the road into Leamington Spa, resulting at a bottleneck where it narrows again. I do wonder where they find these boneheads.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.