360° feedback

Dodge69
Posted 27/09/2011 - 12:25 Link
I wish Pentax would bring out a Full Frame body

OK thanks to Axel we have identified a changing in culture is required? :

as a workaround for the members-

i) How about when adding a picture to the Gallery or Your Photos ask for C&C if required and post a link to this thread in the comments?

or ideally if the forum operator embraces continual improvement-

ii) Add a critique 'Gallery' or 'forum option to Your Photos' along with the guidelines (perhaps this could be done at the same time as the IT job adding the 'Lounge' to the forum )

Or perhaps simply

iii) adding some blurb to the Gallery picture upload screen describing what to say and what to expect if you would like C&C on your image. Or even a tick box 'C&C requested' this would autofill the comments box.

What do you think?

Change possible Mr President? Or is this just going the same way as the last time it was suggested, just another thread of hopes and dreams.....

I wish Pentax would bring out a Full Frame body
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
japers45
Posted 27/09/2011 - 12:30 Link
I don't mind if someone assessing my images posts their images or not, I dont think it is a reciprocal arrangement.

I am interested in what my 5 year old boy thinks of my shots because his viewpoint is a different one to mine- that is why I post images on PU and am happy to leave comments for those who want feedback.

Everyone has the tools to give comments on an image as long as they have their eyesite.
Pentaxophile
Posted 27/09/2011 - 12:45 Link
japers45 wrote:
I don't mind if someone assessing my images posts their images or not, I dont think it is a reciprocal arrangement.

I am interested in what my 5 year old boy thinks of my shots because his viewpoint is a different one to mine- that is why I post images on PU and am happy to leave comments for those who want feedback.

Everyone has the tools to give comments on an image as long as they have their eyesite.
No it doesn't bother me either, although sometimes it's nice to be able to see a commenter's work, to see where they're coming from. I can see why some people would be bothered though, if they kept getting harsh comments from someone.

As far as I can tell, everyone who has participated in this thread gives fair and reasonable comments without shying away from suggesting improvements. If Jeff has ruffled feathers, it must be some sort of misunderstanding, as all his recent comments are very polite.
tyronet2000
Posted 27/09/2011 - 13:03 Link
fatspider wrote:
English language, (I will forgive the dyslexic amongst you)
I wonder who decided dyslexia would be a grand name for word blindness
Don't you just love medical terms. After a couple of ops for cancer I read on a report that I had borborygmi Scared the life out of me until I googled it

Regards
Regards
Stan

PPG
Edited by tyronet2000: 27/09/2011 - 13:21
grahamwalton
Posted 27/09/2011 - 13:57 Link
Remember, photographers often have a similar emotional attachment to their photographs, as they do their children.
Don't tell them their kids are ugly! Learn to be tactful.
Friendly Regards
Graham
DrOrloff
Posted 27/09/2011 - 14:21 Link
Well I hope my photos are better looking than my kids. Otherwise, what's the point of Photoshop.
Gwyn
Posted 27/09/2011 - 14:47 Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
I had borborygmi
Regards
His nibs has that too .

I personally don't post photos in the gallery, and rarely do I post in your photos. Not because I don't like criticism, positive or negative, but because I don't feel the need to share my photos.

I enjoy seeing other peoples photos and will say when I particularly like a photo. I can't always explain why I like it though, simply because sometimes I can't do that, I just know I like it.

I rarely post negative criticism - at most I make crop or straightening suggestions. I admit I sometime think negative things when I see some of the gallery photos, but I very rarely go there and comment even less there so I don't feel I can add negatives.

People are obviously pleased enough with the photos they post to want to share them. If they don't specifically ask for criticism who am I to comment negatively on their work, which they are clearly proud of?
AxelLuther
Posted 28/09/2011 - 15:37 Link
johnriley wrote:
Yes, and here I tell you that I am also a judge, appearing in camera clubs/photo societies in various places.

The basic principle is that when somebody puts up an image they have invested some of themselves in it. It's an expression and it's not to be trashed. Let's celebrate and highlight the positive aspects first and enjoy it along with its creator.

Then it is certainly OK to suggest improvements and point out any weaknesses, but with courtesy. Cheap shots are not on the agenda.

If we enjoy looking at pictures and genuinely want to help, this process can be honest without being negative.
Hi John - that's why I tried to avoid the phrase "negactive" and called it rather "critical feedback".... I aggree with you, that most members here don't take a snapshot and post it in the gallery - however - I e.g. invested hell lot of time in someof my pictures and when I upload them I normally think they are good and then you read a critical feedback about whatever, strange composition, missing elements, oversharpening andandand, you go back to your picture and think - yep - he/she is right.... these things I simply haven't seen when I produced it - getting pointed to them, makes you more aware and this has a nice "training effect" - after a while, you won't make this "error" again....
I also recognized that since I started this thread, I received more criticial feedback or change proposals to my pictures compared to before and I must say - I like them - they help so much to sharpen the own skills.
_____________________________________________

Colors are the lack of darkness

You find more of my pictures here: https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/axelluther or on my web page: www.axel-luther.com
AxelLuther
Posted 28/09/2011 - 15:39 Link
greynolds999 wrote:
I did suggest, a long time ago, that we have an 'anonymous' upload for such a critique area. That way, no egos are bruised and the poster can choose whether to reveal themself after an agreed period.
hmmm some people have a signiture - when I see their pictures I very often know that they are from them.... so such a category would not be too anonymous
_____________________________________________

Colors are the lack of darkness

You find more of my pictures here: https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/axelluther or on my web page: www.axel-luther.com
prsjnb
Posted 28/09/2011 - 16:35 Link
AxelLuther wrote:
greynolds999 wrote:
I did suggest, a long time ago, that we have an 'anonymous' upload for such a critique area. That way, no egos are bruised and the poster can choose whether to reveal themself after an agreed period.
hmmm some people have a signiture - when I see their pictures I very often know that they are from them.... so such a category would not be too anonymous
I think that greyreynolds999 suggestion is a good one and I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to arrange for the ID/signature of the user to be removed automatically during the upload; either, as suggested, until they chose to reveal their identity or automatically after an agreed period for the submission of feedback had elapsed (e.g. 72h). Either system would be likely, IMO, to improve the objectivity of the review process.

A further refinement might be to have the uploaded images grouped by category, thereby allowing prospective reviewers to concentrate on images likely to be of direct interest to them.

Jon
AxelLuther
Posted 28/09/2011 - 16:38 Link
prsjnb wrote:
AxelLuther wrote:
greynolds999 wrote:
I did suggest, a long time ago, that we have an 'anonymous' upload for such a critique area. That way, no egos are bruised and the poster can choose whether to reveal themself after an agreed period.
hmmm some people have a signiture - when I see their pictures I very often know that they are from them.... so such a category would not be too anonymous
I think that greyreynolds999 suggestion is a good one and I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to arrange for the ID/signature of the user to be removed automatically during the upload; either, as suggested, until they chose to reveal their identity or automatically after an agreed period for the submission of feedback had elapsed (e.g. 72h). Either system would be likely, IMO, to improve the objectivity of the review process.

A further refinement might be to have the uploaded images grouped by category, thereby allowing prospective reviewers to concentrate on images likely to be of direct interest to them.

Jon
With signiture I did not mean any technical thing - it is the style of some members that is unique enough to easily identify their work already in the small view
_____________________________________________

Colors are the lack of darkness

You find more of my pictures here: https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/axelluther or on my web page: www.axel-luther.com
Pentaxophile
Posted 28/09/2011 - 16:40 Link
Would be interesting to put that to the test
AxelLuther
Posted 28/09/2011 - 16:44 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Would be interesting to put that to the test
that would be a nice competition
_____________________________________________

Colors are the lack of darkness

You find more of my pictures here: https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/axelluther or on my web page: www.axel-luther.com
DrOrloff
Posted 29/09/2011 - 10:55 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
I disagree, Dr O. Unless by plain-talking you meant unconstructive.

I have very little creative ability in the visual sphere (so why do I bother? you might well ask!), but I can tell a good picture from a bad one, and I can usually see what makes a bad picture bad, or how an imperfect one could be improved.

As you yourself say, good critics are not always good executants, although in making that point I am not claiming to be a good critic myself.

This forum needs more people to give honest feedback, rather than the fawning platitudes which too many people resort to, and which have become too prevalent in the past two or three years.

G
No by plain talking I mean an honest, constructive opinion devoid of unnecessary platitudes.

I don't disagree that one doesn't have to take a great photograph to recognise one. But to understand one's critic is useful and their photos can tell you something about them,
like this for example.
Edited by DrOrloff: 29/09/2011 - 11:02
gartmore
Posted 29/09/2011 - 13:01 Link
I have largely stopped posting pictures here.

Firstly, commercial clients don't pay me to have their images (sometimes, commercially sensitive) posted on Pentax User.

Secondly, the paucity of C&C in personal work has led me to think, 'why bother?'. I can gaze at the screen and think 'great shot' of 'great capture', whatever that means, myself.

However, there is usually some remarkably thoughtful and perceptive criticism in the weekly competitions and long may that continue.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo