All Forum Comments
Comment by wozfromcov posted on Macro but which one. at 25/02/2017 - 00:46
The Pentax 100mm WR is a cracking lens, quite small as well, good for portraits as well being F2.8 and on a PK crop camera is effectively 150mm
Comment by wozfromcov posted on Macro but which one. at 24/02/2017 - 15:05
I have had them all and they are all good, to be honest I have never come across a bad macro lens.
I kept the Pentax in the end purely because it's made by Pentax and it's a WR lens but I also have a old manual focus Vivitar S1 105mm f2.5 .
Comment by wozfromcov posted on Macro but which one. at 24/02/2017 - 13:59
so i'm looking for some advice from anyone who owns one of these lenses or has owned one.
also i know there may be an alternative i havent mentioned that might be worth considering
Comment by wozfromcov posted on Macro but which one. at 24/02/2017 - 13:43
would happily hang that on my wall at home.
Comment by wozfromcov posted on Oulton Park Gold Cup 2015 at 10/09/2015 - 23:07
Comment by wozfromcov posted on Motorsport: 2015 Oulton Park Gold Cup at 06/09/2015 - 20:03
we all know the ff is gonna be a bit special. just makes the wait even sweeter.
Comment by wozfromcov posted on Pentax FA 70-200 f2.8 release date pushed until next year at 01/09/2015 - 23:13
truly horrific.
Comment by wozfromcov posted on hoping at 23/08/2015 - 00:22
my k-30 was white and it got quite a few looks and second glances like i had signed a pact with the devil.
Comment by wozfromcov posted on which is the best colour at 22/08/2015 - 00:19
Comment by wozfromcov posted on From the bridge at Biddick at 22/08/2015 - 00:06


I have the Pentax 100WR and used to own the Sigma 105 DG EX. I sold the Sigma because I didn't need two macro lenses. However, it all depends on what you intend to use the lens for, is it just for macro work or do you intend other uses? The reason I ask is because the Sigma has a bit of an ace up its sleeve.
It is possibly the best portrait lens I have ever used, much better than the Pentax for this type of work. It has a sublime way of rendering skin tones and also has lovely bokeh. Another reason for selling it was my acquisition of a Pentax DA*50-135, also a superb portrait lens, but I think the Sigma is better, albeit fixed focal length.
For macro work, the Pentax is definitely the better lens, it is noticeably sharper and also being smaller / lighter is easier to handle when not using a camera support. The Pentax also has better build quality I think.
It may help if a few of us post images on the thread taken with each lens? Here are a few:
Sigma 105 Macro, this one with extremely shallow DOF due to extension tubes and wide aperture:
Sigma Macro:
Sigma Portrait:
Pentax Macro:
Pentax Macro:
Regards
David
macro mainly flowers i intend to focus on (no pun intended lol )
from those stunning shots they are very close in what they deliver and as portraits are not my thing i think the pentax may edge it with the weather proofing but you can pick up good copies of the sigma for about £170.
might take a look at the 50mm too
decisions........
thanks for posting the pictures that was very helpful and thoughtful.