360° feedback
Posted 26/09/2011 - 19:47
Link
thanks George, I appreciate you taking the time.
Posted 26/09/2011 - 20:28
Link
Yes, and here I tell you that I am also a judge, appearing in camera clubs/photo societies in various places.
The basic principle is that when somebody puts up an image they have invested some of themselves in it. It's an expression and it's not to be trashed. Let's celebrate and highlight the positive aspects first and enjoy it along with its creator.
Then it is certainly OK to suggest improvements and point out any weaknesses, but with courtesy. Cheap shots are not on the agenda.
If we enjoy looking at pictures and genuinely want to help, this process can be honest without being negative.
The basic principle is that when somebody puts up an image they have invested some of themselves in it. It's an expression and it's not to be trashed. Let's celebrate and highlight the positive aspects first and enjoy it along with its creator.
Then it is certainly OK to suggest improvements and point out any weaknesses, but with courtesy. Cheap shots are not on the agenda.
If we enjoy looking at pictures and genuinely want to help, this process can be honest without being negative.
Best regards, John
Posted 26/09/2011 - 20:50
Link
I did suggest, a long time ago, that we have an 'anonymous' upload for such a critique area. That way, no egos are bruised and the poster can choose whether to reveal themself after an agreed period.
Posted 26/09/2011 - 21:10
Link
Greynolds- not sure about anonymous postings.
People need to lighten up , enjoy their hobby and not take themselves too seriously.
If they cant post on here without fearing the comments of other members then i would certainly have major concerns for them in the real world.
People need to lighten up , enjoy their hobby and not take themselves too seriously.
If they cant post on here without fearing the comments of other members then i would certainly have major concerns for them in the real world.
Posted 26/09/2011 - 21:17
Link
AxelLuther wrote:
The act of self appraisal reveals quite a lot and many questions can be answered ahead of asking others. Also it shows the areas you have doubts about which can be zeroed in by the respondents. I'd be more willing to engage at a deeper level if I'd seen what the creator thought about their own work first.
dougf8 wrote:
Perhaps if you did some analysis and appraisal of your own works and tried to understand things first you would benefit from others comments more.
Simple stuff like what you feel is good in the image, what is the focus of the image, how the background helps, what elements of composition you used to enhance the image, what you wanted the image to mean etc etc
It would be nice to see this kind of thing first which might give people an idea of the level you're thinking on.
If you just want to know if you have a Sharp photo with the right exposure, it would become clear.
What I meant was not so much feedback on the basics (although - wen I see photos of abslute beginner, even this is sometimes needed....I had things in mind like - a not ideal or too agressive crop and/or ccomposition, a too heavy usage of some filterings (such as sharpening), a non-ideal viep-point, halos in HDRs, or also the fact that a picture does (for what ever reason) not transfer the message it should transfer.Perhaps if you did some analysis and appraisal of your own works and tried to understand things first you would benefit from others comments more.
Simple stuff like what you feel is good in the image, what is the focus of the image, how the background helps, what elements of composition you used to enhance the image, what you wanted the image to mean etc etc
It would be nice to see this kind of thing first which might give people an idea of the level you're thinking on.
If you just want to know if you have a Sharp photo with the right exposure, it would become clear.
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 26/09/2011 - 21:21
Link
Doug - I think you are absolutely spot on.
Posted 26/09/2011 - 21:46
Link
dougf8 wrote:
I'd be more willing to engage at a deeper level if I'd seen what the creator thought about their own work first.
Yes, a bit of feedback from the Creator would be most instructive.I'd be more willing to engage at a deeper level if I'd seen what the creator thought about their own work first.
Frankly, with a complicated thing like a planet with life on it, I personally would have taken more time. Seven days is rushing it, and I think it shows.
G
PS: Joking apart, Douglas, I agree with everything you say.
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 26/09/2011 - 21:53
Link
johnriley wrote:
The basic principle is that when somebody puts up an image they have invested some of themselves in it. It's an expression and it's not to be trashed. Let's celebrate and highlight the positive aspects first and enjoy it along with its creator.
That hits the nail there. Comments are welcome, and criticisms usually are only okay if the original poster expressed so.The basic principle is that when somebody puts up an image they have invested some of themselves in it. It's an expression and it's not to be trashed. Let's celebrate and highlight the positive aspects first and enjoy it along with its creator.
Then again we have images that scream of wanting to be criticized! Especially marklj's photos, all of them. My main criticism would be: You should have taken me with you when you took those shots! LOL
Posted 26/09/2011 - 21:59
Link
Opethian wrote:
That hits the nail there. Comments are welcome, and criticisms usually are only okay if the original poster expressed so.
Hmm. I disagree. If somebody posts a photo on a photo forum he should expect people to comment on it, unless he specifically requests otherwise.That hits the nail there. Comments are welcome, and criticisms usually are only okay if the original poster expressed so.
And if he did, I'd comment anyway.
Quote:
Then again we have images that scream of wanting to be criticized! Especially marklj's photos, all of them. My main criticism would be: You should have taken me with you when you took those shots! LOL
Then I suggest you hie yourself down to the gym, or up the nearest mountain. That Mark is pretty fit.Then again we have images that scream of wanting to be criticized! Especially marklj's photos, all of them. My main criticism would be: You should have taken me with you when you took those shots! LOL
Cheers
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 26/09/2011 - 22:32
Link
I'm with George on this.
I want to improve and I'm not interested in getting a pat on the back- my family and friends can provide that.
I think that many new posters would rather get tactful criticism than a yawning silence when they post their early attempts.
In fact I think the more experienced members of the community should try really hard to make concise and tactful comments on as many images in the "my photos" section as possible.
I am going to try and give my feedback in this way- because of my lack of experience I may not always be able to suggest a solution though and for some that maybe unsatisfactory
I want to improve and I'm not interested in getting a pat on the back- my family and friends can provide that.
I think that many new posters would rather get tactful criticism than a yawning silence when they post their early attempts.
In fact I think the more experienced members of the community should try really hard to make concise and tactful comments on as many images in the "my photos" section as possible.
I am going to try and give my feedback in this way- because of my lack of experience I may not always be able to suggest a solution though and for some that maybe unsatisfactory
Posted 26/09/2011 - 22:56
Link
All true.
I am, however, more likely to comment on one picture than a whole load, unless they are part of an obvious sequence.
G
I am, however, more likely to comment on one picture than a whole load, unless they are part of an obvious sequence.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 26/09/2011 - 23:25
Link
It's usually a matter of time, so I tend to only comment on images that for some reason attract my attention, not necessarily because I like them but sometimes because they raise an interesting issue.
Best regards, John
Posted 26/09/2011 - 23:44
Link
I think this is a really interesting thread. I post quite a few pictures on PU (too many probably) and I agree with Axel's initial observation that there are not too many constructive criticisms applied. I also agree that if someone does not particularly like an image they will simply not place a comment rather than commenting negatively.
However, I also think that you learn very quickly what is seen as good or not good by other members simply by interpreting the lack of comments by certain of the more expert photographers who regularly post images in PU and / or provide comments on images posted by others (e.g. Puma, Dr. Orloff are two examples). I have not yet managed to gain a positive comment from Dr O, so I interpret this to mean that my pics are not yet good enough to merit a comment and I don't take this negatively in the slightest.
I've only ever received one comment that I perceived as negative rather than constructive. I sent a PM to the member that posted it but received no reply or acknowlegement. I think that says it all.
BTW, I try to post as many comments as possible, usually positive, occasionally constructive. As with Axel, I don't post if I really don't like the image.
I will continue to view the gallery and post pictures and comments as I personally feel it can only help me to improve.
Regards
David
However, I also think that you learn very quickly what is seen as good or not good by other members simply by interpreting the lack of comments by certain of the more expert photographers who regularly post images in PU and / or provide comments on images posted by others (e.g. Puma, Dr. Orloff are two examples). I have not yet managed to gain a positive comment from Dr O, so I interpret this to mean that my pics are not yet good enough to merit a comment and I don't take this negatively in the slightest.
I've only ever received one comment that I perceived as negative rather than constructive. I sent a PM to the member that posted it but received no reply or acknowlegement. I think that says it all.
BTW, I try to post as many comments as possible, usually positive, occasionally constructive. As with Axel, I don't post if I really don't like the image.
I will continue to view the gallery and post pictures and comments as I personally feel it can only help me to improve.
Regards
David
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


8192 posts
22 years
London
When I post some images feel free to be BRUTAL!
G
I have booked a therapy session in expectation.
BTW I posted some images yesterday in "my photos" entitled "Under The Bridge"- knock yourself out (gulp!)
G